R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: longest project  (Read 8910 times)

jdg

longest project
« on: January 31, 2011, 06:02:45 PM »

how long is the longest project you've ever worked on:

actual length of disc(s)

and/or actual length between start and finish.

im still working on a project that i started in october.

many revisions, mix changes, order changes, etc later, im still doing another revision today.

as for length, i did a 4 CD set once... took me two days. everyone was happy
john mcCaig
-Mothery Earworks Clarifold Audipure

24-96 Mastering

Re: longest project
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2011, 06:56:58 PM »

jdg wrote on Tue, 01 February 2011 00:02

how long is the longest project you've ever worked on:

actual length of disc(s)

and/or actual length between start and finish.

im still working on a project that i started in october.

many revisions, mix changes, order changes, etc later, im still doing another revision today.

as for length, i did a 4 CD set once... took me two days. everyone was happy

I'm working on a project this week that has been going on since August... of 2009.
Revisions, order changes, mix changes, remixes, re-recordings, new songs, the lot.

The longest continuous work I did on a project was a 5 album restoration job. That one took two weeks all in all, lots of manual spectral editing involved. A very satisfying project though, the box set came out great and the effort put in was very much appreciated by the client.
The longest running single disc I did was a DVD-Audio with a playing time of over 5 hours. To my knowledge, it's the longest running surround sound DVD-A.
24-96 Mastering
CD - SACD - DVD

bkuijt

« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2011, 07:02:11 PM »

For me that would be a 5 SACD disc set that spans 20 hours and 8 minutes of all Bach's organ works.
aprox. 240 minutes per disc (max is 256 in stereo)
Bastiaan Kuijt  //  BK Audio  //  www.bkaudio.nl

Greg Reierson

« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2011, 07:13:34 PM »

That's an easy one. It was an album of Chopin Etudes. 17 versions over about three years. The guy kept re-recording and editing new chunks in. It had more stitches than a quilt. Sort of a time capsule of what his piano sounded like over time. Old, new, summer, winter, hot day, cold day, moved mics, re-tuned piano, etc.

Fed my kids for months on that one.

GR

hnewman

« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2011, 07:44:42 PM »

I finished a 5-disc set today in fact, although a few of the discs were fairly short (under 40 mins.)

chrisdoremus

« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2011, 09:46:46 PM »

Currently working on a 13 disc box set since about a year ago. It comes in very little chunks at a time. Maybe that counts. It involves tons of tape transfers, mastering and indecision.

Jerry Tubb

« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2011, 10:15:26 PM »

I did 13 versions of a CD project for a great hippie musician here in Austin back in the 90s.
He kept recording new songs, wanted the new songs up front in the project.
Here's the kicker; version 12 was even pressed and released, but we still did a version 13 that got released later.

Every October for the past 18 years we do a double CD project for a great Americana radio station here in A-town
Usually 40 songs, a lot of rough live recordings, with lots of repairs to make to each track.
Full editing, EQ and perhaps a dash of reverb.
We usually spend about 8-10 full blocked out days on it.
One year the length of both discs was well over 79 minutes... 79:58 iirc.
Great repeat client, they throw a huge anniversary party every year for it's release.

Another set of 5 projects were new age meditation chants, the pickiest client ever, a great ol' hippie guy as well.
These were done over a period of about ten years.
In addition to the audible sound of the project, results had to produce the desired effect in resonating the chakras, etc.
We'd do a dozen+ versions of each project over a period of months until it was tweaked to perfect Om-age.

Cheers, JT
Terra Nova Mastering
Celebrating 20 years of Mastering!

crna59

« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2011, 10:19:26 PM »

did a 30th anniversay 6 disc set a few months back. Took about a month.
Puget Sound Studios
Bruce A. Brown
Mastering & Post Production
Seattle, WA

It is easier to ask for forgiveness than to ask for permission! Buy! Buy buy....  

lowland

« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2011, 01:38:27 AM »

A few years ago I edited and mastered half an unabridged audiobook of War and Peace, 26 of 52 CDs. I often wondered who and how many eventually bought it.
Nigel Palmer
Lowland Masters
Essex, UK
www.lowlandmasters.com

Viitalahde

« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2011, 01:57:59 AM »

Number of revisions: Seven or eight, most of them being small edits like adding 0,5dB of gain to the chorus. Picky but pleased customers, and nice people in general.

Longest time period: A couple of months, but I can't remember what the project was. Must've been traumatic. Many mix changes anyway.

