R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Clocking problem: Lavry Blue and Maudio 2496  (Read 5110 times)

tusharprakash

• Real Full Name: Tushar Prakash
Clocking problem: Lavry Blue and Maudio 2496
« on: March 14, 2012, 08:12:18 AM »

Hi Guys...

Am in desperate need of help.

I have a Lavry Blue, and conducted my research on the most efficient way to clock my Lavry with my PC. Maudio 2496 emerged as an option. Since it seems to be value for money and a no quality compromise technique.

But, not being able to clock the two of them. I made AES/EBU to spdif cables, but still the two of them are not clocking. I read somewhere, that i have to manually clock them. Does this mean i have to open the chasis and do some work on the circuitry? If so, then please give me a step by step process, since i am a non techie guy...

Need help guys.... no recording happening in my studio as of now.

Regards
Tushar

Fletcher

Re: Clocking problem: Lavry Blue and Maudio 2496
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2012, 01:25:49 PM »

I'm not sure if I understand what you're asking... but -- the Lavry "Blue" system has a very excellent internal clock, so absolutely no external clocking is required [at all].  If you connect the output of the Lavry to the input of your interface / soundcard on your computer via AES/EBU you should be in fine shape without having to attach any external clock [in fact, in this specific case, you will be MUCH better off using the Lavry's internal clock as the "master clock" for the system rather than the clock in an M-Audio anything!!]
CN Fletcher

mwagener wrote on Sat, 11 September 2004 14:33
We are selling emotions, there are no emotions in a grid

"Recording engineers are an arrogant bunch
If you've spent most of your life with a few thousand dollars worth of musicians in the studio, making a decision every second and a half... and you and  they are going to have to live with it for the rest of your lives, you'll get pretty arrogant too.  It takes a certain amount of balls to do that... something around three"
Malcolm Chisholm

tusharprakash

« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2012, 06:25:46 AM »

I have connected my Lavry Blue to the Maudio via AES/EBU... but no synch.

Maybe its the cable? i have made an AES/EBU to SPDIF...

tusharprakash

« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2012, 06:41:41 AM »

Here i found a circuit diagram...

which me and my friend think should solve the issue...

Let me know what u think

http://cbcmusicblog.files.wordpress.com/2010/11/aes_to_spdif_adapter1.jpg

Fletcher

« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2012, 11:09:21 AM »

Wordclock runs on a BNC to BNC cable, and its not about data transfer.  AES/EBU and SPDIF are about data transfer [and carry clock information as well, but the main event is data transfer].  AES/EBU and SPDIF will carry the same information, but have different impedance's associated with their respective connections.  While you can connect AES/EBU directly to a SPDIF connection - you have to keep the cable really short, like a meter is about it [from what I understand, it could be more, but a meter is safe].

Neutrik makes an impedance matching transformer which will permit longer runs when going from AES/EBU to SPDIF... they're relatively inexpensive... like $45 USD if I remember correctly.  You put the transformer on the end of the cable that is going to the SPDIF connection.

Peace
CN Fletcher

If you've spent most of your life with a few thousand dollars worth of musicians in the studio, making a decision every second and a half... and you and  they are going to have to live with it for the rest of your lives, you'll get pretty arrogant too.  It takes a certain amount of balls to do that... something around three"
Malcolm Chisholm

Randyman...

« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2012, 08:07:37 PM »

Is this a Lavry Blue AD, DA, or AD/DA?

In any event, the obvious must be asked (it wasn't stated):  Are you setting your M-Audio 2496 to "Slave" to the SPDIF Input (in the M-Audio control panel)?

Beyond that, Fletcher's comments about AES vs SPDIF and their differing levels and impedances should also be investigated (I know RME will generally handle AES/EBU levels on ther SPDIF Coax inputs, but I don't know about M-Audio).

8)
Randy Visentine
Semi-Pro Engineer

Fletcher

« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2012, 08:25:17 AM »

Is this a Lavry Blue AD, DA, or AD/DA?

Depends on what modules you have loaded into a blue frame... you have 4 "slots" you can load an A/D or D/A into any of them.

Peace
CN Fletcher

Malcolm Chisholm

Randyman...

« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2012, 01:24:34 PM »

Depends on what modules you have loaded into a blue frame... you have 4 "slots" you can load an A/D or D/A into any of them.

Peace

Yes, I'm aware, and that's part of my point - Is the OP trying to do a full digital I/O loop and sync the AD and DA sections with the M-Audio, or just trying to sync the M-Audio to the A/D's AES Signal (AES via SPDIF)?  This was not mentioned.

In any event, I would still recommend using the Lavry as the master - and confirm the M-Audio is set to slave to SPDIF in its control panel (also not mentioned).  It would be possible to run the M-Audio as "Master" if doing an I/O loop to an AD/DA - but I would advise against that...

Rock on  8)
Randy Visentine
Semi-Pro Engineer

Fletcher

« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2012, 03:11:25 PM »

My bad - I misread the original question.  Thought it was asking if the Lavry [in general] was an AD, DA, or AD/DA... missed that you were asking about the specific unit.

Note to self, do not get on the internet before at least the second cup of coffee of the day.

100% agreement that using the Lavry as the "master" would be the best way to go... Lavry's have great clocks, and implementation of that clock on the M-Audio unit will go a long way to improve the sonic results of the M-Audio unit.

Peace
CN Fletcher

Malcolm Chisholm

Mo Facta

« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2012, 04:42:45 AM »

Yes, making sure to set your M-Audio device to "slave" is key if you make the Lavry your master clock source.

Cheers :)
Quote from: Slipperman
That'll learn those arrogant LA *bleeps*.

http://shiftedaudio.co.za
http://gregbester.xp3.biz
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.052 seconds with 22 queries.