R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Down

Author Topic: the last of the NOS Plextor Premiums?  (Read 20554 times)

TotalSonic

the last of the NOS Plextor Premiums?
« on: January 24, 2011, 05:56:16 PM »

I've noticed that for most burner drive models for the Plextor Premium line being sold by the last source I knew for them in the USA - http://www.esaitech.com - has been changing in their condition descriptions to "refurbished/recertified" instead of "new" - but just a heads up that the Premium 52-35-52 USB-externals being sold there (at somewhat exorbitant price) are in fact NOS (new old stock - i.e. never previously used) according to both their site and the customer service rep I spoke directly with.  
 http://www.esaitech.com/commerce/ccp50638-plextor-px-premium -u-sw-52x-32x-52x-plexwriter-pr-px-premium-u-1005971.htm

Considering the reports of mediocre performance of Optidrive Control, Plexutilities, and KProbe's BLER check accuracy relative to the old Plextools - it seems to me that this is one piece of "vintage digital" actually worth paying a premium for.  

Anyway - I just ordered another backup unit considering that I had one of my older Premium drives go down recently.  I figure we're at the tail end of even NOS Plextor "Premium" line drives being available.

Best regards,
Steve Berson

mcsnare

Re: the last of the NOS Plextor Premiums?
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2011, 08:31:38 PM »

Plextor sells a new drive that works with an updated version of Plextools. I can't remember the model off the top of my head, but I use it everyday.

Dave

TotalSonic

« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2011, 08:55:37 PM »

mcsnare wrote on Mon, 24 January 2011 20:31

Plextor sells a new drive that works with an updated version of Plextools. I can't remember the model off the top of my head, but I use it everyday.

Dave

There were the Premium 2's - but I haven't seen these available outside of European and Asian sellers - and apparently they are very difficult to source even from these at this point.

There were some of the older (now discontinued) 7xx series combo drives that were also part of the "Premium" line and compatible with Plextools' "Q-check" BLER testing (I use two 760's daily here in fact).

But afaik all the recent Plextor drives are rebranded drives (mainly from LiteOn) that use the new "Plexutilities" software - that from what I've seen has proven in tests to not be anywhere as near as accurate as Plextools in terms of BLER checks.  (I'm glad if folks can point to their own or other tests that run contrary to this info though.)

SO - is the drive you are using running Plexutilities?  Or is there something else out now that I wasn't aware of?  Do you mind checking what the model # is?

Best regards,
Steve Berson

lowland

« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2011, 03:30:44 AM »

I have two new Premium 2s (one in an unopened box) here, hopefully that'll tide me over to whatever the next suitable drive or way of doing things turns out to be - my current working P2 is doing fine at the moment after 3+ years.
Nigel Palmer
Lowland Masters
Essex, UK
www.lowlandmasters.com

SafeandSound

« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2011, 08:00:02 AM »

It is a bit of a pickle because I know of no real alternative which feels as secure. Here's to hoping.
UK's No.1 Online Mastering studio, free previews :

http://www.masteringmastering.co.uk/
online mastering

bblackwood

« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2011, 08:06:15 AM »

lowland wrote on Tue, 25 January 2011 02:30

I have two new Premium 2s (one in an unopened box) here, hopefully that'll tide me over to whatever the next suitable drive or way of doing things turns out to be - my current working P2 is doing fine at the moment after 3+ years.

Yah, I bought a half-dozen Plex Premiums four or five years ago and stored them away. As the demand for discs drops every year, these will likely last me until I retire...
Brad Blackwood
euphonic masters

HDTT

« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2011, 08:25:25 AM »

If you look on some European sites there is some available got 2 within the last six months. But you have to do some digging

OTR-jkl

« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2011, 08:47:09 AM »

As I'm just getting into Win7, I'm wondering if PlexTools will work in that OS (Pro 64). Anybody know...?
J Lowes ยท OTR Mastering
Professional Audio Production for Life
www.ShoutLife.com/OTRMastering

lowland

« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2011, 08:53:06 AM »

bblackwood wrote on Tue, 25 January 2011 13:06

As the demand for discs drops every year, these will likely last me until I retire...

Yes, I'm certainly seeing a reduction in masters as audio CDs and also CD refs. With the rise in DDP takeup coupled with increased approval via the internet (I plan to buy DDP Player OEM soon to promote this) and more work intended for purely digital distribution, my CDR usage has roughly halved in the last year or so.
Nigel Palmer
Lowland Masters
Essex, UK
www.lowlandmasters.com

Jerry Tubb

« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2011, 10:14:22 AM »

bblackwood wrote on Tue, 25 January 2011 07:06

Yah, I bought a half-dozen Plex Premiums four or five years ago and stored them away. As the demand for discs drops every year, these will likely last me until I retire...

Yeah we bought a bunch of 716s, 755s and Premiums a few years ago, they're holding up pretty well. Lost a few over the years.

We currently have four of 'em running daily, with 4 NOS spares.

I don't expect 'em to last till I retire, since I'll probably working till I'm 80, then found keeled over the Sontec : - )

Seriously though, Doug, Bernie, and Bob are all still working, didn't know retirement was in the music industry vocabulary.

Best, JT

Terra Nova Mastering
Celebrating 20 years of Mastering!

dave-G

« Reply #10 on: January 25, 2011, 02:08:44 PM »

lowland wrote on Tue, 25 January 2011 03:30

Same here.  I've got a pair of NIB Premium 2s, a Premium 2 in service for burning, and one of the USB enclosed ones that lives in VMWare Fusion for Plextools.   Just bought another of those from the esaitech site as a backup for that, but given the growing proportion of masters delivered as DDP and changing demands, I think even this small pile may last me until Brad retires.
DAVE GREENBERG
SONOPOD MASTERING

crna59

« Reply #11 on: January 25, 2011, 05:02:51 PM »

OTR-jkl wrote on Tue, 25 January 2011 07:47

As I'm just getting into Win7, I'm wondering if PlexTools will work in that OS (Pro 64). Anybody know...?

At least it works in Pro-32
Puget Sound Studios
Bruce A. Brown
Mastering & Post Production
Seattle, WA

It is easier to ask for forgiveness than to ask for permission! Buy! Buy buy....  

TotalSonic

« Reply #12 on: January 25, 2011, 07:17:52 PM »

dave-G wrote on Tue, 25 January 2011 14:08

lowland wrote on Tue, 25 January 2011 03:30

Same here.  I've got a pair of NIB Premium 2s, a Premium 2 in service for burning, and one of the USB enclosed ones that lives in VMWare Fusion for Plextools.   Just bought another of those from the esaitech site as a backup for that, but given the growing proportion of masters delivered as DDP and changing demands, I think even this small pile may last me until Brad retires.

Dave -
Where did you purchase your Premium 2's from?

Best regards,
Steve Berson

dave-G

« Reply #13 on: January 25, 2011, 07:21:36 PM »

TotalSonic wrote on Tue, 25 January 2011 19:17

Dave -

Plextor USA had some back in 2006 ... I bought my bunch directly from them.

-Dave
DAVE GREENBERG
SONOPOD MASTERING

TotalSonic

« Reply #14 on: January 25, 2011, 07:37:14 PM »

dave-G wrote on Tue, 25 January 2011 19:21

TotalSonic wrote on Tue, 25 January 2011 19:17

Dave -

Plextor USA had some back in 2006 ... I bought my bunch directly from them.

-Dave

oh well, I'm 5 years late to that party!

Best,
Steve B.
Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.028 seconds with 19 queries.