R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Mastering Engineers seemingly under attack in online forums  (Read 8294 times)

Thomas W. Bethel

• Real Full Name: Thomas W. Bethel
  • When only the best will do.
Mastering Engineers seemingly under attack in online forums
« on: December 14, 2011, 08:30:35 AM »

It would seem from reading the popular forums on the net that people are starting to be upset in general with mastering engineers. They make comments like "why do I need mastering?" or "I can do a better job mastering than a mastering engineer" or "I sent my stuff out to a pro mastering engineer and it came back sounding really really bad, all smashed and distorted". What is going on? Their seems to be a growing opinion among a lot of musicians that mastering is no longer needed and that mastering engineers ruin music by over processing it. I know no one here does that but...I can't help but wonder why all this angst against someone who is basically trying to help the artist realize their dreams? Is this opinion/feeling due to the fact that there are so many more "fly by night" mastering places or that more and more mastering is done "over the web" with the artist not in attendance. Or is it just people being people and bitching about most anything?

Just wondering???
Thomas W. Bethel
Managing Director
Acoustik Musik, Ltd.
http://www.acoustikmusik.com/

Doing what you love is freedom.
Loving what you do is happiness.

Celebrating 29 years in business in 2024

When only the best will do...

Gold

Re: Mastering Engineers seemingly under attack in online forums
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2011, 10:46:57 AM »

Just not wondering.
Paul Gold
Salt Mastering

Cass Anawaty

« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2011, 11:22:42 AM »

This is what my post several years ago was about:

http://recforums.prosoundweb.com/index.php/mv/msg/22612/0/0/4853/

I think you said I was making a "mountain out of a molehill", or something to that effect, lol.
Cass Anawaty, Mastering Engineer
www.sunbreakmusic.com

PBM

« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2011, 11:32:08 AM »

Just not wondering.

ditto - it may be on the forums but it's not in vast stretches of the music world. The key to happiness might be to read less forums Tom.

Philosophers Barn Mastering
www.phibarnmastering.co.uk

MatteskyK

• Real Full Name: Kevin Mattesky
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2011, 01:29:24 PM »

I believe the overabundance of trolls on certain forums can make it seem as though mastering engineers are under attack, but I doubt this is the case.  In the musician circles I run in, we all find mastering a necessary step in releasing an album as a finished piece.  In general it seems that the majority of complaints come from the following:

1.  Those with an axe to grind, or seeking online entertainment.  This would be your standard troll, alongside a person who has little humility.  In terms of forums, blogs, and writings of the editorial persuasion, the internet seems to put out twice the amount of negativity as it does positivity. 

2.  Those seeking quantity over quality.  Generally the "bargain hunters" who have not planned a proper budget and pick the lowest price, as opposed to the Mastering Engineer who puts out the best work.

3.  The ill-informed.  This could be someone who has little to no experience in the recording world.  A person who has scratched the surface of recording, but does not care to educate themselves.  Seeking easy answers, they've regurgitated the opinions of the people from situation #1.  On the positive side, these people will either A. Lose interest or B. Grow as an individual within this industry and shed their biased glasses in exchange for a better understanding of record production. 

4.  Finally, I would be delusional to think that there is not a sub-group of individuals who have earnestly been let down and take this disappointment or resentment to the forums.  In any case, I would hope these individuals will use a different engineer next time and gain a better experience. 

feel free to add on.     
Kevin Mattesky

Greg Reierson

« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2011, 02:21:55 PM »

Aw, c'mon... They're amusing. It's fun to watch their logic implode without them even noticing. Besides, they weren't ever going to be mastering clients anyway. Let 'em wear themselves out.

GR
Greg Reierson
Rare Form Mastering

Thomas W. Bethel

• Real Full Name: Thomas W. Bethel
  • When only the best will do.
« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2011, 02:43:39 PM »

This is what my post several years ago was about:

http://recforums.prosoundweb.com/index.php/mv/msg/22612/0/0/4853/

I think you said I was making a "mountain out of a molehill", or something to that effect, lol.

The original article is no longer available so I am not sure if I read it or not. I probably did as I tend to read articles when someone points me to a web article.

Sorry if I rained on your parade.

