R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: DIY Subkick?  (Read 3804 times)

Sam Carlen

• Real Full Name: Sam Carlen
DIY Subkick?
« on: February 19, 2012, 09:15:00 PM »

Hi everyone. I'm new on this and just wondering as how to do this. I have a XLR Cable with the Female end off (just happened to be like that cause it fell off) two different 6.5" speakers, one from a guitar amp and one from a home theater system that my dad used to have. The one in the home theater system has a much larger magnet but I'm not sure if that should help. And so I would need (or prefer to have) a drum shell of some kind and something to mount it. Here are my actual questions:
1. Which speaker should be better to use? Or just go with larger cone size?
2. How to mount it in a drum shell?
3. And how would I mount the drum shell onto some kind of stand?

John Roberts {JR}

• Real Full Name: John Roberts
  • 10,000+
Re: DIY Subkick?
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2012, 10:00:22 AM »

I've seen threads about doing this before on other forums.

I would start by wiring up your mic cable to each speaker (across XLR pins 2 and 3), one at a time. Then listen to the result when plugged into a preamp. See which one picks up bass frequencies better. 

The housing for the speaker seems to me like a cosmetic affectation, I would expect a stronger pickup with the speaker free standing or open back. Making it look like a little drum, probably has little affect on the sound. 

Don't touch the drum head, just place it like a normal microphone pointed at the drumhead.

If it sounds good it is good... if not,,, whatever.

JR
Circular Science     http://RESOTUNE.COM

"tune it or don't play it..."

Fletcher

« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2012, 01:09:28 PM »

Pretty much what John said... my experience with using speakers in this manner is that its often a bitch to get the mounting right.  Best mounting system I've seen was actually built from a kids' "Erector Set" [do they still make those?] as it was lightweight - sturdy - and was able to move the speaker about 2-3 inches forward of the vertical supports.

Peace
CN Fletcher

mwagener wrote on Sat, 11 September 2004 14:33
We are selling emotions, there are no emotions in a grid

"Recording engineers are an arrogant bunch
If you've spent most of your life with a few thousand dollars worth of musicians in the studio, making a decision every second and a half... and you and  they are going to have to live with it for the rest of your lives, you'll get pretty arrogant too.  It takes a certain amount of balls to do that... something around three"
Malcolm Chisholm

Sam Carlen

« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2012, 03:54:39 PM »

I've seen threads about doing this before on other forums.

I would start by wiring up your mic cable to each speaker (across XLR pins 2 and 3), one at a time. Then listen to the result when plugged into a preamp. See which one picks up bass frequencies better. 

The housing for the speaker seems to me like a cosmetic affectation, I would expect a stronger pickup with the speaker free standing or open back. Making it look like a little drum, probably has little affect on the sound. 

Don't touch the drum head, just place it like a normal microphone pointed at the drumhead.

If it sounds good it is good... if not,,, whatever.

JR
Thank you John. Well I got the home theater speaker wired up and it definitely picks up a lot more bass. I could tell by just tapping on the cone. VERY high output by the way. My friend whose a drummer has an old 10 inch tom shell he doesn't use and said he'll give me it too! So only to figure out how to put it in it. ;D 
 P.S. This would be kind of cosmetic, I want to try and use it live sometime as well as studio. And don't want it to fall and break or anything. That wouldn't be too good.

Sam Carlen

« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2012, 03:58:30 PM »

Pretty much what John said... my experience with using speakers in this manner is that its often a bitch to get the mounting right.  Best mounting system I've seen was actually built from a kids' "Erector Set" [do they still make those?] as it was lightweight - sturdy - and was able to move the speaker about 2-3 inches forward of the vertical supports.

Peace

Thanks Fletcher. That is the only thing though, mounting... But wow, I might just have to try that! I've seen on the Yamaha Subkick they used what looked like the very bottom of a snare stand and converted in to fit inside the mount for a tom. But I'll try my best with anything and hopefully it'll work out.

Sam

Fletcher

« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2012, 04:39:29 PM »

Please let me know how it works... I'm 1/2 thinking of building something for the joint where I'm working these days and am looking for any / all easily done suggestions!!

Peace
CN Fletcher

If you've spent most of your life with a few thousand dollars worth of musicians in the studio, making a decision every second and a half... and you and  they are going to have to live with it for the rest of your lives, you'll get pretty arrogant too.  It takes a certain amount of balls to do that... something around three"
Malcolm Chisholm

Sam Carlen

« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2012, 02:08:44 PM »

Please let me know how it works... I'm 1/2 thinking of building something for the joint where I'm working these days and am looking for any / all easily done suggestions!!

Peace
Well I tested it out today with a small kit I own in conjuction with a Beta 52, and I have to tell you, it gives such a sick sound to the bass drum! (And entire kit when added) Without any EQ it already punches you in the chest and cuts through the mix a lot better than without I've tried. Just try to notch out 200-400hz, at least for mine it seems it gives a big of "plastic or boxy" sounding tone. Other than that I love it! And I don't even have it mounted yet, just had it rest on an old shoe box and another behind it to keep it upright. Wish I could've compared my subkick to the Yamaha one and see how "well" I did though!  ;D
Sam.

Fletcher

« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2012, 04:57:58 PM »

Glad to hear its working out for you... I think you will find really positive results once you can mount it properly!!

Peace
CN Fletcher

Malcolm Chisholm
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.05 seconds with 23 queries.