R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Engineers who fell in with the wrong crowd.  (Read 3817 times)

breathe

Engineers who fell in with the wrong crowd.
« on: January 24, 2011, 03:04:22 AM »

I'm fucking serious man.  This ain't no high school "after school special".  Some of my idols, men who were directly responsible for some of the greatest recordings of all time, new technology came out and either through industry pressure to adopt it or because they were so sick of the specific fidelity problems and inconveniences of the otherwise sonically superior gear they'd used to create what would later be called masterpieces, they succumbed to the pressure and sacrificed their ability to capture what really mattered.  This isn't simply engineers from the 70's switching to the dark side later on (and I've coaxed some motherfucking rants from several engineers who told me with raised voice that fidelity stopped mattering in 1978), I can think of a handful of engineers who were great in the 90's who ended up partnering with Satan.

Nicholas

ssltech

Re: Engineers who fell in with the wrong crowd.
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2011, 08:00:25 AM »

Crediting the gear purchase with responsibility for changing styles in playing, changing fashions in writing, the random nature of success (I've made dozens of projects on the SAME gear, and some have been MARKEDLY better than others) along with dozens of other factors, is the sign of a mind which doesn't 'get it'.

But -by all means- feel free to believe what you wish.
MDM (maxdimario) wrote on Fri, 16 November 2007 21:36

I have the feeling that I have more experience in my little finger than you do in your whole body about audio electronics..

mixwell

« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2011, 11:07:06 AM »

breathe wrote on Mon, 24 January 2011 02:04

I'm fucking serious man.  This ain't no high school "after school special".  Some of my idols, men who were directly responsible for some of the greatest recordings of all time, new technology came out and either through industry pressure to adopt it or because they were so sick of the specific fidelity problems and inconveniences of the otherwise sonically superior gear they'd used to create what would later be called masterpieces, they succumbed to the pressure and sacrificed their ability to capture what really mattered.  This isn't simply engineers from the 70's switching to the dark side later on (and I've coaxed some motherfucking rants from several engineers who told me with raised voice that fidelity stopped mattering in 1978), I can think of a handful of engineers who were great in the 90's who ended up partnering with Satan.

Nicholas

I like to listen to head-fi,

Its my head telling me what to do.

My gut doesn't matter.

It just f$cks me up worse.

Head or Gut?

Wireline

« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2011, 11:12:24 AM »

Mods - please make a sticky:

There ain't no magic bullets to make you sound great, or to you you sound bad.

Thanks
Ken Morgan
Wireline Studio
Midland, Texas
www.wirelinestudio.com
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.035 seconds with 16 queries.