R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7   Go Down

Author Topic: School me on the latest-greatest plugins...  (Read 34036 times)

bblackwood

Re: School me on the latest-greatest plugins...
« Reply #30 on: February 12, 2011, 08:01:42 AM »

aivoryuk wrote on Sat, 12 February 2011 06:16

I guess Brad it depends what you are after.

You're not renowned for being a colour guy (unless things have changed), so I would probably steer clear of most of the emulations that are around.

Yah, that's not changed - just interested in seeing what everyone is using. So far I have several things I want to check out that I'm not sure I would have found without asking so this thread has been very useful.

Quote:

Hope this helps

Very much so, thanks!
Brad Blackwood
euphonic masters

Patrik T

« Reply #31 on: February 12, 2011, 08:15:26 AM »

subvertbeats wrote on Sat, 12 February 2011 13:54

Still using BX-Digital v2 for most corrective work ITB before going out to the chain,

I have completely abandoned this philosophy the better the analog side have grown. I get a feeling that people who commonly correct before an analog chain have analog gear that maybe ain't too suited for the purpose of mastering.

Brad, I would happily observe your observations with whatever you trial-run later on.

Best Regards
Patrik

24-96 Mastering

« Reply #32 on: February 12, 2011, 09:44:20 AM »

Patrik T wrote on Sat, 12 February 2011 14:15

subvertbeats wrote on Sat, 12 February 2011 13:54

Still using BX-Digital v2 for most corrective work ITB before going out to the chain,

I have completely abandoned this philosophy the better the analog side have grown. I get a feeling that people who commonly correct before an analog chain have analog gear that maybe ain't too suited for the purpose of mastering.

My analog gear must not be suited for the purpose of mastering then...

or I prefer to not limit myself by following any 'philosophy' and just use whatever is needed... ;)
24-96 Mastering
CD - SACD - DVD

Greg Reierson

« Reply #33 on: February 12, 2011, 10:09:42 AM »

Patrik T wrote on Sat, 12 February 2011 07:15

I get a feeling that people who commonly correct before an analog chain have analog gear that maybe ain't too suited for the purpose of mastering.

Fixing problems ITB before hitting the analog chain is normal here. My best HP/LP/notch filter, de-esser, de-noiser, de-clicker, etc. are all plugs.

GR

Patrik T

« Reply #34 on: February 12, 2011, 10:13:33 AM »

24-96 Mastering wrote on Sat, 12 February 2011 15:44

or I prefer to not limit myself by following any 'philosophy' and just use whatever is needed... Wink

Just realized my comments could come across as offensive and that was not the intention. Let's rephrase:

If someone corrects things prior to an analog chain, is that to make the source fit the analog chain better or is it for the sake of the source? How can one tell, really?

In my opinion, that kind of pre-processing should without doubts do only good to the source even if you took the analog chain away. Otherwise the ME is curing himself for what he's got available or what he's doing. Is that really mastering client audio?

Again: not trying to stir things up, but this I do find extremely interesting. And sorry if it's OT.

Best Regards
Patrik

Jerry Tubb

« Reply #35 on: February 12, 2011, 10:46:24 AM »

Patrik T wrote on Sat, 12 February 2011 09:13

24-96 Mastering wrote on Sat, 12 February 2011 15:44

or I prefer to not limit myself by following any 'philosophy' and just use whatever is needed... Wink

Just realized my comments could come across as offensive and that was not the intention. Let's rephrase:

If someone corrects things prior to an analog chain, is that to make the source fit the analog chain better or is it for the sake of the source? How can one tell, really?

In my opinion, that kind of pre-processing should without doubts do only good to the source if you took the analog chain away. Otherwise the ME is curing himself for what he's got available or what he's doing. Is that really mastering client audio?

Again: not trying to stir things up, but this I do find extremely interesting. And sorry if it's OT.

Best Regards
Patrik

Hey Patrik, I think your comment is out to lunch....

It's actually Both, for the sake of the source and to fit the analog path, all for the greater good of the project.

I often do a fair amount of digital adjustment to mixes before I hit my analog chain, why not(?) they're tools to be used in their most effective place.

My Z-Sys EQ gets tons of work just before the analog path. Level adjustments, corrective EQ, occasional M/S tweaks. Could easily use the Flux EQ itb on the source for the same purpose.

Often use the Sonnox SuprEsser for de-essing on the source material, perhaps even a dash of CS Phoenix for some color, etc...

Then optimized, passing thru the analog chain can be even sweeter.

JT
Terra Nova Mastering
Celebrating 20 years of Mastering!

Macc

« Reply #36 on: February 12, 2011, 11:22:25 AM »

Jerry Tubb wrote on Sat, 12 February 2011 15:46

Hey Patrik, I think your comment is out to lunch....

It's actually Both, for the sake of the source and to fit the analog path, all for the greater good of the project.

Nicely put... both bits Very Happy

BTW - thanks also for the dB-S De-esser recommendation, going to give that a go too Smile

EDIT: Just realised it is the same dB responsible for the legendary dB Pro-Comp! Man, that takes me back. Happy memories.
Bob Macciochi

www.scmastering.com

24-96 Mastering

« Reply #37 on: February 12, 2011, 12:31:07 PM »

Patrik T wrote on Sat, 12 February 2011 16:13

Just realized my comments could come across as offensive and that was not the intention.

