R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Roger Nichols Fighting For His Life, Needs Our Help  (Read 18913 times)

David Kulka

Roger Nichols Fighting For His Life, Needs Our Help
« on: January 19, 2011, 11:37:30 PM »

I just learned that Roger Nichols has been fighting cancer since last summer and has been facing enormous expenses. Apparently the expenses have nearly wiped him out and he is asking for contributions to help pay for his current treatment.

You can learn much more about Roger's career and his current predicament as his site, http://rogernichols.com/ I'm sending a contribution as soon as I post this thread.

Those of us with gray hairs (or no hair at all) get rather used to these sad announcements. I didn't know Roger very well but did meet him a few times. He was always humble, friendly, and full of stories. The first couple of times that we met, the conversation centered on tech tales, and was amazed to later learn that he'd engineered the Mamas And Papas, Steely Dan, and so many others. This week I was further surprised, as long time diver, to see on his site that he was a Scuba instructor (his site has great photos including some he took with Jacques Cousteau and John Denver on the Calypso), not to mention astronomer, inventor, and so much more.

As a side note, but not really: I'm 57 and for the last year or so I have realized that I have one regret in my life. I have been lucky enough to meet and work with so many amazing people, some who were personal heroes of mine. Many of them were glad to talk with me and share things, but I was timid to ask, or it was late and I wanted to get home, or for whatever reason, I didn't realize just whose presence I was in. Many of those people are gone now. I wish that I had taken more time to talk, get to know them better, hear about their lives, learn more about them.

I really, really hope that Roger pulls through. Maybe I'll still have a chance to hang out with him and hear a few more of his stories. What an amazing man. Good luck Roger.
http://www.studioelectronics.biz

Service & Restoration of UREI dbx Neve Eventide Marshall AMS Tube Gear and more

zmix

Re: Roger Nichols Fighting For His Life, Needs Your Help
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2011, 12:10:38 AM »

Thanks for posting this, David.  I had heard from a friend of his that he was diagnosed with cancer...I didn't realize it was  Pancreatic cancer. That  is extremely tough.  It's also a very sad commentary on the US that serious health problems cause so many people to go bankrupt...

Silvertone

« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2011, 07:16:06 AM »

zmix wrote on Wed, 19 January 2011 23:10

Thanks for posting this, David.  I had heard from a friend of his that he was diagnosed with cancer...I didn't realize it was  Pancreatic cancer. That  is extremely tough.  It's also a very sad commentary on the US that serious health problems cause so many people to go bankrupt...

So sad to hear.

That's the same cancer that took my Mom down... that and it broke her heart that she and my Dad lost everything they worked their whole lives for just to keep her alive for 6 months in the end...  it's just not right and EVERYBODY KNOWS IT.

THIS COUNTRY SHOULD BE ASHAMED THE WAY THEY LET INSURANCE COMPANIES DICTATE OUR HEATH CARE.  FOR SHAME AMERICA!

I'll say prayers for Roger.
Larry DeVivo
Silvertone Mastering, Inc.
PO Box 4582
Saratoga Springs, NY 12866
www.silvertonemastering.com
To see some of our work please click on any of the visual trailer montages located at... http://robertetoll.com/  (all music and sound effects were mastered by Silvertone Mastering).

Kendrix

« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2011, 07:58:25 AM »

I always enjoyed Rogers technically oriented contributions to EQ back in the day - as well as the forum he hosted.

I share with him a background in Physics.

I wish him all the best in this most serious situation.

As for the health care system causing folks to go broke...I figure many will soon need to forfeit the "last six months" that can cost so very much.  The alternative may become an unsustainalbe drain on our collective resources. Perhaps this is Gods way.
Ken Favata

bblackwood

« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2011, 08:10:11 AM »

Let's not force this thread to be moved to the Saloon by interjecting social / political views into the discussion - this is about RN.

Thanks.
Brad Blackwood
euphonic masters

Bryson

« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2011, 09:58:36 AM »

Well, I just donated more than I can afford, which really isn't much at all.

This has me thinking though; What about all the well off cats he knows, and has helped become well off? Is he getting help from them, or have they already helped as much as they can?

arconaut

« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2011, 10:22:41 AM »

I wish I had ten billion dollars so I could give money to all the people who need it.

I've never met Roger but I sure know his work. Get better Roger!
You Are Number Six

wwittman

« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2011, 11:43:01 AM »

zmix wrote on Thu, 20 January 2011 00:10

Chuck, thank you SO much for being the first with the balls to post this COMPLETELY RELEVANT AND IMPORTANT comment.
Roger, and everyone, deserves better.

bblackwood wrote on Thu, 20 January 2011 08:10

Let's not force this thread to be moved to the Saloon by interjecting social / political views into the discussion - this is about RN.

Brad,
no one will "force it"... but you could inappropriately decide so.

This would be far from the first time we have talked about people and things we CARE about here.
The fear of 'offending' the obviously wrongheaded is what I personally find misplaced.

William Wittman
Producer/Engineer
(Cyndi Lauper, Joan Osborne, The Fixx, The Outfield, Hooters...)

