R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 8   Go Down

Author Topic: yes another speaker thread! upgrade time?  (Read 52318 times)

aleatoric

• Real Full Name: Mark Trewella
Re: yes another speaker thread! upgrade time?
« Reply #30 on: February 23, 2012, 10:27:31 AM »

Assuming that wasn't me, now you've heard it from two.  They do roll off some, but if I put 22Hz through them at ~upper-80's dBSPL (pink), it feels like a semi is idling in the foyer.

Adam Gonsalves of Telegraph Mastering.  He basically said the same thing.  After break in they extend much lower than spec'd. 

After speaking with Adam on the phone and reading your written review and comments on the D1's John (and knowing what speakers you have had before) I have a lot of confidence in Tyler's designs. 

I imagine these new MM5's are nothing short of amazing.  The price is great too! 

jdg

« Reply #31 on: February 23, 2012, 11:51:14 AM »

yeah. in adams room, they sound plenty low.
i wasn't missing any bottom octave
John McCaig
-the caption captain

John Scrip - MASSIVE Mastering

• Real Full Name: John Scrip
« Reply #32 on: February 23, 2012, 12:40:28 PM »

Adam Gonsalves of Telegraph Mastering.  He basically said the same thing.  After break in they extend much lower than spec'd. 
And they were a bear to break in - I know Ty does what he can (I think the goal is to play music through them for a week) but in my case, they were finished on Thursday and dropped off on Saturday. 

That said - I've broken in speakers before, so I had weapons at the ready.  Made a disc of bass warbles and automated band-passed pink ("swooshes") to pound them, Chesky UDD2 tracks to "relax" them between workouts, pink, tones, etc. just to heat everything up occasionally. 

When the things first got here, they were really tight sounding - and by "tight" I mean "strangled and restricted" -- Every time I'm talking to someone on the phone about 'em, I make it a point to warn them about that.  And every time someone gets a pair, they call up within a couple days all worried to make sure I said something about that.  And every time, a week or two later, I get a call with them laughing about how they walked in one morning and all of a sudden, they sound absolutely spectacular. 

And I hope I saved that disc, because I have a set of matching D4's just about ready.   8)

I lucked out quite a bit when mine came in -- Every year, there are a couple of rather involved dance shows I compile -- About 100 tracks that need basic level-matching and occasional noise reduction (and de-crackling and what not on the ones that are pounded to death).  Then compiled into 10 unique discs with around 20 tracks each, to run in the order of the performances. 

It's always a good mix of pop, classical, RnB, etc.  Most all of it commercially available and semi-popular (so I'm familiar with how a lot of it should sound anyway).  Only minor tweaking, could almost be done on headphones.  But the lucky part is that I was able to spend my first 40 or 50 "work" hours on these listening to THAT stuff.  Not having to make critical sonic decisions for the most part, listening to a broad selection of tracks while they were finding themselves. 

But since they broke in I can certainly tell you one thing -- The number of revisions I find myself doing is nearly zero.  One track in January (granted, January was a bit slow, but still...) and that was one of those "we mixed it a little light and we can hear the low end you put in but we'd like a little more if you can" revisions. 

I don't particularly have a record of doing "a lot" of revisions before, but they've probably paid for themselves on that alone. 

adamgonsa

« Reply #33 on: February 27, 2012, 10:15:20 AM »

The D1s sound magnificent and Ty is the model of a helpful and conscientious small business owner.

They do definitely extend below spec.  When I play Source Direct through them (thanks Macc!) it's like the sanitation trucks are outside to pick up the garbage. 

And they were a bear to break in - I know Ty does what he can (I think the goal is to play music through them for a week)
John's not lying.  I had to beat them in for about 5 days solid before they properly loosened. 

I've broken in speakers before, so I had weapons at the ready.  Made a disc of bass warbles and automated band-passed pink ("swooshes") to pound them, Chesky UDD2 tracks to "relax" them between workouts, pink, tones, etc. just to heat everything up occasionally.
My break-in playlist was bass warbles and pink swooshes I created in Logic.  There was also liberal use of The Chronic & Spank Rock as well as Haydn piano concertos for "cool downs" in between all that bass.   

