R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: blackburst and word clock  (Read 3349 times)

fjos

blackburst and word clock
« on: March 07, 2012, 10:22:09 AM »

I've heard it said that you can get less jitter and improve your sound by having a blackburst signal feed your word clock generator.

I'm curious as to opinions on this matter.

Fletcher

Re: blackburst and word clock
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2012, 11:21:32 AM »

Where did you hear this?  The two, to the best of my knowledge, are mutually exclusive.

Peace
CN Fletcher

mwagener wrote on Sat, 11 September 2004 14:33
We are selling emotions, there are no emotions in a grid

"Recording engineers are an arrogant bunch
If you've spent most of your life with a few thousand dollars worth of musicians in the studio, making a decision every second and a half... and you and  they are going to have to live with it for the rest of your lives, you'll get pretty arrogant too.  It takes a certain amount of balls to do that... something around three"
Malcolm Chisholm

Gregory Thompson

« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2012, 07:06:52 PM »

I'm not exactly sure why this is the case but a few years back in a studio that was built around an SSL Axiom (egad) that the techs from SSL recommended that we clock all our gear off house black (video) instead of word clock (we had both distributed around the room). 

Maybe they believed it was more a more stable clock (maybe because the video carrier signal is up in the megahertz region instead of the kilohertz region)?

Dunno.
-Engineering for a living since 1994
-Currently freelancing for ABC Television (and that can change at a moment's notice)

Fletcher

« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2012, 12:26:10 PM »

That would make sense to run off blackburst in a video house situation - but I don't think it will reduce "jitter" per se [and I'm way far from an expert on this - but Bruno in the tech forum very much is!!] -- I could see the "blackburst" thing adding stability in a video sync environment... again, I'm way far from being an expert in that area, and could very easily be quite wrong.

Peace
CN Fletcher

If you've spent most of your life with a few thousand dollars worth of musicians in the studio, making a decision every second and a half... and you and  they are going to have to live with it for the rest of your lives, you'll get pretty arrogant too.  It takes a certain amount of balls to do that... something around three"
Malcolm Chisholm

Randyman...

« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2012, 07:55:26 PM »

If you plan on integrating Digital Audio into an Embedded SDI type video system, then clocking the Audio Gear off house black does make perfect sense to keep everything lined up.  I can't see any other reason for doing so as your gear would still need to have some form of "Blackburst -to- Wordclock" converter to feed the standard Wordclock Inputs (likely adding yet another PLL to the mix).
Randy Visentine
Semi-Pro Engineer

Gregory Thompson

« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2012, 10:23:47 PM »

In the case where we were working with the Axiom.. it was just the usual digital tape decks.  Sony 3348, Protools, DA-98.  It was over 10 years ago and it was more important to just get master clock routed everywhere so everything was working in agreement.  We'd always run into random pieces of gear that refused to be a wordclock slave that would throw a wrench in the works.
-Currently freelancing for ABC Television (and that can change at a moment's notice)

Fletcher

« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2012, 11:14:55 AM »

Gregory - what facility was that?  Just curious.
CN Fletcher

Malcolm Chisholm

Gregory Thompson

« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2012, 06:56:19 PM »

Kampo in NYC.  Closed about 2 years ago.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.084 seconds with 21 queries.