R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7   Go Down

Author Topic: School me on the latest-greatest plugins...  (Read 34020 times)

Ed Littman

Re: School me on the latest-greatest plugins...
« Reply #15 on: February 10, 2011, 10:39:07 AM »

Hey Brad,
I'm glad you didn't phrase the thread title. "Whats the best mastering plugin" that would be ironic  Laughing

Although not new I've been happy for a while with the

Sonnex Limiter(Note: ads .5db of gain even when the enhance is at 0%)  

Sonnex Transmod (helps retain the snare on loud mixes)

Algorithmix red eq. transparent

Spitfish. fee & easy (sometimes glitchy & limits the output by almost a quarter db) But sounds good Very Happy  

Very rarely for unruly vocal resonances I'll use the
Waves LPMB (multiband)

Thats about all the plugs I use.

Ed

MASSIVE Mastering

« Reply #16 on: February 10, 2011, 12:08:38 PM »

Quote:

As a side benefit the plugins you get with Seq 11 are pretty rad.

Gotta say (assuming the plugs are basically the same upgrades in Samp Pro), they just keep getting better and better.  I hardly touch the UAD anymore.  I've got a few "dig me out of a ditch" plugs - SpitFish - along with Voxengo's Soniformer (holy crap, you want a "I can actually make this mix work" plug, you have to try Soniformer), a few things here and there.  Even the new Restoration bundle is fantastic (almost stopped using RX also).  That new EQ (EQ116) should be the stock channel/object EQ...  

I'm tossing around the idea of the new Slate plugs though...  Some trusted ears have been impressed and I've heard some fairly impressive work come out of them.  
John Scrip
Massive Mastering - Chicago (Schaumburg / Hoffman Est.), IL - USA

OTR-jkl

« Reply #17 on: February 10, 2011, 12:46:06 PM »

I've been using PSP Xenon for quite some time - but less and less as I get more and more into analog processing!! Good limiter IMO.

I've recently been testing the FabFilter EQ. First impression is that it is a pretty smooth EQ. I'll be testing their Comp & Limiter as well.

I've been on Samp v9 Pro for a while but just upgraded to v11 Pro. I encourage you to upgrade also, Brad. I'm liking v11 more than v9 for mostly functionality reasons plus it seems to be quite stable in Win7.
J Lowes · OTR Mastering
Professional Audio Production for Life
www.ShoutLife.com/OTRMastering

biigniick

« Reply #18 on: February 10, 2011, 11:10:19 PM »

+1 again for the PSP Xenon  Smile  it's all but replaced the hardware L2. . . i auditioned several limiters on my way to purchasing the Xenon and i liked it the best

Jerry Tubb wrote on Thu, 10 February 2011 08:38

Flux Epure II

+1 for the Flux Epure II   Cool  my go to digital eq (with cool and easy MS configuration inside the plug)

- nick

Dave Davis

« Reply #19 on: February 11, 2011, 08:24:55 AM »

I'm with the crowd generally... PSP Xenon has replaces Waves L1/2/3 software, and we long ago sold off the L2 hardware. No contest. I have Ozone 4, which is a good limiter for the things Xenon isn't so hot at, and offers multiband capability. I've found Vintage Warmer 2 to be a very useful multiband loudness tool, in small doses ahead of the main program limiter, in fat mode, for a little extra gas.

I dig PHP mastercomp, and MH Channelstrip comp, but more often use MIOcomp (not quite plug in since you need an MIO to run it).

EQ wise, I still use the old SonicStudio EQs a lot, especially for broad strokes (high pass, broad shelf-like bells), but rely on PSP Master Q and MIOEQ for other stuff. Quartet DynEQ solves many problems that require surgical eq. PSP Neon in NON linear phase mode is also quite nice. And of course the Algorithmix EQs can't be beat, even in hardware, at what each color does respectively. We have a Sontec so, well, you know... sometimes hard to stay outta the analog dirt.... Wink

RX is indeed amazing. I've had it for awhile, and it's all but replaced NoNoise and Sonnox over here. It's faster/better than all other options, not by a little. Truly amazing.

When I'm working in a room with UAD I've found myself delighted by options there - very solid performers that behave like the hardware (a mix room I use has LA4s and we had LA2As at my old job, and the UAD models are so close it's scary - even the BAD things are there). I think UAD has closed the gap between models and hardware in many areas. And high end digital (Weiss, +DSP in MIOs, etc), we can do things analog never could.

Platform matters with plugs. For example PT HD STILL chops every plug back to 24 bits in TDM at the intersection, which artificially limits quality. Sadie, Sonic, WL7 (and I suspect Sequioa) will hand off however many bits the plug spits out. The best plug is only as good as it's host.

-d-

Geoff Emerick de Fake

« Reply #20 on: February 11, 2011, 08:25:46 AM »

masterhse wrote on Wed, 09 February 2011 20:56

The Sonnex Suppressor is very nice though I favor the Weiss DS-1 more often. The  Suppressor tends to be more fidgety but has a nice interface for finding a problem. In general I use the Suppressor when I just want to de-ess a vocal in an M/S configuration and use the Weiss for overall duties.
I really wanted to love Suppresser, but found out it just wouldn't live with Samp 10.
I'be downloaded the demo version of Brainworx DynEQ. Works like a charm! It pinpoints a snare or a kick or a sibillant in a busy mix.
I don't care much for plug-ins that do what analog already does. I'm generally more inclined towards plug-ins that do things only digital can do.
For that, I must admit that Waves DeBreath is pretty unique, but I haven't ordered it because I think it is not enough user-friendly.

