R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Drawmer DS-201 gate side chain audio quality  (Read 8372 times)

Michael Loomis

Drawmer DS-201 gate side chain audio quality
« on: February 26, 2011, 02:50:27 AM »

I'm considering the purchase of one of these units, but I'm curious to know how good the audio quality of the side chain is.  I realize this is not an really an issue when the side chain is used in the normal way because it is only affecting the detector circuit. However, when using the "key listen" feature, the high and low pass filters on the side chain in this unit could be used on actual audio -- if the quality is up to snuff.

Has anyone used the side chain filters in this way?  If so, do you think the audio was compromised in any way?

Having two channels of gate/expander would be cool enough, but being able to use the filters independently would just be icing on the cake.

Thanks for your comments,

Michael

Jim Williams

Re: Drawmer DS-201 gate side chain audio quality
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2011, 11:20:31 AM »

TL072 opamps and small low quality electrolytic capacitors = the classic "English Sound".

Changing those out will help as will changing out the filter caps.

I use a Aphex 612 gate as it's much more capable (it's an expander) and the side chain filters are modified to be very clear as I use them as filters alone without the gate.
Jim Williams
Audio Upgrades

ssltech

« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2011, 08:06:11 PM »

I've used the side chain listen in studios which don't have swept Hi-pass and low-pass filters in the console. -And the nonsense about what type of cap or what type of op-amp it uses has never even speculated upon the merest possibility of crossing my mind.

And it sounded just fine.

Of course.

-I mean... -If you're in a studio where there are no swept HP/LP filters, the brand of op-amp is your least concern, and probably about as relevant as the color of the carpet.

Don't worry. Be happy.

Keith
MDM (maxdimario) wrote on Fri, 16 November 2007 21:36

I have the feeling that I have more experience in my little finger than you do in your whole body about audio electronics..

Fletcher

« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2011, 10:12:49 PM »

What Keith said... and let me add that if you're using the filter section you're probably not all that interested in "tippy top" or "thundering bottom" [hence why you're employing the filter set].

For what you're talking about - the "side chain listen" function sounds as good as the unit - except you have access to the filter set.  The input and output circuits within the unit are the same as the "regular" signal path except you have access to hearing what the filters do in the circuit.
CN Fletcher

mwagener wrote on Sat, 11 September 2004 14:33
We are selling emotions, there are no emotions in a grid

"Recording engineers are an arrogant bunch.  
If you've spent most of your life with a few thousand dollars worth of musicians in the studio, making a decision every second and a half... and you and  they are going to have to live with it for the rest of your lives, you'll get pretty arrogant too.  It takes a certain amount of balls to do that... something around three"
Malcolm Chisholm

Michael Loomis

« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2011, 11:14:58 PM »

Thanks for the feedback.

Michael
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.17 seconds with 18 queries.