R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 8   Go Down

Author Topic: yes another speaker thread! upgrade time?  (Read 52526 times)

John Scrip - MASSIVE Mastering

• Real Full Name: John Scrip
Re: yes another speaker thread! upgrade time?
« Reply #45 on: April 03, 2012, 07:49:53 PM »

FTR:  The D4's arrived today. 

Definitely "small-ish" and somewhat boxy at low volume (which I was expecting) but when you kick these things in the a$$, they let loose like nothing I recall at this size. 

Britney's "Toxic" at 104dB (say what you want, that tune has a bit of everything in it).  I can't even put it to words.  And from a lousy little 60x2 Bryston 2BLP... 

This isn't fair to other small speakers. 

Twerk

• Real Full Name: Shawn Hatfield
« Reply #46 on: April 03, 2012, 08:08:37 PM »

Damn.... looking great, John.

Oh, and someone welcome me into the D1 club. I just pulled the trigger on a pair.

« Reply #47 on: April 03, 2012, 09:05:00 PM »

Nice...  Light 'em up, man.  I'm absolutely beating these like a red-headed stepchild.  I'm letting them cool off every here and there, but it's almost a shame that I have to turn them off and get back to work. 

Ahhh, the break-in.  I love the whole "sound better every day" thing, but I wish they didn't need it.  That said, I do sort of like doing it myself. 

And I just found out my matching D4's are done.
Yeah - Uh, we had a little misunderstanding between "cherry" and "custom cherry" -- But I couldn't care less.  They look great. 

djwaudio

• Real Full Name: Dana J White
« Reply #48 on: April 04, 2012, 12:47:50 AM »

I went to the Bose building for a tour and they had a room called the bunker.  It was dedicated to breaking in the long-throw drivers they use.  It was all done with low frequency noise and the drivers were approaching maximum excursion.  I guess other manufacturers don't do that, so it's a week of cranking some Bob Marley records. ;-)
Respectfully submitted,

Dana J White
Specialized Mastering
www.specializedmastering.com

jdg

« Reply #49 on: April 04, 2012, 02:16:06 PM »

Damn.... looking great, John.

Oh, and someone welcome me into the D1 club. I just pulled the trigger on a pair.

thinking about it too, instead of trying to get my dunlavys fixed....

was really comfortable working on adams for the 1hr i was there.. felt like home already
John McCaig
-the caption captain

Twerk

« Reply #50 on: April 04, 2012, 02:29:15 PM »

thinking about it too, instead of trying to get my dunlavys fixed....

was really comfortable working on adams for the 1hr i was there.. felt like home already

Is it pretty tough to find replacement tweeters for the Duns? Or is there more wrong with them than that?

jdg

« Reply #51 on: April 04, 2012, 03:33:55 PM »

just not excited about them potentially sounding different and then a woofer dying shortly after

John McCaig
-the caption captain

dietrich

• Real Full Name: ds
« Reply #52 on: April 04, 2012, 03:45:54 PM »

It's a D1 frenzy...
I need to hear them

Twerk

« Reply #53 on: April 04, 2012, 06:21:09 PM »

It's a D1 frenzy...
I need to hear them

Hell, they're big enough that you may not even need to make a faux column. Just put one in front of the existing column and voila. Two pillars of power.

aleatoric

• Real Full Name: Mark Trewella
« Reply #54 on: April 04, 2012, 06:29:31 PM »

Hell, they're big enough that you may not even need to make a faux column. Just put one in front of the existing column and voila. Two pillars or power.

This made me laugh. 

Twerk - Definitely chime in with your thoughts and opinions after spending time with the D1's. 

Twerk

« Reply #55 on: April 13, 2012, 04:54:10 PM »

Adam, thanks again for the info on MM audio. My amps just arrived today and I had only ordered them a week ago... That's scary fast considering they're coming from the Netherlands!

Miguel P. Marques

• Real Full Name: Miguel Marques
« Reply #56 on: April 19, 2012, 09:45:49 AM »

I actually haven't read the whole thread but just to say that I bought a pair of Focal SM9's and I'll be waiting for them to arrive in the next weeks.

If you haven't tried them you should arrange a demo, they're starting now to ship, because they're great monitors!
Bender Mastering Studio
www.bendermasteringstudio.com

Cass Anawaty

« Reply #57 on: April 20, 2012, 10:32:24 PM »

No one knew what the hell D1s were until I told Scrip I was looking at the company.  Now everyone has them and I don't!!!   ;)
Cass Anawaty, Mastering Engineer
www.sunbreakmusic.com

« Reply #58 on: April 21, 2012, 01:54:13 AM »

No one knew what the hell D1s were until I told Scrip I was looking at the company.  Now everyone has them and I don't!!!   ;)

« Reply #59 on: April 24, 2012, 07:59:55 PM »

D4M UPDATE: 

So, I've been beating these things like red-headed step-children since they arrived and they broke in well.  When you crank them to "yeah baby" levels, it's stunning what sort of fidelity these things are capable of.  HOWEVER: 

At "normal-ish" volumes, I thought they were a bit "boxy" (then came to the conclusion that as wonderful as they are, they aren't 6' tall with 4 woofers and figured "boxy" isn't the word -- "Dark" was better). 

Which brought me back to a e-conversation I had with (Black Belt Mastering?) and he mentioned that his D1's were a whisker dark for his taste and Tyler mentioned something about a resistor before the caps on the crossover to the tweeter (and subsequently found out that my D1's have either a lower resistance or no resistor at all, which is why, even while hypersensitive to top end, I feel as if mine are just fine - but that's for another thread). 

Anyway -- Phone call to Tyler -- 5 ohm resistor on the tweeter.  Now I'm not a genuine electronics guy - But as I understand these tweeters/resistors/crossovers, that resistor is attenuating the top end under lower power by about 1dB per ohm at lower levels and backs down as the power goes up (which is why the top end is spectacular at high volume, but seems "too dark for me" at lower volume). 

A couple wires and alligator clips later, I have those resistors bypassed.  Very, very cool -- A little too bright at lower volume, evens out nicely at high volumes if not just a whisker harsh.  Not exactly what I'm looking for, but really close. 

Tyler:  (read with laid-back mild southern drawl for best effect) "Those are Mills fivers -- You can get them at Parts Express if you want to lower the value..."

1.5's are on the way and I'm expecting small-speaker perfection. 
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 8   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.385 seconds with 22 queries.