R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [3]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: My day at the Doctor  (Read 25762 times)

Tidewater

Re: My day at the Doctor
« Reply #30 on: January 24, 2011, 03:55:04 AM »

mgod wrote on Sun, 23 January 2011 16:01

Tidewater wrote on Wed, 19 January 2011 21:53

Because the development of most modern treatment is funded by America. Without that, there is the alternative.. the alternative to new technology... none.

Mmmm.... Kool-Aid. So good with added sugar!

Really? The truth probably is between us. You like me, you really like me.
Time Magazine's 2007 Man of the Year

YZ

« Reply #31 on: January 24, 2011, 07:34:14 AM »

Tidewater wrote on Mon, 24 January 2011 06:55

Because the development of most modern treatment is funded by America. Without that, there is the alternative.. the alternative to new technology... none.

Well Miles, I'm waiting for you to point to reliable sources of information that corroborate your statement that "the development of most modern treatment is funded by America".

In my understanding, "funded by America" means "paid for by the government of the USA", please enlighten me if that is not correct.

regards,

YZ

mgod

« Reply #32 on: January 24, 2011, 12:00:39 PM »

I think his point is that there are no modern medical treatments or drugs developed anywhere outside the US. And of course, we all know that's the truth.

Or at least "truth-like".

As Colbert points out, for certain microcosms of mentality, it feels good to believe. And there are a number of for-profit concerns that make a lot of money by feeding beliefs like that. The US, after all, is a very special place. Far more special than anywhere else - so it must be true, because it feels so good, like a gun in the hand.
"There IS no Coolometer." - Larry Janus

mgod

« Reply #33 on: January 24, 2011, 12:03:43 PM »

zakco wrote on Sun, 23 January 2011 23:41

The fact that we're even having this conversation blows my mind...

Z

Yeah, but you're a Canadian, man - what do you know? Here in The Greatest Nation That Ever Was or Ever Will Be, we all know that any Canadian who denies hating his health care system or envying us ours is just lying for some ignorant patriotic purpose.

Berolzheimer

« Reply #34 on: January 24, 2011, 12:49:24 PM »

YZ wrote on Mon, 24 January 2011 04:34

Tidewater wrote on Mon, 24 January 2011 06:55

Well Miles, I'm waiting for you to point to reliable sources of information that corroborate your statement that "the development of most modern treatment is funded by America".

In my understanding, "funded by America" means "paid for by the government of the USA", please enlighten me if that is not correct.

Yeah, & that 8 year ban on stem cell research really helped things along, didn't it?
The film sound side of my life:
http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0077235/

A bunch of songs I've recorded and/or mixed are here:
http://www.zget.me/billionaires/

DarinK

« Reply #35 on: January 25, 2011, 05:04:19 PM »

Profit motive does not compel scientists to search for medical breakthroughs.  They'll gladly do that for government wages.  Profit motive does mean that scientists cannot all work together, and instead must keep all their work private & secure, which slows progress.  And the need for big profits for investors & big pharma / big medicine CEO's & stockholders has at least three other negative consequences:  1) medication/etc. gets rushed to market even if it is not actually an improvement over current options, & even if it is harmful;  2) more people making a profit raises prices; & 3) only treatments that have the potential to make a big profit are studied, which is why there is now very little study of natural remedies or the effects of diet.

mgod

« Reply #36 on: January 25, 2011, 05:12:51 PM »

There's more to it - a few years ago I met  bio researcher who worked at a Pharm company here in town. He left his R&D job at the company and went over to the admin department because R&D was specifically instructed to NOT invest any effort into cures, only into symptom maintenance.
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.092 seconds with 17 queries.