R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: International Magnetic Tape Shipping  (Read 3585 times)

Greg Youngman

International Magnetic Tape Shipping
« on: January 31, 2011, 04:44:02 PM »

I'm about to start work with a European publisher.  He wants to send me a few 10½" x ¼" tapes.  My concern is how to minimize damage and any magnetic erasure along the way.  Any advice as to the best way to ship these would be most appreciated.

TNX, GY
Web Site
My Space
Blog

"Everyone's a guitar player... everyone's a mastering engineer." 1995 - GY

Greg Reierson

Re: International Magnetic Tape Shipping
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2011, 05:09:50 PM »

Pack them with lots of space between the reels and the outside of the box. Bubble wrap around the reels in a box full of packing peanuts works well. The more space and cushion, the less likely they are to be affected by random magnetic fields and mechanical shock.

GR

Greg Youngman

« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2011, 05:17:41 PM »

Greg Reierson wrote on Mon, 31 January 2011 14:09

Pack them with lots of space between the reels and the outside of the box. Bubble wrap around the reels in a box full of packing peanuts works well. The more space and cushion, the less likely they are to be affected by random magnetic fields and mechanical shock.

GR

I follow you, and completely agree along with each reel in a large ziploc.  What is our best courier option these days?
Web Site
My Space
Blog

"Everyone's a guitar player... everyone's a mastering engineer." 1995 - GY

Mark Donahue

« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2011, 07:55:03 PM »

I can tell you that the biggest risk to a tape in transit is getting lost, not getting erased.
The tapes we get from the different vaults are virtually all shipped the same way. A heavy double walled cardboard box, inside are all the tapes in a single poly bag and peanuts to protect the tape from angry baggage handlers.
DO NOT!!! mark the box as "fragile", "Magnet Material enclosed" or anything else. This will ensure the box gets lost or damaged.
In the states, all the tapes come UPS ground. All. To be honest, I don't remember how the last European tape was shipped, but it is usually either Fedex or DHL.

All the best,
-mark
Mark Donahue
Chief Mastering Engineer
Soundmirror, Inc.
Boston, MA
http://www.soundmirror.com
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.067 seconds with 21 queries.