Thomas W. Bethel
Managing Director
Acoustik Musik, Ltd.
http://www.acoustikmusik.com/

Doing what you love is freedom.
Loving what you do is happiness.

Celebrating 29 years in business in 2024

When only the best will do...

Apostolos Siopis

« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2011, 02:55:22 PM »

It would seem from reading the popular forums on the net that people are starting to be upset in general with mastering engineers.

I think I 've read a few of the threads you are reffering to .
The funny thing is that, in the real world , the consensus is the exact opposite...
I mean, every time I discuss this subject with a producer/musician/mixing engineer (who respects themselves and their work) we conclude that outsourcing mastering to a dedicated engineer with the right tools for the job (ears, room, speakers, hardware and software etc.), is an absolute necessity.

When I found out that some of the audio "gurus" in Greek music forums are actually supermarket employees or taxi drivers or doctors or anything but serious music producers, engineers, etc. I realised that their opinion is probably driven by their bitterness for their lack of cojones.

Aesop's fable about the fox and the grapes, is perfect for this situation (although written a few thousand years ago):
Driven by hunger, a fox tried to reach some grapes hanging high on the vine. Although she leaped with all her strength, she couldn't manage to reach the grapes. As she went away, the fox remarked, 'Oh, you aren't even ripe yet! I don't need any sour grapes.'
People who speak disparagingly of things that they cannot attain would do well to apply this instructive little story to their own lives.
taken from :http://mythfolklore.net/aesopica/oxford/255.htm

I would advice you to choose not to read (or read, be amused by and ignore) the trolls.

Apostolos Siopis - www.odeon-mastering.com

Apostolos Siopis

« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2011, 03:09:11 PM »

4.  Finally, I would be delusional to think that their is not a sub-group of individuals who have earnestly been let down and take this disappointment or resentment to the forums.  In any case, I would hope these individuals will use a different engineer next time and gain a better experience. 

+1
This is also a very good point ...
Apostolos Siopis - www.odeon-mastering.com

Mastertone

« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2011, 03:24:05 PM »

Gearslutz is gearslutz...

I find it hard to believe this is the case as i see a large increase in new and returning customers.
Jonas Ekstrom
Mastertone Mastering
www.mastertone.se

Cass Anawaty

« Reply #10 on: December 14, 2011, 03:56:39 PM »

The original article is no longer available so I am not sure if I read it or not. I probably did as I tend to read articles when someone points me to a web article.

Sorry if I rained on your parade.
I haven't been the same since.
Cass Anawaty, Mastering Engineer
www.sunbreakmusic.com

Hermetech Mastering

• Real Full Name: Gregg Janman
« Reply #11 on: December 14, 2011, 04:56:16 PM »

Yeah I wouldn't worry about GS. It CAN be a good resource if you use the search function, but on a day to day basis seems to have been taken over by spotty inexperienced teenage boys with too much testosterone. Couple that with the fact that you are not really held accountable for your actions on the internet, and all hell breaks loose. What happened to honour, chivalry and mutual respect? ;)

DOMC

• Real Full Name: Dominic McGlinn
  • DOMC Mastering
« Reply #12 on: December 15, 2011, 04:01:39 AM »

I made something sound really really bad, all smashed and distorted last week.  maybe it was me.... sorry about that
Domc

Mastering Engineer
Dominic McGlinn B.Mus.T. (Hons)

Margate, QLD
+61421961641

www.domc.com.au
[email protected]

Jerry Tubb

• Real Full Name: Jerry Tubb
« Reply #13 on: December 15, 2011, 11:29:44 AM »

Let it roll off, like water off a duck's back.

and water seeks it's own level.

It's just a couple of trolls that specialize in arguments.

All good producers are hep to the value of real mastering.

I did post rebuttal to the troll's stance, in case someone who doesn't know any better runs across the thread.

'nuff said

Cheers, JT
Terra Nova Mastering
Celebrating 25 years of Mastering!

Jerry Tubb

• Real Full Name: Jerry Tubb
« Reply #14 on: December 15, 2011, 11:33:46 AM »

I haven't been the same since.

You are a rascal and a scoundrel sir ;-)

(just kidding)

Best, JT
Terra Nova Mastering
Celebrating 25 years of Mastering!
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.058 seconds with 22 queries.