But since they broke in I can certainly tell you one thing -- The number of revisions I find myself doing is nearly zero.
Truth. Way fewer than when I had K&Hs.  When it does happen it's usually slight level up/down.

If I was shopping now I'd definitely want to hear the MM5s
Thinking I'll pair them with Hypex UcD400 Mono Blocks.
  The UcD400s power my D1s perfectly.  That extended d'appolito array can be a hard load to push, but they do it without breaking a sweat. 
Adam Gonsalves
Telegraph Mastering

Twerk

• Real Full Name: Shawn Hatfield
« Reply #34 on: February 28, 2012, 02:51:31 PM »

I'll be the first to admit I'm not good with soldering electronics. What's the deal with getting UCD400's already built?

djwaudio

• Real Full Name: Dana J White
« Reply #35 on: February 28, 2012, 06:07:48 PM »

+1.  Is there a demo unit floating around?  Everyone raving about them is nice, but to build an amp without hearing it is a stretch for me. 
Respectfully submitted,

Dana J White
Specialized Mastering
www.specializedmastering.com

adamgonsa

« Reply #36 on: February 29, 2012, 10:57:53 AM »

I'll be the first to admit I'm not good with soldering electronics. What's the deal with getting UCD400's already built?
I got mine pre-built from MM Audio.  Bruno and Niels are very helpful, and the shipping from the Netherlands was alarmingly fast. You can also buy them pre-built from Channel Island or Hexateq

+1.  Is there a demo unit floating around?  Everyone raving about them is nice, but to build an amp without hearing it is a stretch for me. 
Drop me a line Dana.  I'm in Portland so I could bring them by your space or you could check them out in mine. 
Adam Gonsalves
Telegraph Mastering

Twerk

« Reply #37 on: February 29, 2012, 01:24:23 PM »

Adam, thanks for the info! That's super helpful.

Twerk

« Reply #38 on: February 29, 2012, 03:06:16 PM »

Just got off the phone with Ty at Tyler Acoustics. Talk about great customer service! I feel a lot better buying from someone like him than some of these other companies. I appreciate the heads-up on this company, John (Scrip).

He said he can do the MM5's in a floor standing version as well for no extra charge.

Deitrich, looks like he has a pair of used D1's for almost half the price on his site.

dietrich

• Real Full Name: ds
« Reply #39 on: February 29, 2012, 03:38:00 PM »

@ Twerk: I cannot drop a dollar until move+room build done next 30 days. and yes I noticed the D1 prices there and a few other used options. Would love find place compare MM5 vs D1

djwaudio

• Real Full Name: Dana J White
« Reply #40 on: February 29, 2012, 07:09:27 PM »

Thanks Adam, I'll be in touch!
Respectfully submitted,

Dana J White
Specialized Mastering
www.specializedmastering.com

Twerk

« Reply #41 on: March 28, 2012, 10:12:15 PM »

Hey John (Scrip), I'm curious about how far back you sit from your D1's. I'm in a smaller sized room and I wouldn't be able to put a lot of space between me and the speakers.

« Reply #42 on: March 29, 2012, 02:03:33 AM »

I'm in a smaller room too.  About Not quite 7' to the fronts.  I know - It seems awfully close - but with these, it works. 

Eh, it worked fine with the 802's also.  There's 36-ish traps in here so it's pretty well controlled no matter where you are. 

And I just found out my matching D4's are done.   8) 

Twerk

« Reply #43 on: March 29, 2012, 03:43:23 PM »

Thanks for the info. Do you feel like you're losing anything from having them behind the desk? There's a couple of lower drivers firing into the back of your desk. I'm curious if that's an issue, since I have a similar desk to you. I've debated moving over to something like a Sterling Plan A to give all the speakers a clear shot at me.

« Reply #44 on: March 29, 2012, 11:36:58 PM »

I don't have an issue with it.  So many woofers...    :o 
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 8   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.036 seconds with 23 queries.