R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Recommendations on a clean pre for Pullet make-up gain  (Read 5324 times)

Hermetech Mastering

• Real Full Name: Gregg Janman
Recommendations on a clean pre for Pullet make-up gain
« on: May 24, 2012, 08:03:03 AM »

Just looking for some recommendations on a clean mic preamp to use for make up gain with my Thermionic Culture Pullet EQ.

I'm currently using a Chandler TG2, and I love it with the Pullet, they've lived together for nearly three years! But I have never used anything else, and am second guessing whether a different/cleaner pre might not sound even better, and be more suited to a mastering chain.

The bad thing is I'll likely need to sell the TG2 before buying something to replace it, always risky if I don't like what I end up with. I can probably rent/borrow a few from FunkyJunk here to try first.

The only stipulations are that it leans towards the "clean" end of the spectrum, and possibly most importantly, that it has an output impedance of 1200 ohms (or can easily be modded to give this).

Question: What horrible fate might befall the Pullet if the mic pre does not have an output impedance of 1200 ohms? From the Pullet manual:

The pre-amp that is used will need to give approximately 40dB of gain to the signal after it has been passed through the Pullet and ideally the pre-amp will have an input impedance of 1200Ω. This will allow the signal to be kept at unity gain when the Pullet is either in bypass or when there is no equalisation being used.

Here are the contenders so far:

Forssell SMP-2
GML 8302
Pendulum Audio MDP-1

Any others to consider? Recommendations? No-no's etc?

Thanks in advance,

Gregg

djwaudio

• Real Full Name: Dana J White
Re: Recommendations on a clean pre for Pullet make-up gain
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2012, 07:45:23 PM »

I've been curious to hear how the Pullet would sound with a Prism Orpheus.  I believe the input impedance of the mic pres are 5.5k Ohm. 
Respectfully submitted,

Dana J White
Specialized Mastering
www.specializedmastering.com

aleatoric

• Real Full Name: Mark Trewella
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2012, 08:04:13 PM »

Here are the contenders so far:

Forssell SMP-2
GML 8302
Pendulum Audio MDP-1

Out of those three I'd go with the Forssell SMP-2. 

Hermetech Mastering

« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2012, 03:32:49 AM »

Thanks guys, will look at the preamp manuals, and ask TC about the impedance thing!

Hermetech Mastering

« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2012, 06:27:11 AM »

Got a GML coming on Friday and can use it for the weekend before returning it, so will run a couple of projects through the TG2 and the GML, and see if I like the difference!

Miguel P. Marques

• Real Full Name: Miguel Marques
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2012, 04:20:38 AM »

I haven't had the time to setup de Pullet mostly now that i'm transitioning to new speakers but I'll be using the Prism Sound Orpheus preamplifiers.

I'll give you my opinion on it later, even though I can't directly compare the Pullet with other preamps.
Bender Mastering Studio
www.bendermasteringstudio.com

Miguel P. Marques

• Real Full Name: Miguel Marques
« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2012, 02:06:13 PM »

Had my first sessions with the Pullet and first impressions are great!

Compared to the Maselec, the Pullet is cleaner sounding, almost transparent, specially in the highs. Even the 6dB boost sounds very natural in this unit, in a way that it actually doesn't sound like a 6dB boost is being applied.

I don't have any other preamps around but I'm guessing the Pullet works better on clean type preamps... Clean and natural are the words that come to my mind with the Pullet, so having a colorful preamp would change that, I can't imagine how it would sound with those preamps.

If you need a sample, send me a audio file and the exact settings on the Pullet and I'll apply it so you can compare to your setup. It's not the exactly same setup but it should give you the idea of how it sounds with clean preamps.
Bender Mastering Studio
www.bendermasteringstudio.com

Hermetech Mastering

« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2012, 02:23:23 PM »

Thanks for the comments. I am glad you are enjoying the Pullet Miguel, it's absolutely fantastic hey? Mine is soon to be upgraded with switches on everything, and 12, more subtle positions on the high shelf. I've always felt it was slightly coloured, but I've also been told by others using it for mastering that with a clean pre it is extremely clean sounding. It must be due to my Chandler! :)

Sorry not to report back sooner. I was loaned a GML 8204 pre for one weekend a couple of weeks ago, and had a day to play with it. The difference was not subtle, and I'd go so far as to say I think I'd probably prefer the GML sound on the majority of projects. All the clichéd adjectives would apply: it sounded cleaner, more open, more "hifi", faster/snappier on the transients, less coloured, less phasey/rounded in the upper bass/low mids etc. Of course for some projects the TG2 is just what is needed, but maybe not the majority...

The only negatives I could find with the GML were that it had no output attenuation, and no DI inputs, both of which I occasionally use on the TG2, but both of which could be achieved with separate boxes on the GML if I really did miss them. The GML is actually cheaper than the TG2 as well (including PSUs).

So now my conundrum is what to do...

I'd also really like to try out the Sonic Farm Creamer Plus pre before making a final decision. Whilst the GML would be "set and forget", and sounds incredible, the Creamer has a ton of flavour options, whilst still apparently sounding very clean and snappy. I'm going to see if there's a demo unit still floating about, I know Abbey Road had one last year that the SF guys said I could try out, but I didn't take them up on the offer at the time.

Thanks for the audio offer as well Miguel. I'll definitely take you up on it and send you a file via PM, hopefully tomorrow (but no rush!) I'd also be happy to do the same for you if you send me a file, so you can hear how it sounds via the Chandler.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.075 seconds with 22 queries.