R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Mystery problem with Patchbay  (Read 2819 times)

MonkeyBass

• Real Full Name: Rick Thompson
Mystery problem with Patchbay
« on: December 12, 2011, 02:14:46 PM »

I did a search and couldn't find an answer to this one. And this is my second post in this forum ever so if I've made some newbie mistakes pleas go easy on me.

A friend recently gave me a PB-40 Furman patchbay. It worked fine until recently. The TRS patch snake works when not plugged into the patchbay but I get no signal when it's plugged in. I get signal out but not in.

I tested all the cables and it all works. The gear works when the patchbay isn't in the chain. So I know it's somewhere within the bay.

For the record, I'm not stranger to patchbays. I've built several TT bays so I like to think I know what I'm doing. This Furman, though, is all on cards so I'm not too sure I should get in there and mess around.

Any thoughts or ideas as to what the problem may be?

Fletcher

Re: Mystery problem with Patchbay
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2011, 10:47:58 AM »

Some of those things have switches to apply normalling... do you know if yours has those?
CN Fletcher

mwagener wrote on Sat, 11 September 2004 14:33
We are selling emotions, there are no emotions in a grid

"Recording engineers are an arrogant bunch
If you've spent most of your life with a few thousand dollars worth of musicians in the studio, making a decision every second and a half... and you and  they are going to have to live with it for the rest of your lives, you'll get pretty arrogant too.  It takes a certain amount of balls to do that... something around three"
Malcolm Chisholm

MonkeyBass

« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2011, 11:06:41 AM »

No switches. It's half normalled by default.

Fletcher

« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2011, 02:37:54 PM »

Whew - that's spooky... none of the boards are loose?  It seems odd that it worked and then it stopped universally... one would think that kind of catastrophic failure wouldn't be too difficult to track down.  You mentioned that its 1/2 normalled by default... any chance someone could be screwing with you and wired it upside down?  [its the kind of evil prank I might play... hence why I thought of it].

Peace
CN Fletcher

If you've spent most of your life with a few thousand dollars worth of musicians in the studio, making a decision every second and a half... and you and  they are going to have to live with it for the rest of your lives, you'll get pretty arrogant too.  It takes a certain amount of balls to do that... something around three"
Malcolm Chisholm

MonkeyBass

« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2011, 04:00:36 PM »

HAHA... Well it's in my home studio so I'm the only one that touches the bay. So I don't think sabotage is the answer.

So, it's a mystery to you too eh? Yeah, it worked, all 8 inputs, now... nothing. But works when I bypass the bay. I just can't imagine 8 channels universally going out.

By the way 9-20 on the bay work like a champ.

Could it be my cable tester for my TRS snake would be giving me false information? I have not actually tried audio through every TRS connection. Again though... how could the snake universally fail?

Fletcher

« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2011, 08:58:40 AM »

As a new tid bit of information about the bay seems to leak out in every post - check to see if the bay is made from multiple boards - and how the patchpoints are connected to the DB-25 connectors... it could be something as simple as a ribbon cable not being seated properly.

Peace
CN Fletcher

Malcolm Chisholm

MonkeyBass

« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2011, 11:44:26 AM »

Yeah sorry for new information creeping in every time.

I'll open it up and see what it looks like.

Thanks for your help.

Fletcher

« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2011, 02:32:14 PM »

Not a problem... please, lemme know how it goes!!

Peace
CN Fletcher

Malcolm Chisholm

MonkeyBass

« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2011, 11:29:17 PM »

Well it's what I sorta figure... User error.

Turns out I had how the half-normalling was configured flipped in my mind. So I just switched it all around and it works fine. I must have had something plugged into the bay all the time to break the normal before.

So... yeah, I'm an idiot.

Just goes to show you, no matter how much you think you know, you can still make a rookie mistake.

Fletcher

« Reply #9 on: December 15, 2011, 11:23:18 AM »

The important part is that its working now... and that you worked your way through the problem.  If nothing else, you've improved your trouble shooting skills!!

Peace
CN Fletcher

Malcolm Chisholm
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.039 seconds with 22 queries.