R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Down

Author Topic: single space lunchbox for AMS Neve 1073LB modules  (Read 8960 times)

John Cameron

single space lunchbox for AMS Neve 1073LB modules
« on: May 16, 2012, 05:19:17 PM »

I've been poking around lately trying to find a single space lunchbox that works with the 1073LB modules. Neve only approves the 500-6b lunchbox but I'd like to find a single rack mountable lunchbox to add a pair of 1073lb's to my inventory. Does anyone know of rack that will work with the 1073lb's?

Thanks in advance,

John
Studio One Pro, SL16.4.2, 1073lb, API A2D,Avalon VT737SP, Neumann, Shure - Rode - AKG - Sennheiser - Sony Microphones. JBL LSR4328P + LSR4312sp monitor system.

Fletcher

Re: single space lunchbox for AMS Neve 1073LB modules
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2012, 08:23:08 AM »

There are no single space lunchboxes... but, its not difficult to get the appropriate edge connector and wire it up with a ±16vdc power supply... total cost of doing it that way would probably be under $200 and maybe 90 minutes of your time.

Peace
CN Fletcher

mwagener wrote on Sat, 11 September 2004 14:33
We are selling emotions, there are no emotions in a grid

"Recording engineers are an arrogant bunch
If you've spent most of your life with a few thousand dollars worth of musicians in the studio, making a decision every second and a half... and you and  they are going to have to live with it for the rest of your lives, you'll get pretty arrogant too.  It takes a certain amount of balls to do that... something around three"
Malcolm Chisholm

Haolemon

« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2012, 11:02:21 AM »

I've been poking around lately trying to find a single space lunchbox that works with the 1073LB modules. Neve only approves the 500-6b lunchbox but I'd like to find a single rack mountable lunchbox to add a pair of 1073lb's to my inventory. Does anyone know of rack that will work with the 1073lb's?

Thanks in advance,

John

A-Designs 500HR

Fletcher

« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2012, 06:30:53 AM »

Ah -- reading is FUNdamental... I originally read this as single space meaning "single slot".  My bad.

There are a few, as noted the A-Design unit... but there is also one from Empirical Labs which has an EXCELLENT power supply... but even cooler, the modules "flush mount" with the face panel of the unit [rather than sitting above the face panel on the rack mount unit].

Apologies for the previous / irrelevant response.

Peace
CN Fletcher

If you've spent most of your life with a few thousand dollars worth of musicians in the studio, making a decision every second and a half... and you and  they are going to have to live with it for the rest of your lives, you'll get pretty arrogant too.  It takes a certain amount of balls to do that... something around three"
Malcolm Chisholm

John Cameron

« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2012, 08:24:17 PM »

I read somewhere you need to file the card to fit a 1073LB into the Empirical Labs unit. Do you know anything about this?
Studio One Pro, SL16.4.2, 1073lb, API A2D,Avalon VT737SP, Neumann, Shure - Rode - AKG - Sennheiser - Sony Microphones. JBL LSR4328P + LSR4312sp monitor system.

Fletcher

« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2012, 03:52:28 PM »

I hadn't heard anything like that... as its a standard sized edge connector, unless Dave has the placement of the connector off a bit [depth wise] there shouldn't be a problem.  If Neve® made the card too long, that could be a pretty universal problem with most lunchboxes / frames.

Peace
CN Fletcher

Malcolm Chisholm

John Cameron

« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2012, 07:57:27 PM »

After looking at the Empirical Labs unit it does seem the best one available. Thanks for the help guys! ;D

John

Fletcher

« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2012, 11:34:18 AM »

I know the power supply is solid... and that's really the largest thing on these things.

Peace
CN Fletcher

Malcolm Chisholm

Bill Philbrick

« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2012, 12:26:30 PM »

There are no single space lunchboxes...

Alas, it would appear that this too, now exists.

http://www.chameleonlabs.com/product9.htm

coming soon (I suspect): kitchen sinks, in standard VPR 500 series. 

John Cameron

« Reply #9 on: May 25, 2012, 01:33:56 PM »

Sweet! Just what I'm looking for :)

John Cameron

« Reply #10 on: May 25, 2012, 05:01:41 PM »

Sweet! Just what I'm looking for :)

Some say it doesn't have enough current in the PSU for a 1073LB. The Empirical Labs unit seems to be the ticket.

Fletcher

« Reply #11 on: May 28, 2012, 10:23:20 AM »

I know the Empirical Labs frame works great... the power supply is top shelf, if I were going to get a 2 slot powered 1RU frame... that is the one I would get.

Peace
CN Fletcher

Malcolm Chisholm

John Cameron

« Reply #12 on: May 30, 2012, 09:12:07 PM »

I know the Empirical Labs frame works great... the power supply is top shelf, if I were going to get a 2 slot powered 1RU frame... that is the one I would get.

Peace

Advice taken Fletcher. This seems to be the only option. TKS!

Fletcher

« Reply #13 on: June 03, 2012, 12:26:31 AM »

Hope it works out for you... if you have a struggle, please let me know.

Peace
CN Fletcher

Malcolm Chisholm

John Cameron

« Reply #14 on: September 10, 2012, 02:59:17 PM »

I just picked up a used API 500H lunchbox with an API 550b EQ, time to order the 1073LB (-:

Fletcher

« Reply #15 on: September 12, 2012, 09:02:42 AM »

Sounds like a plan... hope it works out for you.

Peace
CN Fletcher

Malcolm Chisholm

John Cameron

« Reply #16 on: October 06, 2012, 10:00:36 PM »

Works beautifully. The 1073lb only fits in space 1 FYI. I absolutely love both the 1073lb and 550b eq modules.

John Cameron

« Reply #17 on: October 06, 2012, 10:03:51 PM »

here it is.

Jim Williams

« Reply #18 on: October 08, 2012, 12:32:34 PM »

I only have one 500 module here, a custom jobby. Rather than spend more than that module cost me to mount it I went cheapo.

Got a 15 pin Elco connector from Mouser for about 4 bucks. Then a Power One + - 15 volt supply for about $45 will do it. Add pigtail XLR's and it all just sits there, not sexy but very functional and affordable.

Rather than spend $45 on that Power One finished power supply I breadboarded one up with 317/337 regulators and a TL783 high voltage reg for phantom. I decided to go very safe and used a 16 volt AC wall wort.

No code vialations, no fire risk, no shock hazzards. Total cost was about fifty bucks. The power supply noise is very low compared to most commercial designs.

Fletcher

« Reply #19 on: October 08, 2012, 01:20:03 PM »

Certainly a good way to go... though few have the skills to build a PSU on a breadboard [but kudos to those that do!!].

Peace
CN Fletcher

Malcolm Chisholm
Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.05 seconds with 23 queries.