R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Acoustic Treament for Bedroom Studio?  (Read 5084 times)

Sam Carlen

• Real Full Name: Sam Carlen
Acoustic Treament for Bedroom Studio?
« on: February 21, 2012, 11:58:01 PM »

Hi everyone,
 You'll most likely be able to help me a lot more than anyone I've talked to. I have a small bedroom studio, I record in a basement and bring those tracks upstairs to the "mixing center" if you wish.
  But it's a medium sized bedroom with carpet flooring, furniture, lots of instruments and sound gear. About 21' x 14' I believe and I a closet that convexs into this room from another in the one corner.
  But how should I go about treating this room a little more and placing speakers and such? I already know to put the monitors on stands or isolators and maybe some bass traps because there are many corners. But I'm also forced to mix directly facing a wall so there must be lots of bass build up.

Here's my best diagram of the room on Paint for Windows.  :)

kimgul

• Real Full Name: kim Gulbrandsen
Re: Acoustic Treament for Bedroom Studio?
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2012, 12:02:14 AM »

Any posibility to move the mixingmonitors to the right side (short wall), firing the sound down the longer side? Shurely need basstraps in as many corners you can and broadbands covering the reflectionpoints!

Sam Carlen

• Real Full Name: Sam Carlen
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2012, 03:17:28 PM »

Any posibility to move the mixingmonitors to the right side (short wall), firing the sound down the longer side? Shurely need basstraps in as many corners you can and broadbands covering the reflectionpoints!
Yes I think that can be arranged. Thank you. And is there any specific amount of area I should have covered on the walls? Like in a %?
Sam

kimgul

• Real Full Name: kim Gulbrandsen
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2012, 06:56:20 PM »

Having the monitors playing from the shortwall will make a better stereopicture and you loose some of the combfiltering you would have using the walls you use now. What`s most important for you....best sound in the room for playing live music/instuments or best sound in the mixingarea? In the mixarea you should make basstraps in the corners and cover the reflectionpoints with broadbandpanels (left,right and celing).

Lots of info on this if you google it. (even brandon had a long writing about how important it is to cover the reflectionpoints)

Good luck!

saint

• Producer/Engineer/Mixer
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2012, 03:57:32 PM »

Get on the short wall side. Do NOT butt up against the wall... I suggest no LESS than 4 feet away from the wall. If you put your desk & speakers up against the wall you insure that you will NEVER, EVER get the bass correct. Use a bass trap between the desk & the wall & you may need something in the corners as well.
Blue Skies!  Saint
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.133 seconds with 25 queries.