R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Mixing to 1/2" tape  (Read 15314 times)

compasspnt

Re: Mixing to 1/2" tape
« Reply #15 on: January 20, 2011, 09:46:29 PM »

I love feedback!

How well can you hold a 1k?

Nicky D

« Reply #16 on: January 21, 2011, 12:52:00 AM »

I did exactly what is being suggested to you..band couldn't afford to buy tape....and I liked it...in the end though at the mastering session, the ME and I leaned heavily towards the mixes printed back into the session...not sure why...not worth the hassle of printing back in at a higher sample rate ...IMO that time is best spent getting the next song up and going...however if you keep the tape and take that to mastering...that's different...I've never done that.

Fenris Wulf

« Reply #17 on: January 21, 2011, 01:26:08 AM »

zmix wrote on Wed, 19 January 2011 18:35

faganking wrote on Wed, 19 January 2011 13:10

I haven't mixed to tape in a long time. How many songs can I get on a reel?

BTW: They said they use a reel and keep going over it. I emailed yesterday and said just order me my own reel. It's less than $100 for christ sake.

At 15ips you will get 33-35 minutes on a 2500' reel... and around 17 minutes at 30ips

It's exactly 33 1/3 minutes, just like the RPM of an LP. Easy to remember.
RESIST THE CYBERNETIC OVERLORDS
KDVS Studio A

John Bailey

« Reply #18 on: January 21, 2011, 03:31:07 AM »

Hey Benjy,

I did a similar thing on a record a few years ago where we had 3 options at mastering...

To Mastering, we brought:

1. Straight off the mix bus (in-the-box 24Bit-96kHz)
2. The 1/2 masters (ATR-102)
3. The Record-Repro captured back in via nice A/D's (no print through)

In the end, we ended up going with #1 (straight off the digital mix bus).  The Mastering Engineer felt, and we agreed after doing some listening, that the analog (and of course the A/D capture of the 1/2") felt like it was down a generation, and didn't sound as good.  If you feel like the mixes are feeling a little harsh, the the 1/2 might just be the ticket, but when you A-B them, the difference in depth and detail is quite apparent.

If you're mixing on a desk, make sure you capture the 2-mix with a really nice A/D, or better yet, take Terry's suggestion and try to score one of those Korg DSD recorders.  I still think DSD is the closest thing to the real audio.

Still though, if you're going to print to 1/2", there's no better long-term archival medium really...  Well worth buying the tape...

Just some thoughts,
Cheers,
JB  
---------------------------
John Bailey
Toronto, Canada
http://johnbeetlebailey.com
http://thedriveshed.com

faganking

« Reply #19 on: January 21, 2011, 11:18:24 AM »

Thanks for your input, John.

From Scott Hull:

"When given the choice between Analog Tape and a good digital mix, the producer and I sometimes choose the hi res digital to master from as I have a very "Analog " sounding chain and can get that soft / warm / glow without the negatives from tape.

That said, you can't replicate tape and when recorded carefully its "wow". It really depends most on the machine and the care of the engineer."

Benjy King

http://www.benjyking.com

Phil Ramone quote: "If you can't get a good sound with a 57 and a Portastudio you're not going to get a good sound with a C-12 and a 3324."

mgod

« Reply #20 on: January 21, 2011, 11:23:58 AM »

1/2"  = good.

1" = better.

Also, bear this in mind:

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/file-not-found-the-re cord-industrys-digital-storage-crisis-20101207

Was it me, I'd be rolling one of Tim DeP's 1" Studers into Abbey Road and archiving all them Fabs masters.
"There IS no Coolometer." - Larry Janus

Edward Vinatea

« Reply #21 on: January 21, 2011, 11:43:11 AM »

Hi Benjy,

IMO/E, in some situations the mixing to tape is a desirable step. Mainly when working all ITB and sounding somewhat 'digital/sterile'.

Otherwise, I don't see the point. For those mixing ITB at 44.1kHz/24 bit; it has never disappointed me and still beats working with the best 1/2 inch tape recorders, hands down. Naturally some engineer folks will object to this, hence my initial comments.

Regards,

Edward

faganking wrote on Wed, 19 January 2011 12:03

On January 24th I begin mixing a record at 'Cowboy Technical Services' in Brooklyn. They have recommended I mix to their STUDER A-80 RC 1/2" 2 track which they then put back into PT at 96k and that's what goes to mastering. I've never done this. What thinks ye!

