R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: My new room  (Read 6118 times)

aleatoric

• Real Full Name: Mark Trewella
My new room
« on: April 20, 2012, 01:15:25 PM »

Twerk asked about my new room in Allen Corneau "Website is up" thread.  Instead of driving Allen's thread off topic I figured I'd make a new thread. 

Going off topic...

I just noticed the pic of your new room, Mark. How are you adjusting?

It's amazing.  I've been working in my new spot for about 2 months now.  Obviously a new room brings on a bit of an adjustment period but I love it in here, it already feels like home. 

The room is pretty large.  About 31' length, 14' width and 10' height. 

One huge plus is I can now work around the clock (i.e. 2am if I choose) which is hard to find in a city.  The studio is essentially detached from all adjacent dwelling and the construction is newly renovated with 5/8" sheetrock being used throughout.  The door pictured to the right is a solid core double door setup with a 10" air gap between the two doors that leads into my yard (then there is a gate that leads to the street).

Some other nice amenities are a extremely quiet central air/heat system, a dedicated outlet for my equipment and track lighting, which I just installed a remote control dimmer for.  The studio is located in probably the most musician dense neighbor of Philadelphia; Northern Liberties.  I feel very fortunate to have found this place but at the same time I had been looking for the right spot for well over a year.   

Lots of people have asked me about the floor.  It's wood, plywood to be exact.  When I moved in the floor was an ugly foam green looking color so I painted it grey.  I guess it kinda looks like concrete or something do to that but it's wood with a basement underneath (which is mine). 

The new room has me looking at options for a speaker upgrade.  While I love my Focal's I'm feeling far-field speakers are a better fit for this space.  I have my eyes on the Tyler Acoustics line of speakers (most likely the new MM5 model) and Hypex amps (probably the new Ncore amps if they are in stock when I'm ready to pull the trigger). 

:::EDIT (7/10/12).  I ended up getting a pair of custom built Tyler Acoustics D1 speakers.  I'm driving them with a pair of Hypex UcD400400HG+HxR monoblock amplifiers.  Extremely happy with this monitoring rig!!  The photo attached in this post reflects the speaker/amp upgrade.:::

Attached is a picture of my new room. 

I also just got through updating all of the other photo's on my website so if you're interested swing over there (link in my signature) and check it out.  I'm in the midst of revising some of the written content as well.  Gearing up to do my first email newsletter so I'm trying to get everything as up-to-date as possible on my website before then. 

Twerk

• Real Full Name: Shawn Hatfield
Re: My new room
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2012, 02:34:18 PM »

Congrats on the new space! It's looking good! I love the minimal feel to it.

Can't wait to see some Tyler's hanging out back there next to the Focal's. I assume you'd keep both just to bounce back and forth? Any plans for new gear or are you pretty happy with what you have now?

aleatoric

« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2012, 02:59:47 PM »

Congrats on the new space! It's looking good! I love the minimal feel to it.

Can't wait to see some Tyler's hanging out back there next to the Focal's. I assume you'd keep both just to bounce back and forth? Any plans for new gear or are you pretty happy with what you have now?

I'll probably ditch the Focal's once I get the Tyler's.  I definitely anticipate having both setup in the room for a peirod of time so I can better equate myself with the Tyler's using the Focal's (which I know extremely well) as a sort of reference point.  Who knows though, maybe I will end up keeping both. 

No real plans for new gear outside of the speaker upgrade and some boring things like a new computer.  I'm really happy my minimalistic setup of Mytek DAC->Sontec MEP-250EX->FCS P3S ME->Mytek ADC.  That along with a few choice plugins has me feeling very content with my processing chain. 

Twerk

• Real Full Name: Shawn Hatfield
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2012, 03:08:14 PM »

I also just noticed you moved the plugs away from that left wall. Nice. That was the only thing bugging me about the first pic I saw since I have symmetry OCD as bad as you do.

What did you end up using for trapping? Those look like Gik, but it's hard to tell. Nevermind, just read your gear list.

Have you done any measurements in the new space?

aleatoric

« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2012, 03:26:48 PM »

I also just noticed you moved the plugs away from that left wall. Nice. That was the only thing bugging me about the first pic I saw since I have symmetry OCD as bad as you do.

What did you end up using for trapping? Those look like Gik, but it's hard to tell. Have you done any measurements in the new space?

Yeah, the first photo I had on my website of my new spot was sort of a placeholder/temp shot and was taken when I was only partially setup. 

I had an electrician install a dedicated outlet in the front of the room which is good to have to begin with but also got rid of the power cable that was on the left.  Trust me, it annoyed the crap out of me too and I almost tripped over it more than once.   :o

Acoustical treatment is GIK 244 and 242 traps.  I have GIK 242 traps at first reflection points including a 4x4 ceiling cloud and then GIK 244 traps everywhere else including some custom height ones to fill top corners.  Planning to add some diffusion on the rear sidewalls soon as well (probably GIK QRD). 

I have not measured the room yet.  I'll have to borrow an omni mic from a friend and get on that. 

Thomas W. Bethel

• Real Full Name: Thomas W. Bethel
  • When only the best will do.
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2012, 06:56:56 AM »

Very nice and very professional looking. CONGRATS!
Thomas W. Bethel
Managing Director
Acoustik Musik, Ltd.
http://www.acoustikmusik.com/

Doing what you love is freedom.
Loving what you do is happiness.

Celebrating 29 years in business in 2024

When only the best will do...

bblackwood

« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2012, 01:38:22 AM »

Looks nice, Mark. I assume it's a bit 'live' based on the visual treatments?
Brad Blackwood
euphonic masters

aleatoric

« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2012, 04:10:52 PM »

Very nice and very professional looking. CONGRATS!

Thanks Thomas!

Looks nice, Mark. I assume it's a bit 'live' based on the visual treatments?

Yeah I guess you could say that.  It's certainly not a dead sounding room.  My last room was very dead and for a good reason (it was small).  This room I'm able to keep things a bit lively do to its larger size.  Makes for a much more enjoyable and 'natural' sounding listening environment. 

Joe_caithness

• Real Full Name: Joseph Caithness
« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2012, 05:29:43 AM »

Already said this in private, but really happy for you and your new space!

All giving me inspiration for the studio it looks like I meant end up building pretty much from scratch this year.. scary/exciting!
http://www.subsequentmastering.com

Online mastering, based in Nottingham, UK

Michael Hynes

« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2012, 08:52:12 AM »

Those new Tylers are gonna look great in there buddy.....

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.082 seconds with 18 queries.