R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Capsule Wires. What is the best material?  (Read 2866 times)

Telefunk

Capsule Wires. What is the best material?
« on: February 12, 2012, 04:02:41 PM »

So, pretty straight forward question. What's the best wire to be used in connecting the capsule?

Kai

Re: Capsule Wires. What is the best material?
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2012, 10:52:41 AM »

What's the best wire to be used in connecting the capsule?
Teflon (=PTFE)  isolated stranded wire.

Regards
Kai

Telefunk

« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2012, 03:01:50 PM »

Teflon (=PTFE)  isolated stranded wire.

Regards
Kai

Thanks for the fast answer!

klaus

« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2012, 08:06:13 PM »

There is no consensus as to what constitutes "the best" wire, because different wires will have different jacket materials, different stranding, different strand counts and strand diameters, etc.

If you look at historic (and now very expensive) condenser mics, they pretty much used whatever was around, with little or no consideration as to what that wire will do to isolation resistance or capsule sound.
Klaus Heyne
German Masterworks®
www.GermanMasterworks.com

Kai

« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2012, 12:24:04 PM »

...with little or no consideration as to what that wire will do to isolation resistance or capsule sound.
The wire becomes part of the diaphragm, mechanically and electrically, so I would consider it critical.

Therefore I looked for one not too soft (to reduce movement which causes LF microphony), but not ringing, something that straight wire does.
In most constructions the cable contacts the housing somewhere, as we have 60, 120 or up to 200V bias on it, so high isolation is needed.
I have measured the isolation of several cables and found some to be sub-optimal (most work fine).

BTW: tube sockets and the tube itself may also have insufficient isolation, especially if dirty. Printed circuit boards need special isolation posts with direct wiring, soldering direct to the print does not work at all.

The thinner the cable is, the lower is the stray capacitance and other adverse effects.

Finally I used the inner wires of a Belden top quality, very thin balanced cable with good result.
My first tests with "just what is at hand" showed some of the problems mentioned above.

Regards
Kai
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.029 seconds with 21 queries.