R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Authoring a master CD image with tracks that overlap  (Read 4434 times)

Hermetech Mastering

• Real Full Name: Gregg Janman
Authoring a master CD image with tracks that overlap
« on: January 31, 2012, 03:37:31 PM »

Forgive the somewhat newbie question, but I've only ever been asked for uploaded files via FTP, or a physical CD with no overlapping tracks before, so here goes...

Got a lovely project on the go at the moment. Four long tracks. The two final tracks need to overlap on the CD, one ambient outro to one ambient intro.

I am using Samplitude Pro X, which I have recently started using. I may purchase the Sonoris DDP Creator in the near future, if it does what I want it to do.

The request: the plant want either a DDP image, or some other kind of disc image, that can be burned with all the relevant track indexing in place, either via FTP, or physical media. Obviously, a DDP image via FTP would be the easiest/quickest/cheapest/most reliable way.

What I have done: Laid out all the tracks in Samplitude with the correct track indexes in the correct places, and the crossfade between tracks 3 and 4 sounding perfect. Track index marker for track 4 is placed half way through the crossfade.

The problem: I would ideally like to be able to take the Samplitude session above and convert it into some kind of an image file WITHOUT having to burn a physical master CD (as that has the possibility of causing more errors, especially as I have had trouble sourcing a decent Plextor drive and good Taiyo Yuden media here in Milan). Samplitude Pro X only seems capable of burning a physical CD.

Question: Is that actually the case? I know I can just burn an audio master CD with Samplitude, then "rip" an image file from it with EAC or something, but I'd like to skip this stage if possible.

Query: If I buy Sonoris DDP Creator, will it let me, A) do crossfades between tracks, and, B) let me add a CD track index in the middle of the crossfade?

Final question: Any easy solutions without having to burn a physical CD?

Sorry for the long, drawn out questions, but surely there must be a way to do this? Anyone with a lot of experience, or good chops with Samplitude or Sonoris DDP creator, answer these questions for me? And I know Sequoia could probably do this, but I can't afford the extra $2500 that would cost to upgrade right now...

Thanks in advance,

Gregg

John Scrip - MASSIVE Mastering

• Real Full Name: John Scrip
Re: Authoring a master CD image with tracks that overlap
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2012, 05:33:52 PM »

Don't burn in real time -- It will make a .wav/.cue file that'll do what you're looking for. 

Hermetech Mastering

« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2012, 05:40:12 PM »

Thanks John!

So, it's relatively easy to do? I've already done the "convert the separate tracks into one .wav file whilst keeping the CD track index markers" bit, so I'll look into how to generate a .cue file tomorrow (late here now!)

« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2012, 12:27:49 AM »

Yep - I'm trying to remember the particulars, but "Burn CD" and "Create New File" (or whatever it says) in a new folder.  In that folder, you'll see a .wav and a .cue file.  You should be able to author a DDP from the .cue file.  If you open that .wav in Samplitude, it'll play just like it was the disc.  You can open the .cue with the .wav in just about any decent editor. 

Hermetech Mastering

« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2012, 09:13:45 AM »

Thanks so much John. Yes, Samplitude included a .cue file when I exported the whole CD .wav, and yes, DDPCreator imported it correctly so I was able to provide a DDP image to the client and plant, thank you!

Only thing I couldn't work out how to do was preserve the CDText info from Samplitude to DDPCreator, or work out how to edit individual track CDText info in DDPCreator, but am presuming it was just early user error, and who wants CDText anyway. ;)

Thanks once again dude, life saver! (Was under very tight deadline...)

« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2012, 12:31:52 PM »

Not sure what's missing, but I'm assuming you're going into the CD-Text area in Samplitude and editing it all after the track markers are inserted...?  And the Artist needs to be entered into at least one track and then "Apply to All" or whatever it says (geez, I do this every day and I don't remember what it says...).   :o

Tim Boyce

« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2012, 04:00:16 PM »

You can also 'rent' Sequoia. .. save yourself some of that $2500 .. but glad you found a work-around.

Hermetech Mastering

« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2012, 05:26:11 AM »

Thanks, all sorted now! Didn't know you could rent Sequoia, but hopefully will not need to!

jamesp

« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2012, 08:08:32 AM »

Only thing I couldn't work out how to do was preserve the CDText info from Samplitude to DDPCreator, or work out how to edit individual track CDText info in DDPCreator, but am presuming it was just early user error, and who wants CDText anyway. ;)

If you are working with .cue files they're just plain text so you can easily add or modify them yourself. The full explanation of their syntax is on the Goldenhawk CDRWin website as they were the originator of the .cue format.

James.
James Perrett - JRP Music
http://www.jrpmusic.net

Hermetech Mastering

« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2012, 11:39:42 AM »

Thanks James, that's great to know. Seems like I'm about to fork out for DDP Creator Pro 3.00 ;) The demo has been working very well and I have been very impressed.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.053 seconds with 21 queries.