R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: CD-Text lead-in area question  (Read 4567 times)

caulifloweraudio

• Real Full Name: Adam Boose
CD-Text lead-in area question
« on: January 05, 2012, 03:49:57 PM »

Hi guys,

I hope this hasn't been answered before... I went looking and couldn't find anything. Does anyone know whether Jam writes CD-TEXT in the lead-in or program area of the CD-R? I've never had a problem with it yet, but there's always a first time. From what I understand, CD-TEXT is written in the lead-in area virtually all the time these days...

This is from the Kunaki website, and I'm a little unclear as to what it means:

2.28  Will my song titles, artist information, credits etc. show on the CDs you manufacture for me?

Answer: You need to make sure that this information is present on your master disc and that the CD drive you use for the upload supports CD text. We support the leading standard in the area of CD text, not the Sony standard, which is not universally supported. You can read about the difference in Wikipedia.

Does this make sense to anyone? I think they mean "lead-in area standard," right? Or am I missing something. As always, thank you for any insight.

caulifloweraudio

Re: CD-Text lead-in area question
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2012, 04:05:56 PM »

Well, after digging around a little bit, it appears that Macs use the Sony method, which uses the lead-in area. So, it looks like I might have to look to a PC to burn a disc that they can use... hmm.

djwaudio

• Real Full Name: Dana J White
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2012, 12:30:18 AM »

This is the first I've ever heard of non standardized CD Text.

Are we confusing CD TEXT with a Karioke disc? I believe the lyrics are in the R-W channel on those, where CD text is in the P&Q channels along with track timing info.

At any rate, I've had no trouble with CD Text with Jam created masters.
Respectfully submitted,

Dana J White
Specialized Mastering
www.specializedmastering.com

Thomas W. Bethel

• Real Full Name: Thomas W. Bethel
  • When only the best will do.
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2012, 06:30:45 AM »

I use Wavelab and never had a problem with CD text. FWIW

Some burners don't support CD text and more and more players don't seem to support it either.

I usually try and dissuade my clients from doing it as we have had problems in the past with certain CD production plants.
Thomas W. Bethel
Managing Director
Acoustik Musik, Ltd.
http://www.acoustikmusik.com/

Doing what you love is freedom.
Loving what you do is happiness.

Celebrating 29 years in business in 2024

When only the best will do...

caulifloweraudio

« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2012, 04:56:12 PM »

Hey Tom,

Thanks for the reply. I've been trying to dissuade it as well, so I don't think it's gonna be a problem this time around. But it was a curious thing to discover. Ah well, I spent a few good hours last night looking into it. Live and learn.

Thanks again!

BiigNiick

• R/E/P Forums
  • Real Full Name: Nick Landis
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2012, 05:01:17 PM »

the only programs i've found on a mac that write the cd-text correctly are Wavelab7 and Sonoris DDP Creator

everything else on a mac uses the 'sony method'

Tim Boyce

« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2012, 05:23:53 PM »

One standard is licensed by Philips, the other by Sony. Most plants do one or the other... there is also a per disc license fee for have it pressed with CD Text (which may or may not be absorbed by the manufacturer)..which is part of why you never see CD Text in giant major label releases. if it suddenly turns into a 'hit' ..that's a lot of license payments.

Can you give them a DDP instead of a disc?

Jerry Tubb

• Real Full Name: Jerry Tubb
« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2012, 09:48:18 PM »

The new soundBlade HD/LE/SE does both methods as well.

On both CD masters and DDP sets.

http://www.sonicstudio.com/sonic/products/sonic_productoverview.html#SBHD

JT
Terra Nova Mastering
Celebrating 25 years of Mastering!

djwaudio

• Real Full Name: Dana J White
« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2012, 03:58:35 AM »

One standard is licensed by Philips, the other by Sony. Most plants do one or the other... there is also a per disc license

I have never heard this before, what is your source? It's been a while since I worked in a pressing plant, but unless something dramatic has changed, the compact disc audio format is outlined by the Sony red book, with CD text as an addendum.

I'm very curious about this!
Respectfully submitted,

Dana J White
Specialized Mastering
www.specializedmastering.com

caulifloweraudio

« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2012, 12:09:53 AM »

Thank you all for your insights.

Tim, the service in question has an online application that extracts audio directly from your CD master and uploads it to their server; they do not accept DDPs. The limitations are solely based on your CD drive's capabilities. They are a made-to-order service... I ordered one copy of a disc encoded with CD-TEXT by Jam just to see if it would work, was only a few bucks. Hasn't arrived yet. I'm not anticipating for it to work, but at this point I don't think my client is too concerned. CD-TEXT seems to be too much of a headache and we've decided it's not that important.

So, the Phillips method is the "correct" method? When using the drutil cdtext command in Terminal, is that reading from the lead-in area? And, is there an easy way to tell where/how an application is writing the CDTEXT? I'm curious about Wave Editor and DSP Quattro.

Greg Reierson

« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2012, 02:25:33 PM »

I have never heard this before, what is your source? It's been a while since I worked in a pressing plant, but unless something dramatic has changed, the compact disc audio format is outlined by the Sony red book, with CD text as an addendum.

This is correct and has always been the case though some of the royalties are due to expire soon. We talked about it on Dave Collin's forum a while back as well.

I was blindsided by this when I did a project for a large client. The plant wound up with a massive royalty bill. It's no big thing for indie projects of 1,000 CDs but can really add up for larger releases.

GR
Greg Reierson
Rare Form Mastering
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.07 seconds with 19 queries.