R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: shopping for a vocal mic  (Read 9312 times)

Barry Hufker

Re: shopping for a vocal mic
« Reply #15 on: January 30, 2011, 12:56:31 AM »

One the regular vintage mic sites has a U87 (original version) for $2200.

But I can certainly "second" the Milab DC 196.  It's a very fine mic for many things.

Barry

Wireline

« Reply #16 on: January 30, 2011, 08:38:09 AM »

Grant, if you ask around in Nashvegas, you might discover an awful lot of folks use an SM7 for an awful lot of things vocally.  Although not a Nashville guy here, I use them for quite a wide variety of vocal chores, and rarely do they let me down.

Not always "the best" (whatever that means" but very seldom the least desirable on any voice.  Dern sight cheaper than your budget, too, which will allow you some other options as well.

Jes opinion.
Ken Morgan
Wireline Studio
Midland, Texas
www.wirelinestudio.com

Fletcher

« Reply #17 on: January 30, 2011, 09:21:09 AM »

Barry Hufker wrote on Sun, 30 January 2011 00:56

But I can certainly "second" the Milab DC 196.  It's a very fine mic for many things.

Yeah - I know I said I wouldn't talk about specific models of mics when I joined this thread but the Milab stuff is soooo good and soooo overlooked by far too many in our industry that I thought I'd chime in to say that they do indeed build EXCELLENT sounding mics!!!

I've used Milabs for years - they've been like a "secret weapon" for me... but maybe its time that the secret got out a little more than it has in the past.

Those microphones are more than certainly worth a look, listen and trial in your studio... if not for vocals, then a ton of other potential uses!!!

Peace.
CN Fletcher

mwagener wrote on Sat, 11 September 2004 14:33
We are selling emotions, there are no emotions in a grid

"Recording engineers are an arrogant bunch.  
If you've spent most of your life with a few thousand dollars worth of musicians in the studio, making a decision every second and a half... and you and  they are going to have to live with it for the rest of your lives, you'll get pretty arrogant too.  It takes a certain amount of balls to do that... something around three"
Malcolm Chisholm

grantis

« Reply #18 on: January 30, 2011, 11:11:11 AM »

Wireline wrote on Sun, 30 January 2011 07:38

Grant, if you ask around in Nashvegas, you might discover an awful lot of folks use an SM7 for an awful lot of things vocally.  Although not a Nashville guy here, I use them for quite a wide variety of vocal chores, and rarely do they let me down.

Not always "the best" (whatever that means" but very seldom the least desirable on any voice.  Dern sight cheaper than your budget, too, which will allow you some other options as well.

Jes opinion.

Thanks!  

I owned an SM-7 for a while, and at some point would like to get another one.  They're good mics, and are 'serviceable' on many things, just not what i'm looking for in this case.

I found a Milab on craigslist...hoping the guy will let me try before i buy.  Fingers crossed!
Grant Craig
Nuovo Music (Me)
Skiddco Music (Where I work)
Work History (Well, some of it anyway)
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.061 seconds with 18 queries.