R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: USB interface issues...  (Read 2730 times)

encryptid

• Real Full Name: Daniel Dent
USB interface issues...
« on: January 22, 2012, 12:59:19 PM »

I am using Cakewalk Sonar X1-C and I have connected my Allen & Heath Zed22FX mixing console to my PC via USB cable. The PC just sees the mixing console as a random USB device and Sonar doesn't have any listings for the 16 available channels that I should be seeing. I am used to using a PreSonus rack mounted interface which comes with its own software where I can see the 10 available recording inputs... but this A & H doesn't seem to have any available software drivers or software in general so that my PC knows what it is. I was able to finally get a recording out of it but only one track at a time as my PC doesn't see the 16 separate tracks, instead it combines everything into one input "USB audio codec". Can anyone make sense of all that?

Thanks!
Daniel Dent
Roanoke, VA

EDIT:

I fixed the stuttering issue I was getting during recording by updating to Sonar X1 - C and I downloaded Asio 4 All universal audio drivers. I can still only get my PC to see the mixing console as a single input device... so I have to record one track at a time.... is it possible that the Allen & Heath Zed22fx doesn't have the capability to do what I'm trying to do?

George Friedman-Jimenez

Re: USB interface issues...
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2012, 04:53:34 PM »

I think the Zed22FX is like my Zed10FX and the USB connection is limited to stereo 16 bit, mainly useful for stereo playback, eg, DJing off a laptop between sets. It should record 2 tracks though, R and L, not just one.

Bubba--Kron

« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2012, 06:16:41 PM »

If the driver says it is for your set-up, it should work in its entirety.  If there is no specific driver for your rig then you are screwed!!
Cheers, Bryan Richards

encryptid

« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2012, 07:54:00 PM »

I've been messing around with this thing all night... looks like I can only record one track at a time via the USB connection. I'm still going to call Allen & Heath this week and ask about it... I'll make sure to post the info here in case someone else needs it. I guess it's not a huge deal, as long as I don't need to record any two instruments together for timing purposes or something. If it turns out that this thing can't do multi-track inputs I'm gonna stick it back in the trailer for live performances and get something else to use as an interface... speaking of which, any suggestions?

encryptid

« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2012, 07:29:17 PM »

Got a reply back from Allen & Heath Rep. today. Here is what he says:

"The ZED series boards (with the exception of the ZED-R16) are equipped with a 2-in/2-out USB interface. You won't be able to record 16 individual channels in real time, unfortunately."

So that's the answer. Hope this helps anyone else trying to do the same thing!

always_ending

• Real Full Name: Aaron D Mohler
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2012, 03:36:08 PM »

Interface suggestion - Lynx Aurora 16

I've had mine for a few years and it sounds/functions great!

16 in/out and you can daisy chain another one with it later if you need.

I record on my Macbook Pro i7 with Cubase 6 and my Lynx running 24bit-96k all the time with all 16 channels running at once in, no issues at all  :)

Of course to run this interface you would also need 16 outboard pre's to utilize the entire in/out of it and it doesn't appear that the ZED has direct line outs for each channel.

George Friedman-Jimenez

« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2012, 03:57:25 PM »

What are you trying to record? What is your approximate budget? Telling us a bit more about what you are recording and your studio setup will help people here give you information and advice that is appropriate to your needs and resources.

AgusHardiman

• Real Full Name: Agus Hardiman
« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2012, 09:21:04 AM »

Got a reply back from Allen & Heath Rep. today. Here is what he says:

"The ZED series boards (with the exception of the ZED-R16) are equipped with a 2-in/2-out USB interface. You won't be able to record 16 individual channels in real time, unfortunately."

So that's the answer. Hope this helps anyone else trying to do the same thing!
If you looked at the same mixer which have interfaces from other company like Yamaha, Alesis, Behringer etc, you'll notice that usually it's only 2input, it's very common.....so you need to mix it on-the-fly :)

If you want to record multiple inputs, please check Presonus Firestudio or Presonus Audiobox 1818VSL or RME Fireface800.

Cheers.
[ THE MUSIC FOR MEDIA ]
For royalti free music library....Check my portofolio & buy it in http://audiojungle.net/user/agushardiman
My music showcase : www.soundcloud.com/agushardiman
My studio : www.StudioMusikTek.com
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.073 seconds with 20 queries.