No offense taken!

Quote:

Let's rephrase:

In my opinion, that kind of pre-processing should without doubts do only good to the source even if you took the analog chain away. Otherwise the ME is curing himself for what he's got available or what he's doing. Is that really mastering client audio?

Is anyone's basic chain so colouring by default that they need to actively compensate for it? I hope not. I certainly wouldn't assume that to be the case.

Maybe you understood the term "corrective EQing" to mean some sort of 'system EQ'?

Anyway, If I engage a processor, it's because it does what I want it to do, with the source in mind. Whether that processor is analog, digital, pre or post the loop, whatever.

I personally often use digital EQ or corrective processors because they provide functionality that the analog counterparts simply don't have. Most often that'll be pre the analog chain simply because then it sits before compression. But not to somehow "pre-compensate the analog chain".
24-96 Mastering
CD - SACD - DVD

masterhse

« Reply #38 on: February 12, 2011, 12:48:14 PM »

Also in some cases automating a process (even something as simple as gain to reduce/increase dynamics) before the analog chain is more easily done digitally.
Tom Volpicelli
The Mastering House Inc.
CD Mastering and Media Production Services

tweakman

« Reply #39 on: February 12, 2011, 01:30:11 PM »

- Algorithmix Red/Blue EQs pre DA
(I only wish they could do M/S)
I've tried many others which didn't like. One that's very good and dirt cheap is EQuality by DMG.  Less than 10 time the price of the Algos.

-Voxengo Elephant 3.xx (complicated but sounds good)

-Amuniton (Samplitude Pro/Seqoia 10)
Very compicated.. but once you get around you can get a great sound out of it.
I recently had a difficult project and had to try different limiters. I hadn't used Amunition much and I was very surprised with the result. I only used the limiter/clip part and not the 2 compressors. Also had to tweak the extended preferences tab to fine tune the response.

- Waves Linear Multi Band  - for problem mixes used either in compression or expander mode..

On good mixes I mostly use the analog chain..
On Really bad mixes . . . whatever it takes . . .

zenmastering

« Reply #40 on: February 12, 2011, 06:52:22 PM »

tweakman wrote on Sat, 12 February 2011 10:30

The Algo plug-ins come with three 'helper' plug-ins that are for this purpose: 'LR to MS' 'Gain' and 'MS to LR'. Just strap them around the dual-mono version of the Algo plug and you're off to the races.

I also like Elephant as a limiter, but usually for more aggressive or finishing up 'must be LOUD' projects. I prefer the Flux 'Pure Limiter II' for most things, as it seems to create the least amount of tonal change of any limiter plug-in that I have tried. FWIW, I'm not a fan of the Xenon limiter at all.

For some interesting dynamic-control uses, the Flux Solera can be really good. You can zoom in on a portion of the dynamic curve and apply compression/expansion to just that range. Sorta like the 'Ambience' function on the DBX Quantum or DXP on the TC 6000.

Graemme
Zen Mastering
Vancouver, Canada
+1.604.874.9096
info AT zenmastering DOT net

"Man is the only animal that blushes -- or needs to."
- Mark Twain

Peter Beckmann

« Reply #41 on: February 12, 2011, 07:22:50 PM »

Greg Reierson wrote on Sat, 12 February 2011 15:09

Fixing problems ITB before hitting the analog chain is normal here. My best HP/LP/notch filter, de-esser, de-noiser, de-clicker, etc. are all plugs.

GR

Exactly the same here. If there's something that needs fixing with a digital tool, it gets done ITB before the analogue loop.

The only  plugins to add to the list others have mentioned:
As well as Sonnox I occasionally use the Massey De-Esser, and I'm still using the MDW Massenburg eq, though I'm keen now to try Epure. I often use the Massenburg in M/S and I use Massey tools for MS encode/decoding

Peter
Peter Beckmann
Technologyworks
http://www.technologyworks.co.uk

tweakman

« Reply #42 on: February 12, 2011, 11:53:06 PM »

zenmastering wrote on Sat, 12 February 2011 23:52

tweakman wrote on Sat, 12 February 2011 10:30

The Algo plug-ins come with three 'helper' plug-ins that are for this purpose: 'LR to MS' 'Gain' and 'MS to LR'. Just strap them around the dual-mono version of the Algo plug and you're off to the races.

You're right. Thanks for the tip.
I think those "helper" plugs are DirectX only and I've used them in VST since the beginning.
Does anyone know  if there are drawbacks using DirectX ?

cheers

d101

« Reply #43 on: February 13, 2011, 02:32:58 AM »

Very effective plug-in is the free SonicEQ.

Jerry Tubb

« Reply #44 on: February 13, 2011, 11:00:19 AM »

d101 wrote on Sun, 13 February 2011 01:32

Very effective plug-in is the free SonicEQ.

Yes it is, we've got it on both PTHD and Sonic rigs.

Love that groovy blue color as well.

JT
Terra Nova Mastering
Celebrating 20 years of Mastering!
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.08 seconds with 20 queries.