R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Alesis HD24 XR Replacement drive troubles  (Read 24429 times)

Dan Lawrence

Alesis HD24 XR Replacement drive troubles
« on: April 26, 2012, 04:42:25 PM »

I'm having trouble with some new back-up drives for my Alesis HD24 XR . They were purchased from a reputable audio dealer to spec for the recorder, only 6 times the memory of the original drives (500g vs 80g) Both drives are Western Dig.

The problem, first off, seems to take issue when I mount the drive. The first 70 percent loads up lickity split, just like the old drive. But right at that point, the mounting always gets stuck in the mud, and takes about a minute and a half to fully load - when it WOULD fully load.

Which it did, at first, using the Master/single config as I understand it.( SEE BELOW) Then I formatted the disk with no problems I could see.) But when I tried to copy to it, it got about 90 percent through the copy, then booted out my new drive, sending out insidious improper dismount warnings. It also said I didn't have sufficient space for the material. I tried this twice with the same results. So I decided to see if it would accept a recording signal. No problems I could setting up for a new song, naming it, and putting a few seconds of bass on there.

I do understand the jumper pin issue in theory. The new drive comes with the jumper across 1/2, but the jumper config diagram shows clearly that the proper pin use for a "single/master" application (the only app usable w/ Alesis HD24 XR , says the manual) is NO PIN JUMPER at all. Interestingly enough, the original 80g drive shows the same jumper pin schematic as the new one, but the original has the jumper across pins 9/10 (far left). I boldly tried that config as well, but Using that config wouldn't allow the new drive to mount, and, in fact, after trying that one, the jumperless set wouldn't mount either. No the drive doesn't mount in either setup.

Suggestions?

Much appreciated,

Dan

Fletcher

Re: Alesis HD24 XR Replacement drive troubles
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2012, 09:49:43 PM »

Hmmm -- you're over my head for sure.  Have you contacted Alesis about this?
CN Fletcher

mwagener wrote on Sat, 11 September 2004 14:33
We are selling emotions, there are no emotions in a grid

"Recording engineers are an arrogant bunch
If you've spent most of your life with a few thousand dollars worth of musicians in the studio, making a decision every second and a half... and you and  they are going to have to live with it for the rest of your lives, you'll get pretty arrogant too.  It takes a certain amount of balls to do that... something around three"
Malcolm Chisholm

Dan Lawrence

« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2012, 10:49:57 PM »

Thats my next step, for sure. Just thought I'd overlooked something obvious.

Thanks,

Dan

Jeff Ling

• Real Full Name: Jeffrey Ling
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2012, 02:48:27 PM »

My HD24's have been kind of picky about what drives would work. Some drives worked while others wouldn't. I've had good luck with seagate drives, but have had other drives work as well. Try a different brand or different series of the same brand.

Dan Lawrence

« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2012, 09:42:16 PM »

Thanks Jeff. I've had another reccommendation for Seagates for this app. I also had someone report he had the exact same symptons, and cleared them up using de-oxit on the contacts. In any case, sure appreciate the input.

dd

t_chance

« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2012, 11:40:31 PM »

http://tech.dir.groups.yahoo.com/group/hd24/

I've had great luck with the Maxtor diamond series.
Your new drive probably needs more power than the HD24 was designed for outputing.

Fletcher

« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2012, 08:21:41 AM »

Just curious... was Alesis contacted?
CN Fletcher

If you've spent most of your life with a few thousand dollars worth of musicians in the studio, making a decision every second and a half... and you and  they are going to have to live with it for the rest of your lives, you'll get pretty arrogant too.  It takes a certain amount of balls to do that... something around three"
Malcolm Chisholm

Jim Williams

« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2012, 11:50:22 AM »

Alesis used to have a list of acceptable drives on their web site.

Better yet is to invest in a couple of Magic Sound SATA caddies and install a solid state drive.

Then the only moving part will be the fan.

Fletcher

« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2012, 01:19:04 PM »

Have the prices on solid-state drives become more reasonable these days?  I was Apple was using them in the new MacBooks [or whatever their laptop is called these days]... when I first looked into them they were prohibitively expensive [like to do an album on one would have cost more than tape kind of expensive].
CN Fletcher

Malcolm Chisholm

Jim Williams

« Reply #9 on: June 16, 2012, 11:02:48 AM »

SSD's are now about a buck a gig and going down.

Fletcher

« Reply #10 on: June 18, 2012, 02:34:07 PM »

Wow... that's amazing.  Really is no reason to not go solid state!!!
CN Fletcher

Malcolm Chisholm

kirkhawley

« Reply #11 on: September 15, 2012, 12:33:46 PM »

Maybe you already know this, but I don't see anybody mentioning it so here goes.

HD24's were designed for use with PATA hard drives. PATA drives are pretty hard to find these days, almost all hard drives on the market are SATA. SATA drives don't normally work with HD24's. I'd look around and try to find some old PATA drives.

My HD24 is still filled with PATA drives, but I have to admit I don't use it much any more. There have been some SATA to PATA conversion hardware kits that will convert an HD24 caddy to use SATA drives.

Jim Williams

« Reply #12 on: September 16, 2012, 12:59:39 PM »

Magic Sound sells the custom black caddies. Buy a couple and forget about it.

As for Western Digital PATA drives, I also have one with similar problems the OP stated. It's a 320 gig WD3200AAJB.

Only one jumper setting will work. It will load up to 70% then dismount. If you try and reload, it will go eventually to 100%, but still stalls at 90% for a few seconds. Once loaded, it works fine but I worry about it so I don't trust that drive. My Maxtors all work fine.

Peps

« Reply #13 on: September 20, 2012, 03:38:45 PM »

I believe the Magic Sound SATA-caddies are out of stock. But Alesis now sell SATA-caddies:
http://www.alesis.com/hd24satacaddy
I echo t_chance's suggestion : Go to  http://tech.dir.groups.yahoo.com/group/hd24/  and join the group. In the files section (members only) there's a disk compability list.

Peps

Fletcher

« Reply #14 on: September 22, 2012, 08:43:50 AM »

Good information - but I have to wonder if there is any reason not to go to a solid state storage system at this point... the cost seems to have come down to "reasonable".
CN Fletcher

Malcolm Chisholm
Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.107 seconds with 24 queries.