Longest continuous work: a 7-disc box of the artist's career of 30 years. Three weeks, not everyday but almost. Mostly CD's, some cassettes. The track order kept on changing, which was a good thing because the final arrangement works really well.

Longest album: A hip hop album, on which two tracks were left off after the customer realized there would be no way to fit them in. I think it was still only some seconds away from being absolutely stuffed.
Jaakko Viitalähde
Virtalähde Mastering, Kuhmoinen/Finland
http://www.virtalahde.com
   http://www.facebook.com/pages/Helsinki-Finland/Virtalahde-Ma stering/278311633180

bigaudioblowhard

« Reply #10 on: February 01, 2011, 02:41:44 AM »

Jan Berry (of Jan And Dean-RIP) 2 years ('94/'95'ish) mastering "Second Wave" album, I was accompanying him to Cherokee to record extra guitars onto DAT, lined up and bounced in Sonic Solutions, pitch correcting 3 frames of a full mix, many times (!?!), overdubbing keyboard in the mastering room, adding spoken word outro's, recorded in the mastering room, most tracks had about 10 dB of compression on Bob Norbergs modded LA2A's, with Jan begging for more, about 40 sequences later, we had it, a fully completed disaster!

bab

Thomas W. Bethel

« Reply #11 on: February 01, 2011, 08:26:18 AM »

Did a mastering for a "cover band" we went through so many revisions I lost count. 1/4 dB here, a little more top eq there and that was only the first 30 seconds of the first song. 14 songs in all. It took about a month and when it was done the "band" disbanded but luckily they paid me first.

Longest single day of mastering was 13 hours strait with no breaks. Still feeling that one in my back.

It was one of those "it has to get done today because it needs to be at Disk Makers tomorrow" types of jobs. We started at 7 pm and went until 8 am the next morning. I had a another client at 10 am so I did not get to bed until about 4 pm in the afternoon. I was really tired.
-TOM-

Thomas W. Bethel
Managing Director
Acoustik Musik, Ltd.
Room With a View Productions
http://www.acoustikmusik.com/

Doing what you love is freedom.
Loving what you do is happiness.

Nick Sevilla

« Reply #12 on: February 02, 2011, 12:01:55 PM »

As to length of final program material : 14 hours of self-hypnosis CDs, ranging from weight loss to IBS.

As to length to complete a single album = 1.5 years continuously, 40 hours per week.

Cheers
-------------------------------------------------
It is quite possible, captain, that they find us grotesque and ugly and many people fear beings different from themselves.

www.nicksevilla.com

Greg Youngman

« Reply #13 on: February 02, 2011, 01:31:36 PM »

bigaudioblowhard wrote on Mon, 31 January 2011 23:41

Jan Berry (of Jan And Dean-RIP) 2 years ('94/'95'ish) mastering "Second Wave" album, I was accompanying him to Cherokee to record extra guitars onto DAT, lined up and bounced in Sonic Solutions, pitch correcting 3 frames of a full mix, many times (!?!), overdubbing keyboard in the mastering room, adding spoken word outro's, recorded in the mastering room, most tracks had about 10 dB of compression on Bob Norbergs modded LA2A's, with Jan begging for more, about 40 sequences later, we had it, a fully completed disaster!

bab

I miss MGM/Cherokee.  What splendid sounding rooms.
Web Site
My Space
Blog

"Everyone's a guitar player... everyone's a mastering engineer." 1995 - GY

Rick O'neil

« Reply #14 on: February 02, 2011, 09:42:29 PM »

i did a rolling  4 month session which involved.. finding baking transferring EVERY recording a from a famous local rocker (johnny okeefe)  ( total 260 songs ) with many many multiple versions   ( so 600 transfers)  - due to the state of the masters it was deemed the "last time we do this - so lets do it right "

the label lost interest  early in but kept paying the bills - the artists family were not in the loop so at the end of it all the label guy said to me  .. hey you probably know this catalog better then anybody now with all this unreleased stuff showing up  - so guess what  ....your the A&R guy now !
you decide the tracks for the record - you decide the running order i will keep the label  paying the bills ... but get me a finished record within the deadline

the end result was the highest selling album the artist ever had ..and the highest rate we have ever invoiced  for an album

every week when i am out fishing on my boat at night  i keep thinking  i should rename it  the  "johhny okeefe"    Smile

then there is the boys next door- first record  ( nick cave) i found some unreleased tracks on a wierdly marked  tape once while doing another project  and the label have been messing around with that record in various forms  with me now for 6 years  - i dont think it is ever coming out Sad

Rick
turtlerockmastering.com
"i think we went to different schools together"
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.09 seconds with 20 queries.