R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Sony ECM 670 on snare?  (Read 5399 times)

bgrotto

• Real Full Name: Benny Grotto
Sony ECM 670 on snare?
« on: May 14, 2012, 06:33:56 PM »

I was checking out the trailer for Michael Wagener's upcoming tutorial video (looks great, by the way!), and during the section where he shoots out snare mics, I found the tone of the Sony ECM 670 particularly interesting.

Does anybody have any experience using it as a top snare mic?  How does it handle the SPL?  How does it handle a whack from an over-zealous drummer?  Any issues with bleed or funky off-axis coloration?

Thanks!

Fletcher

Re: Sony ECM 670 on snare?
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2012, 11:47:10 AM »

Quite a bit of experience... its an "electret condenser" that can take sitting near a snare drum without a problem, and if the drum is tuned well, its a marvelous secret weapon.  I'm on the wrong side of 50 now... I haven't worked with a drummer that hit a microphone since I was in my 20's so I can't help you with that part of the question.

Peace
CN Fletcher

mwagener wrote on Sat, 11 September 2004 14:33
We are selling emotions, there are no emotions in a grid

"Recording engineers are an arrogant bunch
If you've spent most of your life with a few thousand dollars worth of musicians in the studio, making a decision every second and a half... and you and  they are going to have to live with it for the rest of your lives, you'll get pretty arrogant too.  It takes a certain amount of balls to do that... something around three"
Malcolm Chisholm

bgrotto

« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2012, 11:55:31 AM »

Happily, it's pretty rare that a drummer hit the snare mic, but it still does happen from time to time. 

Appreciate the reply.  Thanks.

Fletcher

« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2012, 10:57:49 AM »

No matter how reckless the drummer... if you put the mic over the rim, chances diminish greatly that they'll hit one...

Just a thought.

Peace
CN Fletcher

If you've spent most of your life with a few thousand dollars worth of musicians in the studio, making a decision every second and a half... and you and  they are going to have to live with it for the rest of your lives, you'll get pretty arrogant too.  It takes a certain amount of balls to do that... something around three"
Malcolm Chisholm

bgrotto

« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2012, 11:21:13 AM »

That's precisely where I put it.  The occasional whacks come not from a sloppily-placed back beat or snare fill, but by overshooting (or outright missing) the hi hat, or when the drummer is moving to a rack tom or low-hanging crash cymbal.  And sometimes, when a drummer puts his sticks down on the snare after a take.

No mic position is drummer-proof. :'(

Fletcher

« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2012, 08:24:34 AM »

Don't know what to tell you about that other than perhaps the drummer shouldn't drink.  I can't honestly say I've ever heard a drummer outright miss a H/H but I'm sure it happens.

Peace
CN Fletcher

Malcolm Chisholm

Jim Williams

« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2012, 12:06:30 PM »

What about the Sterling ST31? Wagner raves about those too. I have one and might try it on snare.

Fletcher

« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2012, 03:20:08 PM »

Why not... for that matter about the  only use I've found for 414's created after about 1978-79 is snare... if you have one of those you can try it too.

Peace
CN Fletcher

Malcolm Chisholm

Jim Williams

« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2012, 11:26:06 AM »

I love my collection of 414 B-ULS models, but they have been gutted and transformers removed, they are quite good that way, but not for snare drum. There is too much hihat hf back leakage.

That's why I asked about the Sterling, Wagner hasn't replied over at that "other" forum. I want a clear condenser with minimum rear lobe hf pickup, seems that is quite a bit to ask for if you examine the frequency vs polar plots on most mics. Most of them are omni in the tops, a problem for hi hat leakage.

Fletcher

« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2012, 12:22:05 PM »

Have you tried the 414 in figure 8 with the H/H in the null?  Every now and again when I'm concerned about H/H leakage in the snare mic I've been able to get it "reasonable" with that technique.

FWIW, the few Sterling Mics I've heard didn't excite me much... but as we all know, I'm a snot.

Peace
CN Fletcher

Malcolm Chisholm
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.039 seconds with 19 queries.