R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Down

Author Topic: the last of the NOS Plextor Premiums?  (Read 20556 times)

domc

Re: the last of the NOS Plextor Premiums?
« Reply #15 on: January 25, 2011, 08:07:50 PM »

OTR-jkl wrote on Tue, 25 January 2011 23:47

As I'm just getting into Win7, I'm wondering if PlexTools will work in that OS (Pro 64). Anybody know...?

Works fine for me
Domc

Mastering Engineer
Dominic McGlinn B.Mus.T. (Hons)

Margate, QLD
+61421961641

www.domc.com.au
dom@domc.com.au

TotalSonic

« Reply #16 on: January 25, 2011, 08:31:50 PM »

Small update:  I think I might have found another source for 755's but I need to find out from them whether these are refurbished or actually NOS.  

Best regards,
Steve Berson

Allen Corneau

« Reply #17 on: January 26, 2011, 01:26:11 PM »

My 716 seems to be going south as it's getting picky about burning DVD's but reads fine (for now).

I just picked up a used one off eBay for $35 so I hope to stay running for a while longer, but a better solution would be nice.
Allen
---
Allen Corneau
Mastering Engineer
Essential Sound Mastering
www.esmastering.com

mcsnare

« Reply #18 on: February 11, 2011, 01:17:58 PM »

TotalSonic wrote on Mon, 24 January 2011 20:55

mcsnare wrote on Mon, 24 January 2011 20:31

Plextor sells a new drive that works with an updated version of Plextools. I can't remember the model off the top of my head, but I use it everyday.

Dave

There were the Premium 2's - but I haven't seen these available outside of European and Asian sellers - and apparently they are very difficult to source even from these at this point.

There were some of the older (now discontinued) 7xx series combo drives that were also part of the "Premium" line and compatible with Plextools' "Q-check" BLER testing (I use two 760's daily here in fact).

But afaik all the recent Plextor drives are rebranded drives (mainly from LiteOn) that use the new "Plexutilities" software - that from what I've seen has proven in tests to not be anywhere as near as accurate as Plextools in terms of BLER checks.  (I'm glad if folks can point to their own or other tests that run contrary to this info though.)

SO - is the drive you are using running Plexutilities?  Or is there something else out now that I wasn't aware of?  Do you mind checking what the model # is?

Best regards,
Steve Berson

Steve, I'm using a PX-880SA with PlexUtilities v 1.3
Seems to work fine for checking errors.

Dave

TotalSonic

« Reply #19 on: February 11, 2011, 01:39:19 PM »

mcsnare wrote on Fri, 11 February 2011 13:17

TotalSonic wrote on Mon, 24 January 2011 20:55

mcsnare wrote on Mon, 24 January 2011 20:31

Plextor sells a new drive that works with an updated version of Plextools. I can't remember the model off the top of my head, but I use it everyday.

Dave

There were the Premium 2's - but I haven't seen these available outside of European and Asian sellers - and apparently they are very difficult to source even from these at this point.

There were some of the older (now discontinued) 7xx series combo drives that were also part of the "Premium" line and compatible with Plextools' "Q-check" BLER testing (I use two 760's daily here in fact).

But afaik all the recent Plextor drives are rebranded drives (mainly from LiteOn) that use the new "Plexutilities" software - that from what I've seen has proven in tests to not be anywhere as near as accurate as Plextools in terms of BLER checks.  (I'm glad if folks can point to their own or other tests that run contrary to this info though.)

SO - is the drive you are using running Plexutilities?  Or is there something else out now that I wasn't aware of?  Do you mind checking what the model # is?

Best regards,
Steve Berson

Steve, I'm using a PX-880SA with PlexUtilities v 1.3
Seems to work fine for checking errors.

Dave

Dave -
Have you verified any of the Plexutilities test results with Plextools, Clover, Stagetech or Eclipse?  I guess if you are getting no "fails" on provided CD-R's from the plants then no news is good news - but I'm still interested in knowing whether PlexUtilities returns the same results as Plextools

A few reports from others I've seen have stated that Plextools has found errors where PlexUtilities have found none - but it's possible this has been changed in a more recent update of PlexUtilities.

Best regards,
Steve Berson

Table Of Tone

« Reply #20 on: February 14, 2011, 08:43:21 AM »

Although I stocked up on 700 and premium series Plextors a few years ago, I also recently bought a new PX880 just to checkout the newer Plexutilities.

I found that the new software was not picking up the errors that Plextools was.

I also found that burns on my new PX880 came out looking really bad on C1's, when checked on a 700 series and Plextools.

