R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Suggestions for Studio Lighting  (Read 12151 times)

Jay Kadis

Re: Suggestions for Studio Lighting
« Reply #15 on: January 24, 2011, 09:54:21 PM »

Track lights are susceptible to mechanical vibration, at least the cans we have.  We had to epoxy the internal wiring to keep it from buzzing on low bass notes.   (One track has a mouse pad jammed in to stop rattling.)   But they are cheap especially if this isn't a permanent room.

jwhynot

« Reply #16 on: January 25, 2011, 12:50:03 AM »

I like to have 2 different sets of lights - working lights, which are akin to what I have in my living room.  And "working lights" or more properly "cleaning/technical work" lights - bright enough to land a 747.

With that in mind - I find I can often just leave the fluorescent fixtures where they are, treat the area around them to absorb light (depending on the situation, either paint it dark or hang something up there that's dark) - then the living room style lights can leave enough shadow up there that the ugly fixtures are not bothersome.

Then, when it's time to pick up/clean up/run cables I can put the ugly lights on long enough to get the job done.

2 levels of lighting works like a bastard for me.

JW
one of both the most and least successful producers of ALL TIME!

Bob Olhsson

« Reply #17 on: January 25, 2011, 01:54:42 PM »

I'd look seriously into LEDs because incandescents are rapidly going away much like CRT TV sets did.

Spindrift

« Reply #18 on: January 25, 2011, 06:55:18 PM »

Yes, it looks like LEDs are the way to go at this point. I don't really care about the actual dimming during the fade as I'd likely set them and leave them or adjust them rarely to different moods.

Fiasco makes a great suggestion with the addition of some large swaths of fire-safe material (muslin?) which you could spot-light and use some indirect lighting to good effect (or is it affect?).

The end goal would be the artist's inspiration when walking into a space such as this....and how to do it w/o breaking the bank.

I appreciate all the input.
Keith

jpaul_bordon

« Reply #19 on: January 25, 2011, 08:01:50 PM »

Yeah, go DC led's everywhere.  I also picked up some old HP "Boat Anchor"  power supplies cheap and ran 12v and 9v all over the studio. Saved a fortune on batteries for stomp/headphone boxes and there was never any hum associated with those Wall Warts that lucifer himself designed.  You might try RV lighting searches?

Spindrift

« Reply #20 on: January 26, 2011, 06:10:46 PM »

Why is it that when I stand in LED lighting, it feels as if I'm listening to a black-faced ADAT in 1992?

svs95

« Reply #21 on: January 26, 2011, 07:48:59 PM »

I can't believe we're giving up tubes for solid state. AGAIN!

Shocked    Laughing
Stephen Smith
Soundsmiths Mastering, Inc.
www.soundsmiths.net

0dbfs

« Reply #22 on: January 26, 2011, 08:15:15 PM »

Why is it that when I stand in LED lighting, it feels as if I'm listening to a black-faced ADAT in 1992?

Yes that is sort of what it feels like depending on the color temp of the fixture.

BUT... They do have correction, theatrical, and effect gels which can provide relief.

Cheers,
jonathan
Jonathan Burtner
Music is Everything!
Audio is Everything Else!

Jim Williams

« Reply #23 on: January 28, 2011, 11:09:12 AM »

Artificial light looks, well, artificial.

I have a solartube installed in my controI room. It allows natural light to fill the entire room so I don't need electric lights as long as the sun is up.

Along with lots of high windows, this place is flooded with San Diego sunshine, 300+ days a year.

Nothing makes a creative space more sterile than artificial light.
Jim Williams
Audio Upgrades
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.049 seconds with 22 queries.