Greg Reierson

« Reply #21 on: February 11, 2011, 11:26:12 AM »

Geoff Emerick de Fake wrote on Fri, 11 February 2011 07:25

I really wanted to love Suppresser, but found out it just wouldn't live with Samp 10.

I had the same problem with Wavelab 6. The sound is great but it was very buggy and I had to ditch it.

Other plugs I use:

Voxengo Elephant 3
Voxengo R8Brain Pro
Sonoris EQ (the old one, don't like the GUI of the new one)
dB Audioware De-Esser (best I've found besides Suppresser)
RX is on my list.

I've been trying to do more work ITB to get a feel for it but almost always go back to the analog chain. Maybe some day...

GR

Viitalahde

« Reply #22 on: February 11, 2011, 12:20:15 PM »

Greg Reierson wrote on Fri, 11 February 2011 18:26

dB Audioware De-Esser (best I've found besides Suppresser)

I've managed to completely miss this! Thanks - I'll put it to test.
Jaakko Viitalähde
Virtalähde Mastering, Kuhmoinen/Finland
http://www.virtalahde.com
   http://www.facebook.com/pages/Helsinki-Finland/Virtalahde-Ma stering/278311633180

Allen Corneau

« Reply #23 on: February 11, 2011, 02:09:03 PM »

Someone help me out here...

Someone had posted recently about an EQ plug-in that had the ability to switch individual bands between stereo, split mono, or M/S.

I've searched all the names that I can think of but I haven't found it yet. What was that plug-in?
Allen
---
Allen Corneau
Mastering Engineer
Essential Sound Mastering
www.esmastering.com

Greg Reierson

« Reply #24 on: February 11, 2011, 02:34:42 PM »

Allen Corneau wrote on Fri, 11 February 2011 13:09

Someone had posted recently about an EQ plug-in that had the ability to switch individual bands between stereo, split mono, or M/S.

The Sonoris EQ can do all of that.

GR

Allen Corneau

« Reply #25 on: February 11, 2011, 10:46:43 PM »

Greg Reierson wrote on Fri, 11 February 2011 13:34

The Sonoris EQ can do all of that.

GR

Bingo! That's the one I was thinking about.

Thanks Greg.
Allen
---
Allen Corneau
Mastering Engineer
Essential Sound Mastering
www.esmastering.com

bblackwood

« Reply #26 on: February 11, 2011, 11:10:36 PM »

Def some good things to check out here, thanks. As soon as I move to Seq 11, I'm going to run some of these through their paces...

Keep 'em coming!
Brad Blackwood
euphonic masters

Alécio Costa - Brazil

« Reply #27 on: February 12, 2011, 12:22:39 AM »

Brad, I would recommend you the following:

PSP Xenon ( new version soon..)
PSP Neon HR ( it does M-S and Stereo EQ)
PSP Master Q ( Stereo Eq  with Sat)

TC Electronic MD3 Suite ( includes Brickwall Limiter II)
I Just use the limiter instance.

I use this stuff along with my analog chain ( Crane and Pendulum stuff).
Alécio Costa Studio
High-end Mastering, Music Production
http://www.aleciocosta.com

Listen to my album at:
http://www.audiostreet.net/aleciocosta

MySpace:
http://www.myspace.com/aleciocostamasterizacao

aivoryuk

« Reply #28 on: February 12, 2011, 07:16:32 AM »

I guess Brad it depends what you are after.

You're not renowned for being a colour guy (unless things have changed), so I would probably steer clear of most of the emulations that are around.

I'm sure you have seen the threads that claim that the minimum phase  Eq plugins all sound the same which I am not even going to get into that.

I think everyone looks for different elements in a plugin, usability, graphic interface etc

I look for a solid gain structure, you would be surprised how this varies from plugin to plugin. You may try an Eq and you will hear the tonal difference but things sound a bit unstable and a bit nervous.

The ones I tend to use are the following

TG Mastering Eq _ this is not an emulation and I believe only uses the filter curves of the Eq.

Fabfilter Pro-L

Sonoris Parallel Eq - You only need small amounts to make a big difference

Gclip (free) - The way I use it is rather than boost the input level I reduce the clipping effect and then apply the make up gain with the Pro-L. I really like the results

Spitfish (free) - I know you ahve already used this.

Hope this helps

subvertbeats

« Reply #29 on: February 12, 2011, 07:54:39 AM »

mcsnare wrote on Thu, 10 February 2011 02:36

I can tell you one thing: think about upgrading to Seq 10 or 11. They are both very stable (as in never crashed on me), and Seq 7 doesn't handle plugs very well. You'll have all kind of headaches opening sessions that worked fine before you closed it.
When I started using more plugins was when I went to a separate computer to only handle that. An instance of Wavelab on live input, or whatever they call it now in WL6.
If I'd had Seq 10 or 11 then, I probably wouldn't have done the second computer. As a side benefit the plugins you get with Seq 11 are pretty rad.

Dave

+ 1 on this. Loving v11.

Eq116 i8s pretty nice too.

As for other plugins - the Fabfilter Pro-L is getting love here too.
Still using BX-Digital v2 for most corrective work ITB before going out to the chain, though Ive heard EQuality too and its really excellent, just not quite excellent enough to justify buying given the other EQs I have at my disposal.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.048 seconds with 19 queries.