R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Storing an RCA 44-BX  (Read 5678 times)

Dan Lawrence

Storing an RCA 44-BX
« on: May 14, 2012, 01:22:33 AM »

I recently acquired an RCA 44-BX, and read somewhere that it may be important to store the mic vertically so as not to stress the ribbon. Finding the right case has been tough for vertical storage. Can anyone comment on this?

Also, I'm looking for recommendations on a good mic pre. The magnet, of course, is probably a bit tired. I have a Universal Audio 2-610, but I'm not sure this pre is quiet enough. Looking in the neighborhood of $1-2k. Have heard about the AEA version, and would like to hear others specifically suited to older ribbons.

Thanks in advance,
Dan

Big Broadcast Bear

• R/E/P Forums
Re: Storing an RCA 44-BX
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2012, 03:57:49 AM »

Dan Lawrence

« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2012, 09:26:06 PM »

THANKS Alex.

I had read alot about the AEA's, but didn't see that storage tip. I figured sag under its own was the issue. Common sense and all. But I'll look into that custom case too. Still looking at their pre-amp, and a few boom accessories for it.

I wonder if I didn't cross your site when researching the 44's ... will definately check it out.

So, I have another question for an expert such as yourself. According to the photos of the jumper plate configs which I downloaded for reference, my jumper base plate looks different, by all of one screw connector, and a SOLDERED jumper, which is really strange to me. Now, I'm more prone to want to examine the guts of the mic to be sure its authentic, and not "restored" with any mods, in-authentic parts, or nefarious what-nots. It was claimed to have been restored by a "retired RCA tech" So, two questions:

1)Would you mind to look at the photo and tell me if it looks suspicious or even unorthodox. (sorry for low resolution foto, could do better if really necessary)

2)If I can't resist this urge to pop the screen open and examine the internal markings, should I take special precautions like face-masking or anything else to do ultimate justice to the ribbon?

>>>Uh ... and maybe a 3rd "speculation" ... Would you even hazard to guess why someone might take an adjustable setting like that and fix it permanently? Perhaps flawed screw threads? Or the obvious, although bizarre concept, that they never planned to use it in any other setting? I believe now its soldered to Vocal 1, and would like to try the other two settings.

I'll post an attachment of the jumpers.

Thanks for all your hard work.

Dan

klaus

« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2012, 02:23:51 AM »

...I have checked the AEA R44 manual:

"The ribbon in your microphone is supported at its ends, but is free over its 2+ inch length. If stored horizontally over a very long period of time, the ribbon might sag due to its own weight. ...The custom case provided with your new microphone provides proper support for the microphone when in storage or transit, and keeps it in the recommended vertical orientation."

I sent Wes Dooley an email today:

Hello Wes,

On my forum the question of ribbon mic storage came up, and reference was made to your vertical storage cases as ideal counter measure to earth's gravity and ribbon sag.

Absent of owning one of your deluxe cases, would sideways storage not be equally beneficial- where the mic is positioned horizontally in its case, as is done with every other mic type, but instead being laid down on its back or front, is stored on its side, so that the sides of the ribbon are pointing up and down? 

The analogy of a rectangular beam comes to mind, where the least amount of deformation (and highest load bearing) is achieved through positioning the larger two parallel surfaces vertically (looking at it in cross section.)

Best regards,
Klaus Heyne
Klaus Heyne
German Masterworks®
www.GermanMasterworks.com

Big Broadcast Bear

• R/E/P Forums
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2012, 08:02:42 AM »

Dan Lawrence

« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2012, 12:36:23 AM »

Firstly, Klaus, thanks so much. I'm honored you've put forth the questions to the gurus. I had also considered the same notion, horizontal w/ thin side up storage. Seemed reasonable. The thing is, I'm also inclined to want a hardshell. Just the way my life rolls. I had an old hardshell DJ case in storage, and, though I must place the mic in their lying down, I can always stand the case up. (I'll put a big marker on the UP side). I love Wes' site. Maybe if the "I beam" theory holds out I'll store it lying down in that manner.

Alex - Thanks for the referrals. I usually wait to ask the pro's till I've exhausted my other options. But it is important to verify these details for such a major purchase. Still, it sounds great, and learning the subtleties of the ribbon world, from coloration (or lack thereof, as one would have it), to low output gain, compensation, etc, has been great.

Again, great to get help from a couple of seasoned vets here.

Best ..

Dan @ Mountain Sound

Big Broadcast Bear

• R/E/P Forums
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2012, 06:01:14 AM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.086 seconds with 23 queries.