R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Planning the new room  (Read 2651 times)

Joe_caithness

• Real Full Name: Joseph Caithness
Planning the new room
« on: April 29, 2012, 05:56:47 AM »

OK so my mastering journey has got to here now... 3 years in the pro game as of next week!

Started off in the back room of my mates recording studio finishing off some projects for him -> Ended up having to leave due to crappy landlords and noise -> ended up converting half my little house into my studio -> Now were (me and my other half) looking at buying a nice sized house further out of town.

I love working from home, I can hang out with my cats and drink coffee and listen to music all day.. living the dream!

A couple of houses we've looked at, and a few we've fallen in love with, have large cellars which are in varying stages of being died out. This particular one I have my eye on has a rather nice open space ready to be built up and fitted out which mirrors the large living room above it.

So I'm looking for advice from people who have been here.

In the grand scheme of things its still a smallish room, don't know the measurements yet, but easily bigger than where I am now and doing what I consider to be good work with what I have (loads of  massive bass traps basically!).

I will be looking into designing up specifically with the acoustic properties in mind, with the floor construction, potentially any stud wall I place over the (actually quite nice if cleaned up) brick walls. I am currently sorting out a new round of high freq treatment in my current space which will be transferred over along with my big bass trap boxes.

As things progress, pics, advice etc happens I'll pop em up here.

Thanks in advanced!
http://www.subsequentmastering.com

Online mastering, based in Nottingham, UK

Allen Corneau

• Real Full Name: Allen Corneau
Re: Planning the new room
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2012, 09:15:51 AM »

First off, congrats on hanging in there and living the dream!

As to the house/basement thing: I'd be cautious about the basement studio situation as there is zero room for any expansion capability and ceiling hight (once finished out) is usually too low.

But then take my comment with a bag of salt as I live where basements aren't feasible at all.
Allen
=====
Allen Corneau Mastering
http://allencorneau.com/

Waltz Mastering

• Real Full Name: Tom Waltz
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2012, 10:25:02 AM »

With basements, another consideration is moisture and keeping the humidity under control.  You could probably make any room work with the proper treatment.  Good luck.

Joe_caithness

• Real Full Name: Joseph Caithness
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2012, 11:27:19 AM »

With basements, another consideration is moisture and keeping the humidity under control.  You could probably make any room work with the proper treatment.  Good luck.

My thoughts indeed. Well the idea would be to treat the room as though if the house was sold on it could be a bedroom or study, so the damp/humidity control will be dealt with by a seasoned professional aka not me!

@ Allen, yeah the expansion thing isn't great but my grand plan is to make it easy to move out if needs be and I'm left with a well damp treated, quiet and decorated room for something else if I need to move into a larger space.
http://www.subsequentmastering.com

Online mastering, based in Nottingham, UK

Apostolos Siopis

« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2012, 12:49:52 PM »

potentially any stud wall I place over the (actually quite nice if cleaned up) brick walls

..the (fake in my case) brickwall, always catches the attention of the clients ...a certain feeling of cozyness I guess... if I was in your place I wouldn't cover all of it....

Apostolos

Apostolos Siopis - www.odeon-mastering.com
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.117 seconds with 21 queries.