R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Where can I find value of Ampex 4 channel 300/351 recorder ?  (Read 2524 times)

dawsontm

Where can I find value of Ampex 4 channel 300/351 recorder ?
« on: February 01, 2012, 02:43:35 PM »

Hi -

Not sure where to start here - I traded for it in working condition bone stock & complete w/sel sync and remote in a custom roll around cabinet quite a while ago with the idea of  making a small studio around it and never took the idea any further - I was wondering where I could find what such a recorder would be worth nowadays.  It is set up for 7.5/15 ips.  Heads appear original & have some moderate wear.

When I traded for it, I was told that this was the model recorder the Beatles did some of their original classic albums on.

Any help would be appreciated.
serious audio geek and all around electronics designer

Fletcher

Re: Where can I find value of Ampex 4 channel 300/351 recorder ?
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2012, 03:34:23 PM »

I doubt the Beatles worked on that model machine [the 4 track machines at Abbey Rd. at the time were Studers]... but somebody somewhere probably did some amazing albums on one.  The 350 transport is really [REALLY] good - very stable... the 351 electronics were OK [the tube electronics better than the solid state... the Innovonics electronics for the same machine were a good step forward on those].

If I were going to buy a machine like that I would insist on a current JRF Magnetic Sciences "head report" -- wouldn't touch one without it... so I'd recommend giving JRF a call and arrange to have the heads sent out.

After that -- I'd probably start trying to sell the machine [if the heads are in great shape] for a couple grand [like I'd probably start around $2k - maybe $2500] and see where that gets you.

If anyone has the notion to try to do analog work like that... its certainly an excellent place to start to learn the craft.

Best of luck with it!!

Peace
CN Fletcher

mwagener wrote on Sat, 11 September 2004 14:33
We are selling emotions, there are no emotions in a grid

"Recording engineers are an arrogant bunch
If you've spent most of your life with a few thousand dollars worth of musicians in the studio, making a decision every second and a half... and you and  they are going to have to live with it for the rest of your lives, you'll get pretty arrogant too.  It takes a certain amount of balls to do that... something around three"
Malcolm Chisholm
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.115 seconds with 19 queries.