R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Fake AKG D112 (with Pics)  (Read 17980 times)

Sam Carlen

• Real Full Name: Sam Carlen
Fake AKG D112 (with Pics)
« on: June 23, 2012, 05:01:49 PM »

Hi guys. Well I bought a AKG D112 off of a second hand local marketplace online for $160. (It wasn't Ebay) But I looked into this mic and heard audio clips of it and heard it in person. So I was very excited. But when I got it, it came with a mic clip that is NOT what I see on pictures of this mic everywhere. It does say "AKG D112" on the mic. It came with the manual and warranty card and such but I could not register it on AKG.com. I compared it with another extremely cheap kick mic I had when I began (OSP model or something) and the AKG almost had no difference to the cheap mic. I opened it up just to take a look, there's no distinguishable markings that the parts are AKG made. I've NEVER heard of or seen anything about a fake one of these. Shure's yes I've seen. But is this actually possible that I may have purchased a fake one?? (I can post pics if needed)

Fletcher

Re: FAKE AKG D112?
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2012, 08:59:07 AM »

People counterfeit stuff all the time... the D-112 is popular enough that its probably worth counterfeiting.  If it sounds like ass... it might be time to lick your wounds, eat the loss, and go to the local Banjo Mart and get yourself an bona fide AKG version of the mic... or wait another week or two and check out the Telefunken M82 that is coming out in the middle of July [I've used a proto-type... it was awesome on kik!!! ...and bass... and the bottom rotor of a Leslie cabinet].

Peace
CN Fletcher

mwagener wrote on Sat, 11 September 2004 14:33
We are selling emotions, there are no emotions in a grid

"Recording engineers are an arrogant bunch
If you've spent most of your life with a few thousand dollars worth of musicians in the studio, making a decision every second and a half... and you and  they are going to have to live with it for the rest of your lives, you'll get pretty arrogant too.  It takes a certain amount of balls to do that... something around three"
Malcolm Chisholm

Sam Carlen

« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2012, 12:54:36 PM »

Yeah, thanks. I assume that would be a great possibility. Maybe I could even resell it as used for slighty lower than what I paid and just fork out an extra $50 for one at Guitar Center. At least I'll know that one will be real.  :D

Sam Carlen

« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2012, 05:33:32 PM »

Before I go crazy looking for a new kick drum mic. This mic doesn't sound AWFUL, just not great. It's average, kinda boomy, doesn't cut through a mix well like a Beta 52 I once used on the same kit. But here's some pics, could someone please tell me if these things I noticed are normal?? The lettering is pure white unlike what I've seen which is outlined in white. The weight of this mic is 3oz less than what I've seen it is supposed to be. And the clip is not the AKG SA-40 clip that suposedly comes with it. And I'm not sure if AKG really does make this microphone is China as is says. Any help would be great, thank you! (Sorry for bad quality)

Rick Sutton

« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2012, 07:04:24 PM »

This mic doesn't sound AWFUL, just not great. It's average, kinda boomy, doesn't cut through a mix
That's a better review than what I would give to my D112 that I'm sure is not a counterfeit!

Sam Carlen

« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2012, 11:27:00 PM »

That's a better review than what I would give to my D112 that I'm sure is not a counterfeit!

Really? I thought this mic was supposed to be one of the best? I hear good and bad things about it, maybe the consistency of a good sounding D-112 that AKG can make is just bad.  :P

Fletcher

Re: Fake AKG D112 (with Pics)
« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2012, 10:27:57 AM »

The old Bose theory in practice... "Better Sound Through Marketing".  You're a lot kinder to the D-112 than I have ever been... I hate those things with a hate that is usually reserved for the United States Congress.

Peace
CN Fletcher

If you've spent most of your life with a few thousand dollars worth of musicians in the studio, making a decision every second and a half... and you and  they are going to have to live with it for the rest of your lives, you'll get pretty arrogant too.  It takes a certain amount of balls to do that... something around three"
Malcolm Chisholm

Rick Sutton

« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2012, 12:41:38 PM »

Really? I thought this mic was supposed to be one of the best? I hear good and bad things about it, maybe the consistency of a good sounding D-112 that AKG can make is just bad.  :P
I don't think it's a consistency issue. That mic just sounds strange. To me it's all woof with no definition. I only keep mine around for one client that likes it on jazz kick drum. I have to twist the eq to new extremes to come close to anything acceptable to my ears.

Sam Carlen

« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2012, 04:25:47 PM »

I don't think it's a consistency issue. That mic just sounds strange. To me it's all woof with no definition. I only keep mine around for one client that likes it on jazz kick drum. I have to twist the eq to new extremes to come close to anything acceptable to my ears.

I had to do the same on a rock project I was just doing. EXTREME EQ cuts in the lower mids (125-200 hz especially) I think I may just go for a Beta 52A or D6, since I've used both with great results.

rocksure

• Real Full Name: Tony Koretz
« Reply #9 on: July 02, 2012, 07:22:42 AM »

Once upon a time I used to like them. Everyone seemed to be going for a clacky kick drum sound about 10-15 years ago. But these days I have gone off that scooped sound, and the D112 has become the opposite of a "go-to" mic to me. I prefer a more rounded sound, and if you want to add some tops there are other mics that probably do it better.
Royalty-free Music and Sound Effects
http://rocksuresoundz.com

Fletcher

« Reply #10 on: July 02, 2012, 08:50:22 AM »

In about 2 weeks time Telefunken is going to release their M82 "kik drum mic" -- you might want to give it a listen when it comes out.  I had "proto-type #5" for a while [which from what I understand will indeed be the production model] and was very impressed.

Peace
CN Fletcher

Malcolm Chisholm

rocksure

• Real Full Name: Tony Koretz
« Reply #11 on: July 19, 2012, 08:24:32 AM »

In about 2 weeks time Telefunken is going to release their M82 "kik drum mic" -- you might want to give it a listen when it comes out.  I had "proto-type #5" for a while [which from what I understand will indeed be the production model] and was very impressed.

Peace

Definitely got me interested. Still no pictures or info other than a "coming soon" on their website for it though.
Royalty-free Music and Sound Effects
http://rocksuresoundz.com

Fletcher

« Reply #12 on: July 20, 2012, 10:08:25 AM »

I heard yesterday that release has been backed up until October-ish... seeing as they haven't been promoting the release [I'm the only idiot who has been talking about it] this isn't a bad thing... but I still humbly submit, its going to be well worth the wait [or at least it is in my world, YMMV].

Peace
CN Fletcher

Malcolm Chisholm

luciolis

• Real Full Name: Adrian Shajkofci
« Reply #13 on: July 25, 2012, 09:50:08 AM »

Hi,

AKG is currently moving his entire production (excepted C414) to china. I think it is a shame, but your mic can be not a fake.

Fletcher

« Reply #14 on: July 25, 2012, 03:38:12 PM »

Moving production to China is only a drag for the Austrians who used to work at the AKG factory.  China has every capability to build things correctly... the only reason we view Chinese built product as inferior is because most of the "manufacturers" who have their products built in China specify loose tolerances [in order to save money], and cheap parts [in order to save money]. 

The "MacBook" i'm typing this response on was built in China... and its been working perfectly for close to 4 years now.  There is lots of other stuff that is built in China that is also perfectly fine... and I'm quite sure you will find AKG's build quality will remain unchanged [and their designs will continue along the path of solid mediocrity its been on for the last 25-30 years].

Peace
CN Fletcher

Malcolm Chisholm
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.055 seconds with 22 queries.