R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: studio monitor advice  (Read 2922 times)

Jason Gonzalez

• Real Full Name: Jason Gonzalez
studio monitor advice
« on: December 03, 2011, 09:55:05 PM »

Hi, folks.  I am professional musician that is looking to get into some home recording.  I hope I'm in the right forum to get some advice on how to research/buy a set of studio monitors.  Although I have a pretty discerning ear, I realize that I'm probably better starting off with some lower mid-level monitors.

I've done some of the cursory internet research in which I've read about some of manufacturers like Genelec, KRK, and Focal.  Genelec is one that keeps coming up quite a bit.  I had no idea that studio monitors could get so expensive.  Even the smallest pair of Genelecs is over $600, and that's with only a 3" driver.
This brings up my first question: what size driver should I be looking for?  I assume that a 6" driver would get me a better midrange than a smaller one.  Also, what benefits are there to getting a sub to cover the lower frequencies?

I know that my ear will be the ultimate deciding factor, but before I go out to some of the music shops we have here in Dallas I thought I'd ask to see if anyone had any tips on how to listen and what to listen for?  I honestly do consider myself an audiophile, but some of the reading I've done on studio monitors has got me a bit scared.  I don't know if some of what I've read is just people pretending to make it sound more complicated with pretentious write-ups and such, or if buying a set of studio monitors really is a more involved process than home theater/music speakers.

Any help navigating through all of the tech talk would be much appreciated.  Thanks in advance for reading this and helping out a newbie to home recording.

Fletcher

Re: studio monitor advice
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2011, 08:51:13 AM »

Monitors are an interesting thing... they can't be perfect [close - but never perfect] so you have to find tools that work for the way you need to be pushed when you're working.  If you have a tendency to mix "dull" then you need a "dull" set of monitors that will push you towards mixing "bright".  If you have a tendency to mix "bright" then you want a "bright" set of monitors that will push you away from adding too much treble [etc., etc., etc.]

The only way I've found to determine if a set of monitors works for me or not is to do some mixes on them and then take those mixes to other places to listen to them [car!!! - Hi-Fi shop, etc.] -- when you find a set that pushes you in the direction you need to be pushed you're in good shape... until then - well, you're on the hunt.

As for woofer size... 6" is about as low as I'd recommend going... dual 6 or 8" drivers is a nice thing as they're both in the same cabinet and most manufacturers will run one "full range" while they're delegate the other driver to like 80Hz and below [effectively giving you a sub-woofer in the same cabinet]... external sub-woofers cause all kinds of other timing problems that can often be an issue.

I hope this is of some assistance.

Peace
CN Fletcher

mwagener wrote on Sat, 11 September 2004 14:33
We are selling emotions, there are no emotions in a grid

"Recording engineers are an arrogant bunch
If you've spent most of your life with a few thousand dollars worth of musicians in the studio, making a decision every second and a half... and you and  they are going to have to live with it for the rest of your lives, you'll get pretty arrogant too.  It takes a certain amount of balls to do that... something around three"
Malcolm Chisholm

marcuswilson

• Real Full Name: Marcus Wilson
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2011, 04:15:53 PM »

Hello Jason,

A few comments:

-You get what you pay for.  The more expensive ones are normally better.  Spend as much as you can afford.

-All speakers all sound different and everyone 'hears' differently.  Everyone has their own opinion and it usually comes down to personal preference.  Most people get to audition very few monitor systems and often in unknown rooms or less than ideal situations. Be careful whose advice you take.

-Learn how to audition speakers.  Harman have just released their 'how to listen' training program to the public (it is not brand specific).  You will find a link to it on this website: http://seanolive.blogspot.com/
This type of training would be one of the best things you could do.  It will also help in mixing and many aspects of sound engineering.  There is also a critical listening course authored by F Alton Everest, that you may be able to get.

-You may be better off with second hand speakers.  Self powered monitors are hard to damage and a reasonable risk second hand.  If they are physically well looked after, they have most likely been well looked after in all ways.
-Don't be too concerned, get a set and get used to them, it's likely you will want something different in a few years time anyway!

rgds, M
rgds, M.

