R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Test for damaged mic cable?  (Read 3600 times)

Mark Lemaire

• Real Full Name: Mark Lemaire
Test for damaged mic cable?
« on: November 21, 2011, 01:25:34 PM »

There have been many discussions here about long mic cables picking up RF, etc. I do most of my recording  as an "on location" in classical engineer. MIC cables are 100-130 foot lengths on reels and are run from the stage to my CR. I've had no problems with RF.

The other night a thing that I have tried to avoid at all costs finally occurred- and the overzealous stage crew rolled a loaded dolly (with hard 4" wheels) across my cables- twice! I am not sure if they damaged the cables, or if they are OK. Obviously I can check for continuity and the signal passing thru, but I am more concerned about possible damage to the shielding.

Is there at test that I can try at home? I don't want to find out at my next orchestral gig that the cables are now picking up extra hiss or radio.

klaus

Re: Test for damaged mic cable?
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2011, 01:35:48 PM »

You can move a strong AC or magnetic field all across the stretched-out cable, as you monitor for noise.

If the shield was damaged (not SEVERED-you can test THAT possibility easily with a continuity test- from connector end to connector end, after removing the shield terminations from the ground), you would pick up more RF and other noise at the cable section under suspicion.
Klaus Heyne
German Masterworks®
www.GermanMasterworks.com

Mark Lemaire

• Real Full Name: Mark Lemaire
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2011, 04:59:23 PM »

Good idea! Suggestion of a household item that might have a strong magnetic field? I have a Han-d-mag sitting around here - wave it over the suspected area?

klaus

« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2011, 05:39:34 PM »

A HandiMag is a good start.

You can also move the cable over one of those 120-12V converter boxes commonly used with halogen 12V lighting. The converter usually comes as a wall wart:  2 prongs for 120V AC and a small wire or female plug on the other side, for the 12V Halogen fixture.
That is what I usually use when I suspect a bad shield.
Klaus Heyne
German Masterworks®
www.GermanMasterworks.com
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.075 seconds with 23 queries.