R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: matched monitors  (Read 3864 times)

Levi Benitas

matched monitors
« on: January 22, 2011, 03:58:29 AM »

Hi, I'm about to buy a pair of Focal Twins from an online dealer.  They only sell 'em by the piece.  Why don't they sell 'em "matched", by pair??  Is it important for a monitor?  or are they all 'matched' anyway?  Are consecutive serial numbers important for monitors?
Thank you for your input,
Levi

marcel

Re: matched monitors
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2011, 03:59:07 PM »

I think with modern units of good quality, purchased new, the variation from one unit to the next is going to be pretty insignificant.  I guess you could ask the manufacturer, but if they only sell the units individually I'm sure they're pretty on top of their QC.  I mean, who buys one monitor?
Best, Marcel

Tim Halligan

« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2011, 12:17:43 PM »

marcel wrote on Sun, 23 January 2011 04:59

I I mean, who buys one monitor?

I guess it's not necessarily about buying ONE monitor...but buying and odd number for a 5.1 rig for example.

Cheers,
Tim
"Don't forget, we are all engaged in a battle to the death against mediocrity." - J. Whynot

"You can tune a room only with a bulldozer." - Andy Peters

Levi Benitas

« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2011, 01:04:43 PM »

thanks

Fletcher

« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2011, 09:51:29 AM »

That is totally what is happening on the "per piece price"... when I used to work for a reseller we cut to the chase and offered the price by the pair with the ability to add additional monitors for their "per piece" price.  The fact of the matter is that most resellers are seriously lazy.  The manufacturer gives them the product description and the price and they "copy and paste" it to their website with [in my opinion] is little thought for the convenience of the customer.

The pairs of monitors themselves are generally "sets" with a dedicated "left" and dedicated "right" [though not always] the "per piece" thing is more marketing laziness [and trying to make the initial viewing of the price for the set look lower -- though when you do the requisite work and add it all up [don't forget you have to add in the two piece shipping as well as the price of the monitors] you get the real price, or close to the real price [as the reseller will add it "the right way" prior to shipping].

It is what it is I suppose -- but then again I'm one of the ones that think that monitors should be represented by the pair.

Peace.
CN Fletcher

mwagener wrote on Sat, 11 September 2004 14:33
We are selling emotions, there are no emotions in a grid

"Recording engineers are an arrogant bunch.  
If you've spent most of your life with a few thousand dollars worth of musicians in the studio, making a decision every second and a half... and you and  they are going to have to live with it for the rest of your lives, you'll get pretty arrogant too.  It takes a certain amount of balls to do that... something around three"
Malcolm Chisholm

marcel

« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2011, 05:24:46 PM »

Tim Halligan wrote on Sun, 23 January 2011 09:17

marcel wrote on Sun, 23 January 2011 04:59

I I mean, who buys one monitor?

I guess it's not necessarily about buying ONE monitor...but buying and odd number for a 5.1 rig for example.

Cheers,
Tim

100%.  

I meant to address the manufacturer's QC confidence if they're selling units 'individually'.  Whether you buy 2 or 5, they should match up.  If not, they should be selling them in (matched) sets of 2...  Or 5.
Best, Marcel

Jim Williams

« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2011, 01:44:55 PM »

Speakers typically average around 10% THD and their responses are all over the map, if you take off the smoothing tricks they apply when testing them.

Move it 2 inches and sweep it, it will be all different again.
Pound it for 6 months and test it, it will change.

If you need a super close match, only removing the acoustic enviroment will do that. That means electrostatic headphones is the solution.
Jim Williams
Audio Upgrades
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.09 seconds with 20 queries.