R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Need help defining a term...  (Read 1805 times)

White Russian

Need help defining a term...
« on: August 26, 2004, 11:53:42 PM »

Alright guys, well, I have a quick question: What the hell is a channel strip? They seem cheaper (not always) than stand alone pres and whatnot, but ….yeah. What the hell? Whenever I ask anybody, they say “wow, you’re a nub.” And walk away like a fuckin dick. Anyway, thanx guys.

natpub

Re: Need help defining a term...
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2004, 02:43:07 AM »

Hello Ben,

Generally any single box that contains at least a mic preamp, an equalizer, and a compressor is called a channel strip. Some strips also will have some kind of hard limiter, de-esser, or whatnot. They call them that because they are freestanding emulations of a single strip yanked up out of a mix console. Indeed, early channel strips were to some extent just that.

Now, there are many boxes that have only a preamp and eqalizer, such as the Neve 1073, which people do not call strips.

But then again, there is the Chandler TG Channel Strip which only has the preamp and EQ and yet is called a "strip" by the manufacturer.

So, the term can be quite variable, and the whole thing is rather semantic.

Some of the most important features I would consider in any channel strip are if each section can be used independently, if the EQ can be switched before or after the compressor, if the bypasses truely remove any given section from the signal path, and if the power supply is built into the unit (less desirable, imo) or separate (usually more desirable, but less portable).

Channel strips appear to have the advantage of shorter, hardwired signal paths, and so may reduce problems with cables that are wearing down, poorly maintained, and could arguably reduce RFI. Clearly a main advantage is size, weight, space, and they seem most useful for portable rigs.

Some people argue that the sound quality from strips is inferior to that of the same componants in stand-alone housing. While I think this may likely be true of the lower-budget type units, I would advise actual listening and be less hastey when considering higher end units.

The two channel strips I believe would be most attractive and reputable are the GML 2020 and Pendulum Quartet (I and II).

From a few listenings, I would personally feel that lesser boxes such as most the cheaper focusrites, and below, are not as desireable. But, I suppose one never knows till you try.

Hope that helps,

KT
Kurt Thompson
Vibrational Arts, Inc.
Blue Skyway Music
Sonic Sorcery Studios
Austin,TX/Columbus,OH

Nika Aldrich

« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2004, 09:33:25 AM »

Kurt did a good job.  We should add that in the old day when everything was done in large consoles each channel was represented by a "strip" on the mixing board.  That "strip" contained all of the controls for the audio that went through that channel.  There would be controls for the preamp, the EQ, maybe a gate, and maybe more dynamics control as well.  It also contained the master fader and all bus sends.

As the large format consoles started heading to the graveyards people would take out all of the electronics and put them in rack mount boxes and make really good sounding Neve or other "channel strip" boxes that contained mic pre, EQ, and maybe dynamics.  These were literally channels from large consoles thrown into a rack box with a power supply added.  People like Brent Averill still do this and you can find these types of boxes all over the web.  Today, many manufacturers of outboard equipment make "all in one" boxes that contain preamp, eq, and perhaps dynamics, and they call this a "channel strip," as though it was pulled from the strip on an old console.  This term has become ubiquitous to represent pre, eq, and perhaps a little more.

I hope this explains?

Cheers!
Nika.
"Digital Audio Explained" now available on sale.

Click above for sample chapter, table of contents, and more.

White Russian

« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2004, 12:39:01 PM »

Yes, thanks to both of you!

i wasnt completely certain what it was... and it looks like i was partially right.

Thanks again! Very Happy
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.051 seconds with 19 queries.