R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: EMI TG 12413 on ebay, and Thoughts On Vintage Limiting  (Read 11883 times)

bigaudioblowhard

EMI TG 12413 on ebay, and Thoughts On Vintage Limiting
« on: February 10, 2011, 06:34:08 PM »

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=12068 0190730&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT#ht_1150wt_1085

(I've edited original post, and calmed down a bit)

Anyone heard a real TG 12413?  What does it sound like? I'm guessing it was designed to emulate'ish a Fairchild, the in-house competition for limiting, (fast A/R).

I listened to three 670-like things at AES, which I liked, something like the SR-71 I find also intriguing, someday, someday.

Sadly, this EMI will not be mine, for lack of the usual. ($)

bab

Ben F

Re: EMI TG 12413 on ebay, and Thoughts On Vintage Limiting
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2011, 10:00:19 PM »

King Willy could chime in here as he owns a TG, I'm only going from memory. I always found them to be a bit slow on the TG console and never really used them. I think that there are much better alternatives out there these days.

bigaudioblowhard

« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2011, 10:58:23 PM »

ah, interesting, so not so fast in/out, Fairchild like?  

bab

mcsnare

« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2011, 08:01:55 PM »

Mark, just to make you feel a little better, I don't think I'd lust after those in a modern mastering context. I've used them many times, actually 6 different units in 2 different studios and while they were amazing to really smash something in a recording or mix situation, not really something I'd reach for on a regular basis for mastering. The compressor setting has too slow a release or too gradual a knee or something that I didn't find useful. The limit setting is fantastic to crush a room mic or spank a vocal or bass guitar track, but too extreme and grabby for mastering. Then again never having tried them for mastering a pair could be amazing on the all too rare very dynamic, little or no use of compression, rock mix.
I haven't compared a Chandler version side by side, but I'd bet it's pretty close. Maybe try one of those babies and see for your self?

Dave

bigaudioblowhard

« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2011, 02:45:04 PM »

Thanks Dave, I thought this was a mastering comp designed to compete with something like a 660/670 with fast A/R's? Not sure why I thought so, thought I read it somewhere. Just checked in RTB book, and its not listed there. So I guess we can assume it wasn't used on the Abbey Road album, otherwise it should've ended up in the book.  I think I'm gonna rent or demo the plugin and goof around with it to make sure. I think I can safely say, "I'm over it now".

Auction just closed at $7600.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=12068 0190730&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

bab

SafeandSound

« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2011, 01:07:41 PM »

I have often been intrigued by the TG emulations from Abbey Road but never had a chance to get round to it, not to mention buying an Ilok. One day.

Sorry if this was strictly the original gear.
UK's No.1 Online Mastering studio, free previews :

http://www.masteringmastering.co.uk/
online mastering

bigaudioblowhard

« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2011, 02:05:09 PM »

SafeandSound wrote on Wed, 16 February 2011 11:07

I have often been intrigued by the TG emulations from Abbey Road but never had a chance to get round to it, not to mention buying an Ilok. One day.

Sorry if this was strictly the original gear.

No problem, this thread is played, I'm taking Dave's word for it.

An ilok is a useful tool. You can rent a fully operational plug from the Digi site for about $10 for 2 or 3 days, or 10 days or so for a little more. The temporary license will simply expire. Download, install right there, use Paypal, very convenient.

Not long ago a guy brought in pre built stem sessions, files bounced with all his plugs at home. He forgot to bounce a couple of tracks with a weird plugin called Tel-Ray. So rather than drive home and back, a return 40 mile trip, we jumped on the Digi site and rented the plugin as outlined above, back to work in a few minutes, I never even left my chair.

bab

mcsnare

« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2011, 03:42:35 PM »

I use the TG limiter plugin all the time in mixing, but I'd try the real Chandler hardware version for mastering. I tried the Chandler Zener limiter a few years ago. My buddy had one and I wanted to see what the deal was. It adds a very appealing harmonic richness to whatever passes through it, but as a  comp/limiter it was too heavy handed for everyday mastering. My conclusion was it's too pricey as a vibe box. YMMV.

Dave

bigaudioblowhard

« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2011, 09:41:32 PM »

Just got the demo and gave er a quick spin. 2005 Version, Set lightly on Limit, sounds pretty cool on the country'ish track I'm running it on. Brings the background forward nicely.

hmmm, bab

William Bowden

« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2011, 06:30:11 PM »

Hello there, I've only just seen this post. I echo what the others have said, whilst I don't mind the strange and over the top behaviour of the TG limiters as an effect, I have used them very rarely in mastering. They are more of a kind of 'let's try something weird' kinda box. Add to the fact that they are very level sensitive and I wouldn't recommend them in a mastering context.

Having said all that, on the few times I needed something unusual they have worked quite well, and they sound nothing like a Fairchild in any way. They really can give you a Ringo Starr aspect on drums however, and in a tracking situation they would be cool to have as an option. The TG's strength though really lies in the EQ and the overall tone of the desk. Sometimes the VAL unit is a great effect as well, and driving the output of the High Level unit can be cool, in fact driving the whole desk can be cool.

The King
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.031 seconds with 22 queries.