R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Getting that Guitar on tape sound  (Read 5334 times)

standup

Re: Getting that Guitar on tape sound
« Reply #15 on: September 24, 2004, 08:27:59 PM »

Other folks are suggesting 8 track reel to reel--I suggest 4 track. Half inch, 15 inches per second. That will get you some good tape sound.

If you want lo-fi, get a cheap cassette deck, not a 4-track cassette.

Go to ebay, look at Tascam, Sony, MCI, Scully, TEAC see what's around. Should be cheap. Get a 3-head machine NOT 2 heads, and learn how to align it. 2-head machines are much harder to align.

And don't just record guitars with it--think about drums too.

I'm a cheapskate dude recording friends in my house. I did 4 track cassette in the 80s, reel to reel in the 90s,  and I'm using a computer in the 00s. I decided that cheap digital sounds better than cheap analog, and I wasan't doing the maintenance well enough (aligning a 1/2" 16 track 2 head machine is a pain in the ass) to keep it.  Besides, I can fix computer problems more easily than mechanical/electronic problems.

But if you have the commitment to go for the 1/2 inch 3-head four track thing, it will sound good--not like cheap analog.

John Ivan

Re: Getting that Guitar on tape sound
« Reply #16 on: October 02, 2004, 02:36:41 PM »

Hi all:

I'm back from a road trip. I couldn't get to a computer.

Yeah, I have an Ampex 440-B 1/2" 4- Track that I LOVE. This machine is in fine shape and I have a spare deck that I want to convert to 1/2" 2-Track. These machines are a good deal and you can still find them around.
"Transformation is no easy trick: It's what art promises and usually doesn't deliver." Garrison Keillor

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.105 seconds with 17 queries.