Sound engineer and skilled electronic technician.
Owned a regional sound company for 30 years.
Now work for Harman importers in New Zealand.
www.jands.co.nz
Do a bit of mastering and hire out some microphones.
www.marcuswilson.org

saint

• Producer/Engineer/Mixer
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2011, 11:26:40 PM »

You get what you DON'T pay for. Personally, I do not like the self powered monitors as a main reference for mixing. (The Advent 'Powered Partners' make an excellent 'B' System though, if you can find a pair.). They compromise both the amplifier as well as the speaker. 6" woofer should be the smallest you go... just don't put something TOO big on the console you're working on. Most important is to try several monitors in the room you will be WORKING in the most.

For the test, use the same amplifier & cables. Get a db meter (Radio shack with an analog meter is fine) and set them up in an equilateral triangle with the mix position center. Listen to all of them at the SAME volume. Do NOT go over 85 or 90db tops as you can not listen critically for hours at a time if you exceed that level. That is the level you will be mixing at the most.

Play music that you know & use the same songs. Have a friend their to help you change the various speakers out as quickly as possible. When you find something you like, commit. I like the ProAc Studio 100's. (I refuse to list to Yamamahas). your secondary system can be proletariat garbage, but do yourself (AND your ears) a favor and get something Professional. [The General Electrics & I do not agree on anything audio... they should have stuck with the washer/dryers!].

Then you can start the same dance with amplifiers, speaker interconnects, and power cables. ALL of these will put something on the sound so GET READY! I suggest you get the speakers first. Then try out several amps (not too expensive or too cheap either (the Bryston 4B is a good cheap solidly built starter). If you can get 2 separate amps, then bridge each to give you more power & speed. When you can afford it, you can get in to the esoteric amps, cables & power cables. There is NO limit except your budget when it comes to these items!

Do NOT put you console or the back of your speakers right next to a wall... you will NEVER get the bass right. Try to give yourself 5' from any from wall. Try to have equal space and similar wall treatment on the sides as well. Do NOT put 3 pairs of speakers up on a meter bridge next to one another as the enclosures all effect one another and will definitely screw with your imaging. I know a lot of guys do t and they are "used" to it, but I can not take the warped imaging or what it does to the bass with multiple monitors on the meter bridge. Put the alternate monitors in an alternate space (behind you, off to one side or the other... just make sure you can maintain that equilateral triangle (does not have to be the same measurements as it is at the console) for imaging.

If you find that you are happy in the studio, but nowhere else, then the speakers (or amps) are doing something to the overall E.Q. that is fooling you, i.e. if you are hearing, in general, MORE bass (or highs) out of the studio, then the system (a combination of the monitors, & your studio environment) is tricking you by making you THINK you have enough. There will be some trial and error, obviously, which is why it is important to play music that you are very familiar with hearing in various places (the car, earbuds, computer, etc.).

At the end of the day, it is what YOU get used to and what appeals to YOUR ear. You will learn to work with the tool over time and with various types of music. Inevitably, you will also change up from time to time. Once you really get happy though (which could take years) and find a combination you know & trust, it will be like 'going home'! Enjoy the journey!
Blue Skies!  Saint

rocksure

• Real Full Name: Tony Koretz
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2012, 08:19:13 PM »

I personally wouldn't go for less than an 8" speaker for my main monitors. It helps to have a second pair of crappy smaller speakers as well for an additional reference.
Monitors are a bit of a subjective, personal preference thing. I do like Genelecs, but like stated previously they are not cheap. I still do a lot of referencing on a pair of Event 20/20 speakers I have had for years. They aren't the world's best speakers by any means, but I am used to them and know their short comings.  But when it really counts I like to check the mixes on an old pair of Tannoy monitor gold speakers from the 70's because I know the sound of them well also. In the end choose a pair of speakers that suit you and get  to know how commercial songs that have been mixed well sound on them and go from there.
Royalty-free Music and Sound Effects
http://rocksuresoundz.com
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.032 seconds with 22 queries.