R/E/P > Brad Blackwood

EMI TG 12413 on ebay, and Thoughts On Vintage Limiting

(1/2) > >>

bigaudioblowhard:
   http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=12068 0190730&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT#ht_1150wt_1085

(I've edited original post, and calmed down a bit)

Anyone heard a real TG 12413?  What does it sound like? I'm guessing it was designed to emulate'ish a Fairchild, the in-house competition for limiting, (fast A/R).

I listened to three 670-like things at AES, which I liked, something like the SR-71 I find also intriguing, someday, someday.

Sadly, this EMI will not be mine, for lack of the usual. ($)

bab

Ben F:
King Willy could chime in here as he owns a TG, I'm only going from memory. I always found them to be a bit slow on the TG console and never really used them. I think that there are much better alternatives out there these days.

bigaudioblowhard:
ah, interesting, so not so fast in/out, Fairchild like?  

bab

mcsnare:
Mark, just to make you feel a little better, I don't think I'd lust after those in a modern mastering context. I've used them many times, actually 6 different units in 2 different studios and while they were amazing to really smash something in a recording or mix situation, not really something I'd reach for on a regular basis for mastering. The compressor setting has too slow a release or too gradual a knee or something that I didn't find useful. The limit setting is fantastic to crush a room mic or spank a vocal or bass guitar track, but too extreme and grabby for mastering. Then again never having tried them for mastering a pair could be amazing on the all too rare very dynamic, little or no use of compression, rock mix.
I haven't compared a Chandler version side by side, but I'd bet it's pretty close. Maybe try one of those babies and see for your self?

Dave

bigaudioblowhard:
Thanks Dave, I thought this was a mastering comp designed to compete with something like a 660/670 with fast A/R's? Not sure why I thought so, thought I read it somewhere. Just checked in RTB book, and its not listed there. So I guess we can assume it wasn't used on the Abbey Road album, otherwise it should've ended up in the book.  I think I'm gonna rent or demo the plugin and goof around with it to make sure. I think I can safely say, "I'm over it now".

Auction just closed at $7600.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=12068 0190730&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

bab

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version