R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: I need a mic tech...  (Read 3127 times)

chconnor

I need a mic tech...
« on: January 09, 2012, 07:37:42 PM »

Hi - I would love recommendations for a mic tech that can clean the diaphragms on a LDC. This isn't a vintage/expensive mic (it's a CAD E-350 mentioned in the capsule-cleaning thread in this forum), so I'm not looking for the deluxe treatment or obscure techniques, necessarily, just a basic cleaning. I'm in the US, pacific northwest; not interested to send it out of the country.

I searched google, these forums, etc, for many variations on "microphone technician" and came up almost totally empty, so I ask here.

[Update: the magic words are "microphone repair"... found one or two, now, but still happy for recommendations.]

Thanks for any responses or PM's!
-Casey

[I believe posting this request is within forum guidelines... correct me if wrong...]

Nob Turner

Re: I need a mic tech...
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2012, 02:30:54 AM »

have you contacted CAD? often the manufacturer is the least expensive, and most reliable, repair choice.

radiovinhet

• Real Full Name: Luis Fernando
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2012, 11:38:33 AM »

Are you sure that is dirty capsule?

klaus

« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2012, 03:16:22 PM »

Here is the test I would undertake before suspecting the capsule any further:

http://repforums.prosoundweb.com/index.php/topic,1136.msg5815.html#msg5815
Klaus Heyne
German Masterworks®
www.GermanMasterworks.com

chconnor

« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2012, 01:12:54 PM »

Thanks all, I missed all these posts because I forgot to enable email notifications. I appreciate the responses.

@Nob - Thanks, they haven't serviced this mic for a while, though... it's an older model (from 1998): http://recordinghacks.com/microphones/CAD/Equitek-E350

@radiovinhet, Klaus: Thanks; in my totally non-expert way, I'm 99% sure it's the capsule. I performed breath tests and it totally follows the humidity pattern in every way I've read described here and elsewhere... I tested the batteries, which were fine, and experimentally replaced them anyway, cleaned all the circuitry, etc. The only thing that makes it cut out is singing/talking/breathing close to it, and it cuts out exactly in the manner predicted.

I found a tech, though, and sent the mic off, so I guess we'll get a real answer soon. :-) Wish it/me luck.
-c

klaus

« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2012, 02:21:08 PM »

Thanks for the update. Please post results.
Klaus Heyne
German Masterworks®
www.GermanMasterworks.com
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.034 seconds with 22 queries.