R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: UNDERSTANDING AND USING COMPRESSORS  (Read 9288 times)

rocksure

• Real Full Name: Tony Koretz
Re: UNDERSTANDING AND USING COMPRESSORS
« Reply #15 on: April 10, 2012, 07:43:32 AM »

Indeed... just having the TV on in the control room is an issue in my world!!  I really like my control room as dark as possible because as the eyes shut down, the ears open up.

Peace

Yeah it's amazing how distracting watching waveforms or LED's can be sometimes. I often find myself deliberately not staring at the screen when mixing, at least for  afew minutes so that I am focused just on listening.
Royalty-free Music and Sound Effects
http://rocksuresoundz.com

Patrick Tracy

Re: UNDERSTANDING AND USING COMPRESSORS
« Reply #16 on: May 08, 2012, 06:38:11 PM »

I hope reading it will help people with grasping the concepts of threshold, attack, release etc.

It looks like a helpful starting point, but it's technically incorrect in the way it describes attack and release.

In most cases attack and release simply control how fast gain is changed. They are only indirectly related to threshold crossings. Once the signal rises above the threshold the gain calculator uses the ratio and knee settings to produce a target gain value, the attack and release settings control how fast the target gain value changes and that value is sent on to the gain controller (see Rane Note 155). They affect the sound any time the gain calculator's target gain value changes, regardless of threshold crossings.

You can demonstrate this easily with an amplitude modulated signal and a compressor with a threshold below the quietest part of the signal so there are no threshold crossings, like this:

Uncompressed:

Compressed:

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.088 seconds with 19 queries.