R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Monitor Help?  (Read 3322 times)

Condensersss

• Real Full Name: TJ Grody
Monitor Help?
« on: January 15, 2012, 06:56:38 PM »

Hi, I hope I did this right...

I am looking for some help choosing monitors, and I have about 5500 to spend and I don't know if I should get multiple pairs, or just one pair and also I don't know what to get. A couple suggestions would be very helpful.

Thanks,

Tim Halligan

Re: Monitor Help?
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2012, 04:33:39 AM »

Ideally you want to audition them in the place you are going to be using them...and you want to sit with them for more than a few hours.

You really want to try them for days at a minimum to weeks at best.

If by "multiple pairs" you mean large and small speaker sets, then by all means do. If you mean "I wanna do 5.1" I'd suggest you save your money.

As for suggestions...I have none. Everybody hears things differently. For example, I think Dynaudios blow goats, yet other people seem to love them.

You're going to have to find a set that works for you.

But remember...it's not about how they sound...it's about what they make you do.

HTH

Cheers,
Tim
An analogue brain in a digital world.

Fletcher

« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2012, 09:20:07 AM »

it's about what they make you do.

Absolutely!!!!!!

Everything you hear from a monitor - the inverse will happen with the product hits the street.  Bright monitors - dull mixes... bassy monitors - thin mixes.

You're going to hear what you're going to hear and you're going to want the mix to sound like _____ if the monitors push you in a direction that let you achieve your goal both in the control room and [more importantly] when the product hits the street you're going to be in good shape.

Remember - re-production speakers are for listening to music... monitors are for creating audio to be played back later.  Don't confuse the two!!  Its not what you hear from the monitors when you're playing other people's stuff back - its what you hear from their speakers when you're playing your stuff back.

Peace
CN Fletcher

mwagener wrote on Sat, 11 September 2004 14:33
We are selling emotions, there are no emotions in a grid

"Recording engineers are an arrogant bunch
If you've spent most of your life with a few thousand dollars worth of musicians in the studio, making a decision every second and a half... and you and  they are going to have to live with it for the rest of your lives, you'll get pretty arrogant too.  It takes a certain amount of balls to do that... something around three"
Malcolm Chisholm

Condensersss

• Real Full Name: TJ Grody
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2012, 12:17:13 PM »

By multiple monitors, I was meaning a small and large set, not 5.1. Could you guys suggest some monitors to try out as I am kinda lost with all the different monitors out today.
Thanks

Fletcher

« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2012, 12:21:49 PM »

That will kinda depend on budget... I really like the Unity Audio "Rock" monitors... but I also like Focal "Twin 6"s.  Aventone Mix Cubes are great!! -- and the speakers Mick Guzauski is involved with [Guzauski - Swift] are pretty damn cool too... then you have R/E/P's very own Fran Manzella's "Griffin" monitors that I heard in a studio in Massachusetts [that I had worked in quite a bit back in the day] that totally blew me away.

It all comes down to budget, requirement, and personal preference.

Sorry I couldn't be of greater assistance.

Peace
CN Fletcher

If you've spent most of your life with a few thousand dollars worth of musicians in the studio, making a decision every second and a half... and you and  they are going to have to live with it for the rest of your lives, you'll get pretty arrogant too.  It takes a certain amount of balls to do that... something around three"
Malcolm Chisholm

rocksure

• Real Full Name: Tony Koretz
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2012, 03:00:06 AM »

Aventone Mix Cubes are great!!

How do the Avantones compare to the old "horror"tone 5C speakers in your opinion?
Royalty-free Music and Sound Effects
http://rocksuresoundz.com

Fletcher

« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2012, 07:36:51 AM »

Its not a very high bar to hit... they're close enough to 5C's to give you a very similar frame of reference.
CN Fletcher

Malcolm Chisholm

saint

• Producer/Engineer/Mixer
« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2012, 12:31:58 AM »

Narrow it down & Choose a 3 or 4 pairs of speakers, get to (if unable to do it in YOUR room) a good (established/well known) room that IS good. listen to the SAME material that you KNOW intimately) for the same length of time through the SAME amplifier at the SAME level. (GET an spl meter from Radio Shack and listen at no louder than 90db... 80 or 85 is better). Have someone to help you switch the cables as QUICKLY as possible. Do NOT put more than one set on monitors on the meter bridge at a time & make sure they are placed properly (same distance, same angle). Then it's the 'Process of Elimination'. Trust YOUR ears since you will be listening to them for 18 hours a day!
Blue Skies!  Saint

Fletcher

« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2012, 11:59:52 AM »

GET an spl meter from Radio Shack
Amusingly - there is an iPhone app that does both SPL meter and 1/3rd octave RTA... I think its like a buck or two [don't have an iPhone but all my touring buddies do... next time you go to a rock show check of the FOH position... you'll see their iPhone with lots of "dancing bars" on it... kinda funny...
CN Fletcher

Malcolm Chisholm

Tim Halligan

« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2012, 09:00:55 PM »

Amusingly - there is an iPhone app that does both SPL meter and 1/3rd octave RTA... I think its like a buck or two [don't have an iPhone but all my touring buddies do... next time you go to a rock show check of the FOH position... you'll see their iPhone with lots of "dancing bars" on it... kinda funny...

I don't have an iPhone either, but I'm reliably informed that the SPL/RTA thingfish craps out at 108dB...which is a lot...unless you are mixing AC/DC.

Cheers,
Tim
An analogue brain in a digital world.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.072 seconds with 21 queries.