R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: New Room Build  (Read 7410 times)

Matt_G

• Real Full Name: Matthew Gray
New Room Build
« on: April 09, 2012, 09:37:23 PM »

I'm finally going to build a new room! A new dedicated building has been purchased and the design is currently in progress. I've commissioned Thomas Jouanjean of Northward Acoustics to do the design. For those that are interested I've started a construction thread over here..

Twerk

• Real Full Name: Shawn Hatfield
Re: New Room Build
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2012, 11:16:37 PM »

Congrats! Looking forward to updates.

KAyo

• R/E/P Forums
  • Real Full Name: KAyo
  • Business Videos 24/7
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2012, 03:17:41 AM »

Now, this is going to be interesting, Matt.
Good luck mate!

Regards,
KAyo
www.kantabiz.com
Business Video Directory

Thomas W. Bethel

• Real Full Name: Thomas W. Bethel
  • When only the best will do.
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2012, 08:52:19 AM »

WOW!!!! Great News
Thomas W. Bethel
Managing Director
Acoustik Musik, Ltd.
http://www.acoustikmusik.com/

Doing what you love is freedom.
Loving what you do is happiness.

Celebrating 29 years in business in 2024

When only the best will do...

ggidluck

« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2012, 10:47:28 PM »

Yeah great news. Congratulations already, Matt!

I thoroughly enjoyed watching Darius' build happen. No doubt this will be just as interesting! I love this stuff!

Matt_G

« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2012, 09:17:52 AM »

Thanks for the positive energy guys. A lot of work ahead but I'm confident it will be a great room especially with Thomas on board.

Matt_G

« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2012, 09:40:19 AM »

Things are starting to move up a notch now as we are entering the warehouse in the morning to do some demolition work on the existing fit-out. I'll post some photos over the next few days as we bring the inside of the warehouse back to it's original bare concrete shell.

Homatherm CL Flex 100 batts ordered... This product is not available in Australia so after some deliberation and looking into local alternatives we decided to order 9 pallets of Homatherm direct from Europe as this seemed like the best way to guarantee a predictable result. There will also be a substantial amount of Rockwool Fibretex 350 going in as well which was sourced locally from Bradfords.

Diffusor Wood ordered... Thomas likes to use 'Ayous' for these but this was actually called 'Obeche' in Australia and was extremely hard to find. Another similar alternative is 'Jelutong'. I managed to track down some 'Obeche' in Melbourne & this is currently being laser cut & drum sanded (all 874 blocks!) this week in preparation for the diffusors.

Regufoam ordered... Another European product used to float the concrete slab, Thomas has carefully calculated the estimated weight of the studio and the required design of the floating floor. This is also on order and will be with us in around 4 weeks. Once we have this we can begin the slab work.

In the meantime still working through some of the finer structural points with the ceiling joists & mezzanine floor joists but it's very close now. Still much to do before the regufoam arrives such as sorting out the re-location of the toilet plumbing, more quotes and finalising A/C layout, and mezzanine floor final layouts for Studio B etc. and working flat out with servicing mastering clients as well. Over the last couple of weeks over 100 tracks mastered.. crazy times!

More soon... must sleep early start in the morning.

Matt_G

« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2012, 11:19:45 AM »

Today was epic, 7am start, ripped into the existing fit-out & found it was a treasure trove for recycling.

We have managed to recycle 2 x solid core doors with fittings, 2 large & expensive 10.5mm thick shatter resistant glass windows (probably sell these), a stack of pink batt insulation (only partly pictured) which can be used for studio B, a couple of split system air-co units (one will service the machine room, the other will service Studio B) but the biggest treasure was finding a 4.2m spanned ceiling with 200x80x3mm C section joists & a 5.78m 200x80x13 steal bearer which we hope can be all raised up & re-bolted to the required mezzanine height. This should help save some decent dollars for the studio B build.

These pics were taken half way through the day...

Thomas W. Bethel

« Reply #8 on: July 04, 2012, 05:59:21 PM »

I remember well the day in July of 1995 that my carpenter and I started the demolition of the existing space and we started building my new mastering room.

Right now it is 96 degrees in Northern Ohio, the AC power just went out and I would not want to start on an ambitious project like you are undertaking. My hat is off to you.

BTW isn't this is the middle of winter in Australia?

Congrats and best of luck!
 8)
Thomas W. Bethel
Managing Director
Acoustik Musik, Ltd.

Matt_G

« Reply #9 on: July 04, 2012, 07:15:52 PM »

Hi Thomas, Yes it is winter here in sunny Brisbane but winter here means 48ºF at night & 68ºF during the day (similar to Florida weather I guess). So it is very comfortable to be working during the day. If it was undertaken in summer it would be more like 97ºF during the day with very high humidity so it is far more draining & tiresome.

I've got some excellent builders around me & trade accounts with all major building supppliers & one of the best acoustic designers in the world working on this new room with me so I feel confident that it's going to be a well thought out & well executed build. It's still going to cost a lot of money but this is a long term once in a lifetime investment for me. I would not be building a new room if I didn't own the building. Leasing a space & spending heaps on a fit-out is risky & not good use of money for obvious reasons. I'm hoping this room will continue to function as a high end mastering room for many years to come long after I retire.

Thanks for the kind words.   

Jerry Tubb

• Real Full Name: Jerry Tubb
« Reply #10 on: July 04, 2012, 11:37:40 PM »

Ah the joys of demolition!

Nothing like the feeling of a sledgehammer in the morning!

Best, JT
Terra Nova Mastering
Celebrating 25 years of Mastering!

Little Major Mastering

• Real Full Name: Philip Opdebeeck
« Reply #11 on: July 05, 2012, 08:17:40 AM »

Great Matthew, wishing you all the best! :)

Cheers
Philip
Audio Mastering Engineer
http://www.littlemajormastering.info

GlensAudio

• Real Full Name: Glen
« Reply #12 on: August 22, 2012, 08:19:55 PM »

Hi Matthew,

I can see a beauiiful and very functional mastering studio in those pics of rubble!!   And with a nice high ceiling too.

Regards, Glen

Matt_G

« Reply #13 on: August 29, 2012, 09:27:46 PM »

Things are finally starting to move up a gear...

The Regufoam & Homatherm should arrive in the next 10 days and then the floating floor can be poured. In the meantime we have finished all the diffusers (see photos below).. The concrete floor entrance to the warehouse and toilet floor is getting polished tomorrow. Next week the mezzanine floor for studio B, client lounge, kitchenette, storage/machine room will be up in position at 3888mm high. More photos to follow in the coming weeks.

A look at the current space...

Thomas W. Bethel

« Reply #14 on: August 30, 2012, 08:35:50 AM »

Looking good. I bet you are getting excited. Take care and be safe
Thomas W. Bethel
Managing Director
Acoustik Musik, Ltd.

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.106 seconds with 22 queries.