R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8   Go Down

Author Topic: yes another speaker thread! upgrade time?  (Read 52520 times)

Twerk

• Real Full Name: Shawn Hatfield
Re: yes another speaker thread! upgrade time?
« Reply #90 on: May 25, 2012, 12:26:35 AM »

Nice!  Glad the smaller footprint desk is working out for you.  T-minus 3 week or so until my D1's arrive.  So stoked!

Yeah, it's a drastic improvement over the large, and completely sealed Argosy desks. Not to mention the improved ergonomics of having my gear better placed in the sweet spot. The only problem is that I now have more empty rack spaces than before....

Oh what to get next... :)

Can't wait for you to get your D1's. Any thoughts on what you'll use to break them in?

dietrich

• Real Full Name: ds
« Reply #91 on: May 25, 2012, 09:51:49 AM »

That is a freaking AWESOME picture!! oh dear!!

Dietrich, check this out :  http://bwgroup-support.com/techmanuals.html

probably be useful for those speakers. Check the caps when you get them. Their at least 10 years old, probably closer to 20. Those electrolytic's probably won't last that long.

I had S3's and needed to repair them. Be sure to get orig Bennic caps. The high(low?) DF is part of the circuit, and if you use the wrong thing it's too bright.

thanks for links Tim. dealing with two pairs of 801 matrix 2 here(for those not on GS).
pieced together a working set now from both. they sound very GOOD

Twerk

« Reply #92 on: May 26, 2012, 02:29:44 AM »

thanks for links Tim. dealing with two pairs of 801 matrix 2 here(for those not on GS).
pieced together a working set now from both. they sound very GOOD

Glad to hear they're working for you after wrestling with them. Got any pics of them in the new studio? Any long term plans to keep them?

dietrich

« Reply #93 on: May 26, 2012, 08:12:42 AM »

They are mid-term solution as I budget and decide on the long term options.
801s fell into my lap and I am glad to have full range in the room now.

I have learned three things(two confirming others from this site).
-the 801s need plenty of space. cannot imagine them in a small room! and power
-the amp makes a difference with B&W. I brought in a few hifi $$$ amps. This Hafler Transnova 550w won the shootouts. Want to grab another and run them mono.
 -not needing subs is very nice. this is part of my long term monitor decision.

Interested now to hear N802-though I might  need a sub with them.

For all the people looking for mastering monitors under $2500 as long as your room can handle M801 find a pair. $1600+$900 Bryston and you are in

Miguel P. Marques

• Real Full Name: Miguel Marques
« Reply #94 on: May 30, 2012, 04:25:42 AM »

I just got my pair of Focal SM9s and first impressions are really great..

People interested in a new pair of speakers should try and demo these.

I'm still breaking the speaker in so I don't want to comment a lot on the sound of these speakers but give me a week or so and I'll let you know about it.
Bender Mastering Studio
www.bendermasteringstudio.com

Mirolab

• Real Full Name: Miro Svetinsky
« Reply #95 on: June 10, 2012, 08:31:08 PM »

801s fell into my lap and I am glad to have full range in the room now.
Interested now to hear N802-though I might  need a sub with them.
For all the people looking for mastering monitors under $2500 as long as your room can handle M801 find a pair. $1600+$900 Bryston and you are in

Hello... I'm new here... but Congrats on your 801-sII's....
I've been living with mine for 12 years (bought used) and am still thrilled to listen to them!... Shortly after getting them, i replaced all the electrolytics, and "upgraded" the tweeter and midrange caps with Solens, though Tim Boyce mentions to stick with original Bennics.  Anyway, i did notice less tweeter graininess..... though they are still a bit grainy compared to newer tweeters.   A large difference was made by relocating/re-orienting a couple of the inductors.  This really will clean up the 350Hz range between the woofer & mid.  Look into this if you have not tried it already.

