R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: C414eb replacement grill  (Read 10735 times)

John Cameron

C414eb replacement grill
« on: June 17, 2012, 10:23:15 PM »

I recently bought a C414eb for a great price but the grill has been hit a few times..  It sounds awesome so I'd like to clean it up with a new grill. Does anyone know if and where I can get one?

Thanks in advance, John

Studio One Pro, SL16.4.2, 1073lb, API A2D,Avalon VT737SP, Neumann, Shure - Rode - AKG - Sennheiser - Sony Microphones. JBL LSR4328P + LSR4312sp monitor system.

John Cameron

Re: C414eb replacement grill
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2012, 10:35:12 PM »

Studio One Pro, SL16.4.2, 1073lb, API A2D,Avalon VT737SP, Neumann, Shure - Rode - AKG - Sennheiser - Sony Microphones. JBL LSR4328P + LSR4312sp monitor system.

klaus

« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2012, 12:27:42 AM »

Two options:

1. Get a new grill form AKG. The shape, attachment method and color has not changed in years. Your mic seems to be a black P-48 version, with one grill half being black, the other silver, as Michael Brebes points out (see post below).

2. Open up the mic at the bottom (four screws), push down the amplifier housing, lift each grill half upwards at its bottom (opposite from the capsule top), and disengage it from its seating nipple at the very top of the frame bar.  Once the grill halves are off, you can disassemble the two screens from each grill half and remove the dents by placing the grill half onto a smooth, even surface and gently hammering out the dents from the inside.

The black paint chips easily, so make sure that the surface on which this activity takes place is not too hard (I use a polyurethane block from a skateboard wheel axle.)
Klaus Heyne
German Masterworks®
www.GermanMasterworks.com

radiovinhet

• Real Full Name: Luis Fernando
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2012, 04:10:40 PM »

I guess that AKG don't have 414eb parts anymore. I think that 414 eb/buls grill is different from new 414s.

mbrebes

• Real Full Name: Michael Brebes
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2012, 04:22:57 PM »

The mic you have is a 414EB-P48.  Black grill on back and chrome on front.  They are the same as the ULS.  I suspect AKG will have the parts still available.

radiovinhet

« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2012, 03:47:12 PM »

I've contacted AKG last month, about NOS parts for 414 b-uls... they don't answered yet. That' why i like Neumann support, they always try to help me.

GYMusic

« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2012, 04:49:34 PM »

I don't intend to take away from John's original post.  If it is felt that this is unrelated, please move or remove.

I have an '89 C-414 B-ULS with case rash.  Are these parts available?

Thanks, GY

Now that I've found the page on the AKG site, I see that many of these parts are still available.  My question now is, how does one go about ordering them?  I could not find that info on the site.  TNX

klaus

« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2012, 06:09:02 PM »

Can you share the link to the parts site, for the benefit of our readers?

Klaus Heyne
German Masterworks®
www.GermanMasterworks.com

GYMusic

« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2012, 07:01:49 PM »

Hello Klaus,

Glad to oblige.

"For a list of spare parts including ear pads, carrying bags, and cables you can order direct from AKG, go to http://www.akg.com/site/powerslave,id,7,nodeid,7,_language,EN,cat,11.html"

http://www.akg.com/site/powerslave,id,7,nodeid,7,_language,EN,cat,11.html

radiovinhet

« Reply #9 on: June 21, 2012, 01:43:42 PM »

If you don't find a new housing, you can make a new paint job... it's not difficult

Jim Williams

« Reply #10 on: June 22, 2012, 11:23:12 AM »

You can take the case to a powder coating outfit. They will sand-blast the old paint off and powercoat the case in any color you want.

radiovinhet

« Reply #11 on: June 23, 2012, 08:57:43 AM »

Klaus,

Jim answered  ;)

GYMusic

« Reply #12 on: June 23, 2012, 11:25:02 AM »

You can take the case to a powder coating outfit. They will sand-blast the old paint off and powercoat the case in any color you want.

TNX Jim,

That's something I hadn't thought of.  Come to find out, I do have a local "powder coating outfit".  It may be a week or so, but I'll report on what I find out.

GY

Jim Williams

« Reply #13 on: June 24, 2012, 01:27:49 PM »

You will want a thin coat applied. If you want the lettering to show, have them fill the lettering with white paint and it should look like new again. Power coat seals in the metalwork so that rash should not re-occur.

GYMusic

« Reply #14 on: June 24, 2012, 05:57:19 PM »

You will want a thin coat applied. If you want the lettering to show, have them fill the lettering with white paint and it should look like new again. Power coat seals in the metalwork so that rash should not re-occur.

Excellent, Jim.  TNX

GY
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.042 seconds with 23 queries.