R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Before I cable  (Read 4341 times)

Blas

Before I cable
« on: June 17, 2012, 07:22:15 PM »

Okay guys, I've reached a point where I'm not sure if it will fly- I have a Tascam TM-D4000 digital console (32 channel), that has served well for the past 10+ years, strictly control room monitoring. The console only offers 44.1 & 48k sample rate clocking.  I've used the D-Sub cable (Analogue out) from our Aurora 8 into the first 8 channels 1/4 inch in (we playback alot of our work in 5.1).
Here's the zinger..because I want to introduce a passive summing box into the system, I've thought about tapping the AES/EBU output from the converter into this console (I've had the option of adding the AES/EBU card, in one of the sets of 8, which I did) & then using those 1/4 inch feeds to the summing box.  Sooooo, what happens when a project is tracked @ 96k? Is my assumption correct that the AES/EBU feed just will not work at the higher rate?
Conjecture and theory are all well and good...but the proof comes out of the speakers - Fletcher
He who has said the pen is mightier than the sword, has never been in a pen & sword fight!- me

klett

Re: Before I cable
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2012, 12:34:12 PM »

depends on what you mean by "tap" - you should not split aes sources to multiple destinations...  it might work functionally but the digital signal will be degraded and your jitter and error rate will increase quite a bit...  it may not work at all...  so if you mean splitting aes to two places - not recommended

if you want to take an aes stream in to your console and then route that internally to a DA card to have that spewing out analog for your summing that's fine... 

sample rate...  as far as I know that console has sample rate conversion on it's inputs but not on the outputs so if you are running 44.1 or 48 you are pretty much stuck there... If your workstation is running 2xFs then maybe the DM4000 can take it in and down convert...  but that SRC is probably not 24 bit clean and not particularly transparent even as 16 bit so...  not good answers

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.11 seconds with 22 queries.