(I tried using search for this. It wouldn't go past the first page. Said 'page can't be found...and there were 15?)

faganking

« Reply #22 on: January 21, 2011, 11:58:52 AM »

Not in the box. Calrec console...lots of great outboard.

I'm going to bring Scott an off the board and a print back.

Thanks for the input guys. I can't wait to mix this project. It was recorded in a great room with great mics and amazing preamps. No EQ or compression. I plan on leaving it pretty wide open with a lot of dynamics. This is not going to be a modern slammed record.
Benjy King

Phil Ramone quote: "If you can't get a good sound with a 57 and a Portastudio you're not going to get a good sound with a C-12 and a 3324."

wwittman

« Reply #23 on: January 22, 2011, 01:18:11 PM »

I still don't get why you'd "print back"

Seems to me one would want the clear comparison of a direct into digital mix and a direct to tape mix.
By transferring the tape into digital at mastering, you in essence create that 'print back' for whatever it's worth.

William Wittman
Producer/Engineer
(Cyndi Lauper, Joan Osborne, The Fixx, The Outfield, Hooters...)

CWHumphrey

« Reply #24 on: January 22, 2011, 04:26:50 PM »

wwittman wrote on Sat, 22 January 2011 10:18

Seems to me one would want the clear comparison of a direct into digital mix and a direct to tape mix.
By transferring the tape into digital at mastering, you in essence create that 'print back' for whatever it's worth.

Exactly.

If you're going to go to the effort to print to tape, bring the tapes to mastering.  

Scott is setup to playback 1/2".

For emphasis, print tones! 1k, 10K, 15K, 100, 50Hz.

Cheers,
Carter William Humphrey

"Indeed...oh three named one!" -Terry Manning
"Or you can just have Carter do the recording, because he's Humphrey."-J.J. Blair

Bill Mueller

« Reply #25 on: January 22, 2011, 06:53:08 PM »

CWHumphrey wrote on Sat, 22 January 2011 16:26

wwittman wrote on Sat, 22 January 2011 10:18

Exactly.

If you're going to go to the effort to print to tape, bring the tapes to mastering.  

Scott is setup to playback 1/2".

For emphasis, print tones! 1k, 10K, 15K, 100, 50Hz.

Cheers,

And don't forget the tones.

Bill
"Don't take it personally. But this shit is a science." J.J.Blair

“The Internet is only a means of communication,” he wrote. “It is not an amorphous extraterrestrial body with an entitlement to norms that run counter to the fundamental principles of human rights. There is nothing in the criminal or civil law which legalizes that which is otherwise illegal simply because the transaction takes place over the Internet.” Irish judge, Peter Charleton

faganking

« Reply #26 on: January 22, 2011, 07:17:57 PM »

One more question: Should I print tones??  Laughing

To reiterate: This 'print back' thing was not MY idea, but rather suggested by the studio. Thanks again for all of the input guys.
Benjy King

wwittman

« Reply #27 on: January 22, 2011, 08:14:33 PM »

I'd go even a step further and argue AGAINST the "print back"

if you do a parallel print directly into the DAW,  you have, in essence, a safety alternative

if you do it as a 'print back', then any drop outs or flaws are simply copied.

William Wittman
Producer/Engineer
(Cyndi Lauper, Joan Osborne, The Fixx, The Outfield, Hooters...)

faganking

« Reply #28 on: January 22, 2011, 08:20:50 PM »

I'm not going to bother with it. I have six days to mix a record and don't want to spend time on something that in all likelihood won't be used.
Benjy King

bushwick

« Reply #29 on: January 22, 2011, 11:35:16 PM »

Benjy. Print to tape after your first mix and listen back to see if you even like what you are hearing back. If so, then running your mixes through tape back in to PT is a sound enhancement you like and you should keep a copy. It will certainly not sound as good as bringing tape masters in, and in the end, you may decide that the digital masters weren't made obsolete at all by the sound of the tape machine, but without trying it out, you'll not know. I print to tape and then back into PT at 96khz usually, even if the tape is getting mastered, as a safety backup. The 80RC isn't an ATR and it isn't a 820 so perhaps they may be more to your liking anyway.

Have fun. Hope it goes well.

Best,
j
Joshua Kessler
bushwick  studio
brooklyn, ny
www.bushwickstudio.com
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.066 seconds with 19 queries.