R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8   Go Down

Author Topic: yes another speaker thread! upgrade time?  (Read 52317 times)

John Scrip - MASSIVE Mastering

• Real Full Name: John Scrip
Re: yes another speaker thread! upgrade time?
« Reply #75 on: May 11, 2012, 01:25:23 AM »

Geez, I wish I could cut off at 30-40 minutes...  He's got a couple motorcycles he's reconditioning now.  So once we spend an hour yakking about speakers, he mentions something about motorcycles and the clock starts again. 

My only issue thus far has been in how bright they seem. I've never had the luxury of trying out B&W's nor have I had the pleasure of using Dunlavy's.
I can tell you that compared to N802's, the highs are more "smooth and silky" while being a bit more "open and airy" (geez, I hate this terminology).  Against the Dunlavy (SC4's), sort of the same, but more "image-related" (oh geez, I sound like some nutcase). 

That all said -- And now I have a bit of experience on this with the D4M's -- If you want to "temper" the top end a bit, find out what value the resistor is that's inline between the tweeter wire (from the back panel) and the rest of the crossover (it's a 'fat' resistor that sort of looks like a GI Joe hot dog without the bun).  It's probably 1 ohm - if there's one there.  Every ohm is about 1dB of "softer" --

That said -- Make sure that it's "too much" top as opposed to just "wonderfully open" top...  I mean, if you're making cuts where you normally wouldn't -- Or are you just hearing more than you normally were...

Twerk

• Real Full Name: Shawn Hatfield
« Reply #76 on: May 11, 2012, 02:39:49 AM »

Yeah, I'm going to give it some time to adjust to what is quite possibly just more open and clear high end, rather than it being overemphasized in some way. I'm also wondering if I'm getting some early reflections that I didn't used to get due to the extra height of the speakers. I may need to experiment with some additional diffusion, and quite possibly a narrower desk (plan a) for this room. My argosy desk has a shit ton of surface space and I'm beginning to think it's problematic for speakers this size, in a room this small.

aleatoric

• Real Full Name: Mark Trewella
« Reply #77 on: May 11, 2012, 01:01:21 PM »

Just a heads up that Tyler is currently finishing a new model. 

Essentially it's a floor standing only version of the MM5 but with a 12" woofer instead of 10".  The cabinet is a little bigger as well.  Low end extension is expected to be spec'd at 24hz. 

I was already pretty much 100% on a getting a pair of custom height floor standing MM5's but after talking to Tyler about this new model with the 12" woofer I'm now going to go with those.  Basically he said they will be voiced identically to the MM5's but with greater low end extension do to the larger cabinet and larger woofer.  Obviously they will be priced a bit more as well. 

He also elaborated that he's dividing the MM5's and floor standing variations (one with 10" and the other with a 12" woofer) into three separate models with three different names.  He did not have the names locked in yet but essentially there will still be the MM5's which come with stands (hence the name "monitor", "MM" standing for "mastering monitor"), a floor standing version of the MM5's which will be called something else now (most likely "D" and then some number) and then the floor standing version with a 12" woofer instead of a 10" will be called something else as well. 

He's finishing the first pair with the 12" woofer very soon and pictures should be available shortly.

Twerk

« Reply #78 on: May 16, 2012, 01:52:40 AM »

I'm finally starting to get used to these D1's and they're magnificent. Yesterday I was curious how far I've acclimated, so I setup my old monitors and did some A/B switching. It literally felt like putting foam over my ears when listening to my old monitors. The D1's are so detailed and open that you literally feel like you're inside the music. I spoke to Ty about getting some resistors to bring the top end down a tiny bit, so he's got some 1 ohm resistors on the way. I'm tempted to just hold tight and see how much I acclimate to the high frequency, before installing them. I may not really need them. I've been working with near-fields for 15+ years, so switching to D1's was like spending a lifetime looking at Gifs, and then suddenly seeing HDTV for the first time. Painfully clear. I've also gotten rid of my behemoth of a desk which was causing quite a bit of early reflections from the additional drivers situated vertically. I've got a Plan A on order as of about 20 minutes ago. Awww yeah.

dietrich

• Real Full Name: ds
« Reply #79 on: May 16, 2012, 05:16:33 PM »

Out of blue I just bought a pair of 801 Matrix S2....very good deal and at least I will take some new studio pics with b&w in the room... :o

they will be dropped off tomorrow

Twerk

« Reply #80 on: May 16, 2012, 05:47:43 PM »

Congrats, Deitrich!