For many years I've been considering N802s  (I tried N803s for over a year, but I was never really happy with them, and went back to my 801's).  So glad i kept them!  I am now on the very edge of ordering a pair of D1's from Tyler.   It's really hard to find a speaker that is OVERALL better than a used 801 (for under $2k-3k).   And my amp of choice for them is the 4B-ST..... i have a 4B-SST also... but like the old ST better for the 801s.

aleatoric

• Real Full Name: Mark Trewella
« Reply #96 on: July 10, 2012, 08:49:27 PM »

Well I have had my Tyler Acoustics D1's for a little under 2 weeks now.  I absolutely love them!

I don't feel the need to dive into too many details (as I would mostly just be typing variations on "yes they're absolutely amazing") but coming from a pair of Focal Solo6 BE's the difference is quite drastic.  The level of detail I can hear with this system is astonishing.  I'm hearing things in tracks I've listened to hundreds of times that I have never heard before.  The D1's come across incredibly neutral and true to the source.  Low end extension is excellent (especially post break-in).  The crossovers are invisible.  They really are a joy to listen to and work on. 

I'm running them with a pair of Hypex UcD400400HG+HxR monoblock amplifiers which are being fed by a Benchmark DAC1.   Very happy with this monitoring rig!

Attached is an updated pic of my room showing off the D1's.   8)

dietrich

« Reply #97 on: July 11, 2012, 09:18:01 AM »

Mark room looks great.

Anyone experience D10 vs D1?
Great deal on used D10

aleatoric

« Reply #98 on: July 11, 2012, 01:18:05 PM »

Anyone experience D10 vs D1?
Great deal on used D10

I don't know of any mastering engineers using the D10's (perhaps I'm wrong though).  I'd imagine the D10's are very similar to the D1's but with a bit more low end extension.  I find the D1's to go plenty low (especially post break-in) but I'm sure the D10's extend a few hz lower (they're spec'd 3hz lower) do to their larger woofers.  Can't go wrong with either in my opinion. 

dietrich

« Reply #99 on: July 11, 2012, 02:23:54 PM »

D10 size versus D1
260lb vs 170 as well

aleatoric

« Reply #100 on: July 11, 2012, 02:37:47 PM »

D10 size versus D1
260lb vs 170 as well

Yeah, a bit bigger of a cabinet to house the larger diameter woofers.  3 inches wider and 7 inches taller according to specs.  A bigger cabinet and woofers equals more weight. 

Give Tyler a call and get his take on how the D10's stack up against the D1's.  I'm sure very few people have heard both in the same space outside of him.

jdg

« Reply #101 on: July 11, 2012, 10:29:42 PM »

Well I have had my Tyler Acoustics D1's for a little under 2 weeks now.  I absolutely love them!

I don't feel the need to dive into too many details (as I would mostly just be typing variations on "yes they're absolutely amazing") but coming from a pair of Focal Solo6 BE's the difference is quite drastic.  The level of detail I can hear with this system is astonishing.  I'm hearing things in tracks I've listened to hundreds of times that I have never heard before.  The D1's come across incredibly neutral and true to the source.  Low end extension is excellent (especially post break-in).  The crossovers are invisible.  They really are a joy to listen to and work on. 

I'm running them with a pair of Hypex UcD400400HG+HxR monoblock amplifiers which are being fed by a Benchmark DAC1.   Very happy with this monitoring rig!

Attached is an updated pic of my room showing off the D1's.   8)

John McCaig
-the caption captain

Twerk

« Reply #102 on: July 11, 2012, 11:37:32 PM »

Mark truly is the master of minimal. Had I not known where he's from, I'd had guessed we was German.

aleatoric

« Reply #103 on: July 12, 2012, 06:04:54 PM »

John - Too funny.  You are about the 15th person to make some remark about my room looking like a Kubrick set or "something out of 2001: A Space Odyssey".  I don't really get it but I'll take it.

Shawn - Thanks.  I like to keep my work environment clean, simple and aesthetically pretty neutral. 

dietrich

« Reply #104 on: July 12, 2012, 06:16:50 PM »

Mark-do you have an irobot vacuum that keeps the floor that way?
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.062 seconds with 21 queries.