Maybe my 880 is just a bad one?  

SafeandSound

« Reply #21 on: February 16, 2011, 01:01:00 PM »

The 800's are not great I have one in a SADiE 4 machine (which is not identifiable by the SADIE as it needs SCSI). I can use it as a back up for basic burns/rips etc. The PC it is in died a while back so I will pull it and use it in my internet machine.

So many computers to administrate. Rolling Eyes
UK's No.1 Online Mastering studio, free previews :

http://www.masteringmastering.co.uk/
online mastering

mcsnare

« Reply #22 on: February 16, 2011, 03:45:44 PM »

Table Of Tone wrote on Mon, 14 February 2011 08:43

Although I stocked up on 700 and premium series Plextors a few years ago, I also recently bought a new PX880 just to checkout the newer Plexutilities.

I also found that burns on my new PX880 came out looking really bad on C1's, when checked on a 700 series and Plextools.

Maybe my 880 is just a bad one?  

Or maybe Plextools was picking up more errors than was really there? Just sayin'.

Dave

Table Of Tone

« Reply #23 on: February 16, 2011, 05:56:29 PM »

I did quite a few cross checks with some other drives along with CD masters that came out showing unusually low errors.

Plextools seems to be more consistant when checking the same disc several times.

I seem to be getting the lowest errors with discs burnt on Sony Optiarc drives at 8x.

I only really use the old 700 series Plextors for checking.

The one thing about Plexutilities that I think is cool is the blank disc check that shows any bad spots.

That test can show up before burning what will up as a C2 on Plextools, after burning.

TotalSonic

« Reply #24 on: February 16, 2011, 06:50:05 PM »

mcsnare wrote on Wed, 16 February 2011 15:45

Or maybe Plextools was picking up more errors than was really there? Just sayin'.

Possible but unlikely.  If anything the ultimate arbiter as it is the one used at the majority of plants is the Eclipse test - and in general Eclipse will find errors where even Plextools doesn't.

I'd figure if anywhere would have a Clover or Stagetech (which many have found to be more accurate than Plextools) to confirm or contradict differences in Plextools and Plexutilities it would be Sterling.  Maybe you can ask some of the QC assistants to check a couple discs for you and let us know what you find?

Best regards,
Steve Berson

Allen Corneau

« Reply #25 on: February 16, 2011, 08:08:10 PM »

Maybe another reason to push more plants to take DDP images instead of having to burn physical media?

I'd love to give up the aggravations of all the things that can go wrong making a CD-R master (C2 errors, printing goofs, lost in the mail, etc.) and stick with MD5-checked DDP images.
Allen
---
Allen Corneau
Mastering Engineer
Essential Sound Mastering
www.esmastering.com

Jerry Tubb

« Reply #26 on: February 17, 2011, 12:31:49 AM »

I saw a Plextor Premium on net today for 250 bucks, seems a tad high, but if you really need one, worth it. After all it is a critical gear item.

I did find a NOS 716 recently for a reasonable price, but those finds are getting rare as hens teeth.

on a related topic my supplies of TY discs keep creeping down in quality, still within spec, but not super low errors like 5years ago.

I suppose sending a DDP image on a DVD-R will supplant CD-R masters at some point.

JT
Terra Nova Mastering
Celebrating 20 years of Mastering!

Rick Sutton

« Reply #27 on: February 17, 2011, 01:50:20 AM »

Jerry Tubb wrote on Wed, 16 February 2011 21:31

on a related topic my supplies of TY discs keep creeping down in quality, still within spec, but not super low errors like 5years ago.

Seeing the same here.

bigaudioblowhard

« Reply #28 on: February 17, 2011, 01:59:19 AM »

Rick Sutton wrote on Wed, 16 February 2011 23:50

Jerry Tubb wrote on Wed, 16 February 2011 21:31

Seeing the same here.

copy

bab

James Perrett

« Reply #29 on: February 17, 2011, 09:18:05 AM »

Table Of Tone wrote on Mon, 14 February 2011 13:43

It is worth remembering that the hardware is different too. The old Plextors used Sanyo chipsets while the newer Plextors with error checking (which are mainly rebadged LiteOns) use Mediatek chipsets. I suspect that the hardware reports errors differently.

Plextools only works properly with the Sanyo based drives while I suspect that Plex Utilities only works properly with the Mediatek drives.

James.
James Perrett - JRP Music - Audio Mastering and Restoration.
http://www.jrpmusic.net
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.101 seconds with 19 queries.