R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Are Readers Abandoning Pitchfork And Gearslutz?  (Read 14326 times)

Plush

• Real Full Name: Hudson Fair
Re: Are Readers Abandoning Pitchfork And Gearslutz?
« Reply #15 on: January 29, 2012, 07:36:14 PM »

I feel that the data presented by Mr. fossiltooth does really reflect what is happening at GS. I was particularly struck by the assertion that the demographic at GS is now centered on 18-24 year old males. My own analysis, based on their grammar usage, piss poor etiquette, flaring rage attacks and also the shoe-gazer "bored" response, is that that age group is now dominant on GS.

I made up the term, "Gearslutz fact."  This is a mistaken notion, a lie or complete misinformation that has been regurgitated over and over on GS and is now taken as an actual fact or as juried good advice. It's a real joke.

Whenever I get a warning from Jules, I remind him that I get hundreds of PM messages and I respond to these and try help those who write to me asking for advice or opinion. I remind him that I am helping people off of the forum as well as posting on GS. 

One of the new complaints from Jules is "newbie pressure." This occurs when an experienced engineer calls out a newbie for posting trash, inaccurate trash, junk opinion, made up opinion, high horse behavior etc. If you call someone out for being ignorant, you have set yourself up for a possible infraction.

With the article and statistics cited by Mr. fossiltooth, we can certainly see WHY Jules might be sensitive to chasing newbie posters / members out the door.

best from Chicago,

Plush 

Fletcher

« Reply #16 on: January 30, 2012, 08:39:31 AM »

Dooood --- its about "number of views" not "quality of content"... this is about "quality of content" and its half a ghost town.

As HL Menken once said, "no one ever went broke underestimating the intelligence of the American public"... Jules, an American who relocated to the UK has taken Menken's principle global.  Interestingly, I wonder what would happen if those with 1/2 a clue stopped posting there?  Oh... yeah... it would turn into the Harmony Central forums... that's what would happen.

Shoot me
CN Fletcher

mwagener wrote on Sat, 11 September 2004 14:33
We are selling emotions, there are no emotions in a grid

"Recording engineers are an arrogant bunch
If you've spent most of your life with a few thousand dollars worth of musicians in the studio, making a decision every second and a half... and you and  they are going to have to live with it for the rest of your lives, you'll get pretty arrogant too.  It takes a certain amount of balls to do that... something around three"
Malcolm Chisholm

rocksure

• Real Full Name: Tony Koretz
« Reply #17 on: January 31, 2012, 05:20:48 PM »

Whenever I get a warning from Jules, I remind him that I get hundreds of PM messages and I respond to these and try help those who write to me asking for advice or opinion. I remind him that I am helping people off of the forum as well as posting on GS. 

One of the new complaints from Jules is "newbie pressure." This occurs when an experienced engineer calls out a newbie for posting trash, inaccurate trash, junk opinion, made up opinion, high horse behavior etc. If you call someone out for being ignorant, you have set yourself up for a possible infraction.

With the article and statistics cited by Mr. fossiltooth, we can certainly see WHY Jules might be sensitive to chasing newbie posters / members out the door.

best from Chicago,

Plush

I think it is important that experienced engineers do point out to new posters when what they say is trash, and to show up mis-information for what it is on GS. I guess though that it's how it's done that is important. If someone goes in all guns blazing and trashes everyone else's opinions in an arrogant way, that isn't really helping anyone. But if facts are pointed out in a diplomatic but self assured way, it is more likely to be listened to. For example, I really like the way Geoff Tanner has gone about correcting the mis-information on Neve gear that often has come up over the years. He sets people straight, but never in a condescending way.
Royalty-free Music and Sound Effects
http://rocksuresoundz.com

John Roberts {JR}

• Real Full Name: John Roberts
  • 10,000+
« Reply #18 on: February 01, 2012, 10:32:26 AM »

I used to write a column called "Audio Mythology" back in the '80s and it seems a lot of the same myths are still with us (plus a few new ones associated with more recent technology).

There is a fraction of the public that rejects objective scientific method, and pursues audio as some mystical unexplored world that the experts either don't really understand, or are lying about. At the same time merchandisers profit from promoting vague misinformation, because that's how they differentiate their otherwise similar products from all the others, as worthy of purchase. 

Finally it seems that the web upgrade (?) here could have been handled a little better. Correctly or not, members of any community feel like they deserve a say (whether they do or not).  The recent server warnings about exceeding page frequency for the banner ads are a reminder of the current state of things. Many people get their human contact from social media these days so have drifted away from forums that are less rewarding to participate on. 

or not...

JR
Circular Science     http://RESOTUNE.COM

"tune it or don't play it..."

Fletcher

« Reply #19 on: February 01, 2012, 03:29:22 PM »

it seems that the web upgrade (?) here could have been handled a little better. Correctly or not, members of any community feel like they deserve a say (whether they do or not). 

I would have settled for the moderators / administrators getting some warning  :o ... but it is what it is and some of us are still here.
CN Fletcher

If you've spent most of your life with a few thousand dollars worth of musicians in the studio, making a decision every second and a half... and you and  they are going to have to live with it for the rest of your lives, you'll get pretty arrogant too.  It takes a certain amount of balls to do that... something around three"
Malcolm Chisholm

mfassett

• Real Full Name: Mark Fassett
« Reply #20 on: February 08, 2012, 02:18:49 PM »

I think what makes Gearslutz difficult are a few things:

- Newbies who are disrespectful
- The established personalities who are overbearing "know-it-all" types
- The strange and somewhat arbitrary rules
- The "conventional knowledge" that flows that is just accepted and becomes like an internet meme.   

I am not surprised that Gearslutz is losing (or should I write "loosing" like everyone at gearslutz?) viewers.  That is not just because I'm banned there either.   :o

Fletcher

« Reply #21 on: February 09, 2012, 11:18:42 AM »

Hey - whatever... the cool thing about this set of boards is that while "newbies" are totally welcome - they can't be anonymous so the chucklehead and pimp factor goes down quite a bit. 

It is what it is...
CN Fletcher

Malcolm Chisholm
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.082 seconds with 19 queries.