Taproot

« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2011, 11:54:15 AM »

Having lost my beloved Mother-in-law to this dreadful disease, I certainly will pray for Roger. Her last request was that, in lieu of flowers, etc., she asked any money that would've been spent on an elaborate funeral, be donated to this organization:

http://www.lustgarten.org/

She was cremated and basically had a Pauper's Funeral, for this reason and I miss her dearly. It's a rough one.  Crying or Very Sad
Jeffrey Reed
Taproot Audio Design
Oxford, Mississippi
www.taprootaudiodesign.com
www.myspace.com/taprootaudio

"That boy's so dumb, he thinks the Mexican border pays rent!" -Foghorn Leghorn

Malcolm Boyce

« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2011, 12:14:28 PM »

For years, I read the back page of EQ mag first.

I made a donation...  I at least owe him that much.

It's a shame that it comes to this, but the fact that they can so easily set something up like that paypal account and have us all give a little is one good thing about technology these days.

...and hopefully without getting us into any trouble, I agree with William.

jrmintz

« Reply #10 on: January 20, 2011, 12:38:59 PM »

I don't think it's overtly political to say that all Americans ought to have access to health care resembling that which our congressional representatives, of all parties and ideologies, and in a rare display of unity, have given themselves. It's also not political to say that it's unconscionable that the family of a person who has had a career like Roger Nichols, or any family for that matter, should have to impoverish itself to keep a family member alive. It's a moral issue out of which some people have created a political one.

I donated as well.

jonathan jetter

« Reply #11 on: January 20, 2011, 01:03:41 PM »

David Kulka wrote on Wed, 19 January 2011 23:37

As a side note, but not really: I'm 57 and for the last year or so I have realized that I have one regret in my life. I have been lucky enough to meet and work with so many amazing people, some who were personal heroes of mine. Many of them were glad to talk with me and share things, but I was timid to ask, or it was late and I wanted to get home, or for whatever reason, I didn't realize just whose presence I was in. Many of those people are gone now. I wish that I had taken more time to talk, get to know them better, hear about their lives, learn more about them.

i'm quite a bit younger (27), but i've had a similar realization over the past year.  not just in terms of the handful of famous people i've worked for, but also a lot of lesser-known people, who are great musicians/engineers, great people, or both.  it's really hard sometimes to block out the stresses of life and break out of the routine, but it's always really worth it to spend time in conversation with great people.

jrmintz wrote

I don't think it's overtly political to say that all Americans ought to have access to health care resembling that which our congressional representatives, of all parties and ideologies, and in a rare display of unity, have given themselves. It's also not political to say that it's unconscionable that the family of a person who has had a career like Roger Nichols, or any family for that matter, should have to impoverish itself to keep a family member alive. It's a moral issue out of which some people have created a political one.

i think this says it perfectly.  i was going to write something along these lines but i don't think one could improve on seth's combination of eloquence + brevity.

i can only afford to donate a small amount, but i am going to do that, and will be keeping roger in my thoughts, and wishing him a fast + full recovery.

Ross Hogarth

« Reply #12 on: January 20, 2011, 01:55:57 PM »

I do think it important to focus on sending love and positive energy to Roger and everyone we know who is fighting for their life due to cancer.

The socio political element is not fair to be co mingled.
This starts a conversation far to wide and deep here to be mixed into the struggle.

The practice of forgiveness is our most important contribution to the healing of the world.

The standard of success in life isn't the things. It isn't the money or the stuff. It is absolutely the amount of joy that you feel.

www.hoaxproductions.com

ssltech

« Reply #13 on: January 20, 2011, 02:18:14 PM »

Donation sent.

-Politics I'm learning to despise... but perhaps social analysis or awareness shouldn't get thrown out with the bathwater.

Keith
MDM (maxdimario) wrote on Fri, 16 November 2007 21:36

I have the feeling that I have more experience in my little finger than you do in your whole body about audio electronics..

Fletcher

« Reply #14 on: January 20, 2011, 02:28:27 PM »

Ross Hogarth wrote on Thu, 20 January 2011 13:55

The socio political element is not fair to be co mingled.
This starts a conversation far to wide and deep here to be mixed into the struggle.

I fully and completely agree with Ross's thought and sentiment.  We have both lost very dear and close friends in the last 12 months and this sort of "socio - political" discussion does indeed get in the way of sending positive energy to the person you care about.

I have taken the liberty to start a thread on "Healthcare in the US" in the Saloon here's a link to that thread.

Hopefully without stepping on any toes, we can discuss our frustration with the current state of healthcare in that thread, and positive energy / well wishes in this thread.

Peace.
CN Fletcher

mwagener wrote on Sat, 11 September 2004 14:33
We are selling emotions, there are no emotions in a grid

"Recording engineers are an arrogant bunch.  
If you've spent most of your life with a few thousand dollars worth of musicians in the studio, making a decision every second and a half... and you and  they are going to have to live with it for the rest of your lives, you'll get pretty arrogant too.  It takes a certain amount of balls to do that... something around three"
Malcolm Chisholm

Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.085 seconds with 20 queries.