Looking forward to some pics!

Just don't do this:

dietrich

• Real Full Name: ds
« Reply #81 on: May 16, 2012, 07:00:13 PM »

Shawn, thank you for not posting D1 pics to make me green.
Email from hifi wheeling friend was 'I am meeting a dealer  tomorrow that has a pair of 801 Matrix S2 for  a deal, do you want them for that price'.

I am sure they will only spend a few months here but I needed to try some 800 series at some point

« Reply #82 on: May 17, 2012, 04:18:45 AM »

Congrats, Deitrich!

Looking forward to some pics!

Just don't do this:

Coolest - photo - ever.  EVER!!!

aleatoric

« Reply #83 on: May 17, 2012, 02:46:37 PM »

Well guys I just placed an order for a pair of D1's.   8)

Blackened Oak, copper color tweeter, custom stands to bring the tweeter up to my ear level and single posts wiring. 

I spent a good deal of time going back and forth between saving some cash and going for the 12" woofer MM5 model (which I believe Tyler will be calling the D112's) and extending myself a bit for the D1's.  I feel like I made the right decision.   

Absolutely can not wait to get them!  They should be here in 4 weeks. 

Twerk

« Reply #84 on: May 17, 2012, 03:20:29 PM »

Congrats!

Looking forward to hearing how you adapt to them after years on the Focals. How tall are the stands you got?

(this thread should be renamed to the high-five thread)

aleatoric

« Reply #85 on: May 17, 2012, 03:58:56 PM »

Thanks! 

I'm sure it's going to be quite an adjustment moving to these from the Focals.  Completely different style of speaker. 

Not entirely sure of the exact stand height but probably something like 10-12 inches.  I just gave Tyler my desired tweeter height (which is 48 inches).  He could not remember off the top of his head but thinks the D1 tweeter height is something like 36 inches.  Whatever it is the stands are being built to bring the tweeter to my ear level which is 48 inches. 

« Reply #86 on: May 18, 2012, 01:27:50 AM »

Don't forget a tiny little tilt...  That made a world of difference here. 

I think the rears are on 1/2" rubber and the fronts have a single, unfrozen (brand new) hockey puck giving me just a touch of tilt (not quite a 1/2" if I'm not losing my mind, which is completely possible).  If it helps, my stands (Tyler) are 4" -- They're sitting on top of (1.5"?) granite slabs.  That had the tweeter just a whisker (a couple inches or so) low.  The tilt put them right *and* reduces any straight-on reflections -- killing 2 birds with one 5.56mm 62gr NATO round... 

Stone -- I mean "stone" -- Sorry...  My mind was somewhere else for a moment. 

High-fives all 'round.   8)

Tim Boyce

« Reply #87 on: May 18, 2012, 02:56:39 PM »

That is a freaking AWESOME picture!! oh dear!!

Dietrich, check this out :  http://bwgroup-support.com/techmanuals.html

probably be useful for those speakers. Check the caps when you get them. Their at least 10 years old, probably closer to 20. Those electrolytic's probably won't last that long.

I had S3's and needed to repair them. Be sure to get orig Bennic caps. The high(low?) DF is part of the circuit, and if you use the wrong thing it's too bright.

http://hifi.goneill.co.nz/bw.php 

Enjoy them!

Twerk

« Reply #88 on: May 24, 2012, 09:46:19 PM »

Just got the Plan A up n' running and it's made a drastic improvement on the acoustics in here. F U, Argosy.

These speakers are freakishly phenomenal.

aleatoric

« Reply #89 on: May 24, 2012, 10:22:08 PM »

Just got the Plan A up n' running and it's made a drastic improvement on the acoustics in here. F U, Argosy.

These speakers are freakishly phenomenal.

Nice!  Glad the smaller footprint desk is working out for you.  T-minus 3 week or so until my D1's arrive.  So stoked!
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.087 seconds with 19 queries.